What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2 v Dolphins.

Parko1310

Juniors
Really important game. It's very winnable, and we need to win these games that are so winnable if we're to turn a corner and be in with a shot at the 8 come the back end of the year. Niu is out, but that doesn't change the fact I'm shifting the ball on set plays to that edge. Averillo isn't a phonoemenal defender either.

We've got big, powerful centres and back rowers. We need to isolate Nikorima and Katoa up against these guys. There's plenty of success to be had there.

They've got four forwards on the bench, so make JMK make as many tackles as possible in the middle. Turn those forwards around a couple of times with 3rd or 4th tackle kicks and diminish their advantage of having 4 relatively fresh forwards.

In turn, this makes them have to work their way out of their own end which they aren't great at. Bostock is still relatively lean, Hammer doesn't do any work out of his own end either. We can really dominate field position here so long as we are disciplined.

Give Bostock a few nervous moments in the air up against Lomax. Kick to Issako's edge from regulation mid-field kicks and have a big chase, hopefully Ravalawa can get there and smash him just as he catches the ball. This means their two weakest players out of the back field have to take those first few carries of the set.

Our centres will need to be on today defensively. Suli up against Herbie and Bird up against Averillo. Our centres are big, strong, powerful. Their's are more quick and agile, so that's where they'll try and get us. Players need to work hard from the inside on the chance that Bird gets burnt for pace by Averillo or Suli gets outdone by Herbie's footwork.

Really important game. It's very winnable, and we need to win these games that are so winnable if we're to turn a corner and be in with a shot at the 8 come the back end of the year. Niu is out, but that doesn't change the fact I'm shifting the ball on set plays to that edge. Averillo isn't a phonoemenal defender either.

We've got big, powerful centres and back rowers. We need to isolate Nikorima and Katoa up against these guys. There's plenty of success to be had there.

They've got four forwards on the bench, so make JMK make as many tackles as possible in the middle. Turn those forwards around a couple of times with 3rd or 4th tackle kicks and diminish their advantage of having 4 relatively fresh forwards.

In turn, this makes them have to work their way out of their own end which they aren't great at. Bostock is still relatively lean, Hammer doesn't do any work out of his own end either. We can really dominate field position here so long as we are disciplined.

Give Bostock a few nervous moments in the air up against Lomax. Kick to Issako's edge from regulation mid-field kicks and have a big chase, hopefully Ravalawa can get there and smash him just as he catches the ball. This means their two weakest players out of the back field have to take those first few carries of the set.

Our centres will need to be on today defensively. Suli up against Herbie and Bird up against Averillo. Our centres are big, strong, powerful. Their's are more quick and agile, so that's where they'll try and get us. Players need to work hard from the inside on the chance that Bird gets burnt for pace by Averillo or Suli gets outdone by Herbie's footwork.
I agree with this. I'd like to add that if we have our share of possesion, the Dolphins will be worn down by repeatedly having to tackle our big strong outside backs in yardage.

One concern I do have is Kerr (or other big Dolphins middles) targetting Sloan at A defender on our tryline. Kerr did this to Drinkwater to good effect last week. Let's see how much Sloan has improved his D from last year. I'm not surprised when Sloan scores three tries like last week. I know he can do that! I will be pleasantly surprised if he plays like Gutherson in defence.

Belta

Juniors

I always worry when opponents have players out and it’s mentioned we should be them. History suggests we invariably get our pants pulled down. In the past speedy backs trouble our defensive structures so we must continue to defend like we have been the last few weeks.

I do however agree with your good analysis, especially our powerful attackers targeting the Dolphins smaller players and having Lomax (hopefully putting in another big game) harassing newbie winger Bostock (who is tall and athletic himself) but maybe susceptible to pressure. Hopefully, Rav, Sua, RFM and Luc to terrorise them to set up the win

BLM01

First Grade
I agree with this. I'd like to add that if we have our share of possesion, the Dolphins will be worn down by repeatedly having to tackle our big strong outside backs in yardage.

One concern I do have is Kerr (or other big Dolphins middles) targetting Sloan at A defender on our tryline. Kerr did this to Drinkwater to good effect last week. Let's see how much Sloan has improved his D from last year. I'm not surprised when Sloan scores three tries like last week. I know he can do that! I will be pleasantly surprised if he plays like Gutherson in defence.
Yes you can and they will target Sloan.and Hunt..but on line our defense / markers need to be alert and moving up and anybody needs help on the line

BLM01

First Grade

The key to beating Dolphins is their ability to late offload and 2nd phase. That is where we can win it

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It has been raining most of the morning on top of some yesterday, but appears to be clearing now. But still some dark clouds out east, threatening to come back. Humidity levels have gone up. Might favour the home team, but that's a fitness issue and I reckon our lot are up for it.

IMO, the more it dries out, the better. Hopefully the rain stays out to sea.

SBD82

Coach
After getting our hopes up with some great football last week, I think it’s pretty cruel that the NRL has made us wait until the last game of the round to watch our team capitulate.

justadragon

Bench
I am confident with Flanno at the helm, these are just his types of games. There is no way he wont have them prepared for a fight. If they go out thinking it will all happen because of last week, it will all be on the players and not Flanno. We have the team to get this job done, so lets do it eh !!!

TruSaint

Referee
I am confident with Flanno at the helm, these are just his types of games. There is no way he wont have them prepared for a fight. If they go out thinking it will all happen because of last week, it will all be on the players and not Flanno. We have the team to get this job done, so lets do it eh !!!

Agreed.

I know that what we saw on the 2 Dragons Way episodes are selected clips but Flanno's strategy seems to be " dont beat yourselves ". Simple but true. He mentioned completing at 80% and staying in the contest.

I'm hoping for a simple game plan. Points will come when teams start to fatigue. Our mob looks fitter than previous years. Kyle to take some pressure of Hunt in the kicking duties.

KingFlanno7

Juniors
Bennett will have them up for this game thats a guarantee but we are the better team. This is our real test, 2nd away game in a row, expectations have lifted now theres no going back, this is the Dragons way and i hope we flog them and come back to sydney with another 2 points and even more belief. GO THE SAINTS!!

Lennyb

Juniors
Same here.

It's an odd feeling though. Usually, we are in the game however, at some point we are hanging in there and you know it's coming either a six again, a penalty or a mistake.
Going to take a while for us to shake that old feeling. But Im pretty sure we havnt been done with these new rules yet, which shows to me we are current and have discipline.
I touched wood before i pressed send, haha.

Dea

Juniors
Last year i would have a false hope we might get close to a win, but in honesty, it was always a long shot. This year I’m nervous because we could play well again and come home with a win, or the old Dragons could emerge and we are gone. It is such a different feel tonight, and until we show a few weeks in a row of playing to our potential, I think I’ll keep feeling these nerves. Go the New Dragons!

Latest posts