What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R5 Knights.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I haven’t read the posts from last night as I don’t want to get depressed for the rest of my Saturday
I will say this they handled the conditions way better than us with their kicks compared to our same old same old
Early we were right in it and looked likely until momentum shifted by errors and wayward penalties by our dumbo prop and some help as usual by ref. Who is she anyway?? Ffs

denis preston

First Grade
Did anyone see the KOE game? Who were the standouts? Does anyone look ready to take over from the clueless rabble in the first grade side?
If I was Flanno I would (metaphorically) take the axe to the "top" side.
Alex for Lawrie for a start. Swap out 6 with 14 . If Bird out Finau or Tamale on wing Lomax to centre. Couchman for whoever else in the pack

Crush

Coach
Just watching the second half now, Lomax and Sloan switching between fullback and wing? Interesting, wonder if Sloans defensive errors are wearing on Flannos patience.
TBH, the second half wasn’t bad other than Hunts kicking game and poor passing game. He had a shocker.
Leilua and Su’a on the edges are our strength but we need more strings to our attacking bow, it’s all very predictable.

Crush

Coach
Loved the press conference.
Hunt put his hand up “my kicking game let us down”
Flanno admitted Sloan had to be better and put his body on the line.
Journalist asked why the change of heart to Hunt for wanting to stay, Hunt says lots of things have changed at dragons, Flanno winds up the presser with there are plenty more changes to come too.

Flanno pre game when asked about preparing for the conditions said they just talked about it.

They didn't prepare, even though they knew that it was going to be horrible conditions. No basic preparation of playing with a wet/slippery ball, kicking in a muddy field, practicing their tactics in wet conditions.

We took a dry weather game plan into a wet weather game. Stupid from the coaches & key play makers in the side.
Sloan's attacking brilliance is obvious and we all know his defensive deficiencies. He is never going to be able to attack in conditions like last night and the weather only exacerbates his defensive issues (pretty much making him ineffective). With the weather forecast, perhaps Tuipulotu should have been in the squad and brought into the team at the last minute, resting Sloan for the night. We have to field our best team each week and perhaps the weather factors into that.
Flanno pre game when asked about preparing for the conditions said they just talked about it.

They didn't prepare, even though they knew that it was going to be horrible conditions. No basic preparation of playing with a wet/slippery ball, kicking in a muddy field, practicing their tactics in wet conditions.

We took a dry weather game plan into a wet weather game. Stupid from the coaches & key play makers in the side.

Thanks.... yes it was a tad disappointing especially as we endured nightmare conditions driving down from the Gold Coast the same day....won't happen again trust me
Good form making the effort in those conditions especially, I’m nodding my head in admiration.

It’s a bit harder to suss the ref out on the TV, but your offside observation really doesn’t surprise me. She didn’t give you much at all I thought.

It’s not an excuse for the general disintegration of the game during the last quarter, but it doesn’t help.

Lucy was looking pretty good for a spell there, and I was hoping this effort was going to be sustained and adopted by all.

Ben Hunt is the problem and has been for a long time now. He has really only had one season 2015 where he has demonstrated that he is a quality, week in, week out half. Otherwise, he is more of a number 9 than a number 7 as he lacks the kicking and passing game of a good 7. He only really has one attacking kick - the bomb which is usually too deep and end over end, thus easy to catch. When passing, he crabs slowly across field such that by the time he throws the pass, the defensive line is on top if our outside runners. His one point of difference is his show and go but very rarely uses it now. He's just so predictable. While Hunt is pulling the strings, we're going no where.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well done on attending, you didn't deserve to sit through that type of performance.

Just got home from the game (soaking wet I might add)...was sitting near the goal post ends that we defended in the first half and the Knights continuesly grubbered into the very wet area under the posts....said to my wife thats exactly what we should do in the second half....but did we no no no....and as for Hunt his kicks were most of the time rubbish right down Pongas throat...he did the same in the Dolphins game when he kicked to The Hammer...and I might add in finishing dear Belinda the ref once again allowed the Knights to stand within the 10 and lay all over our blokes just like the Cowgirls
Yes well done to you and your wife driving down through horrendous conditions to watch what turned out to be one way traffic Newcastle's way last night BSE.

Why do we have coaches when they don't have any clue to get our guys to do in the second half what the Knights did in the first half? It was the obvious thing to do and I said that to my mate before the half time break that Flanno would do it but alas NO. What else can we say.

Overall so disappointing but given that it is only 5 games with Flanno as the main coach (I have serious doubts about Dean Young's credibility and ability as defence coach) my conclusion is that we still have a long way to go in this comp so I am hoping that we eventually can win several games in a row at least.

Yes well done to you and your wife driving down through horrendous conditions to watch what turned out to be one way traffic Newcastle's way last night BSE.

Why do we have coaches when they don't have any clue to get our guys to do in the second half what the Knights did in the first half? It was the obvious thing to do and I said that to my mate before the half time break that Flanno would do it but alas NO. What else can we say.

Overall so disappointing but given that it is only 5 games with Flanno as the main coach (I have serious doubts about Dean Young's credibility and ability as defence coach) my conclusion is that we still have a long way to go in this comp so I am hoping that we eventually can win several games in a row at least.
I thought that all we'd see from Hunt and Kyle after half time was grubbers into the swampy parch in front of the sticks - it was so obvious. Surely Flanno snr would've demanded such at half time. But I reckon there was not a single attacking grubber in the second half 🤦

I thought our starting middles completely bashed Newcastle out of the game. We finished with an average of 44 meters per set compared to 38.

The main reason we lost was that Newcastle's kicking game was excellent and our kicking game was poor. Our poor defence on the tries we conceded didn't help.
In fact, the game reminded me of quite a few games last year where we dominated other teams in the middle, but we didn't take advantage and allowed the other team to score points through poor defensive moments. Frank Molo was outstanding last night, but it was all for nothing. Our halves and Sloan let him down. Our halves didn't end our sets well and Sloan had to be more committed in a defence a few times.

In fact, the game reminded me of quite a few games last year where we dominated other teams in the middle, but we didn't take advantage and allowed the other team to score points through poor defensive moments. Frank Molo was outstanding last night, but it was all for nothing. Our halves and Sloan let him down. Our halves didn't end our sets well and Sloan had to be more committed in a defence a few times.
I cam forgive Sloan for his handling of the grubbers. The conditions were diabolical. What I find baffling though are the tries scored where he was literally not even in the frame. His positional play is terrible at times.

Alex for Lawrie for a start. Swap out 6 with 14 . If Bird out Finau or Tamale on wing Lomax to centre. Couchman for whoever else in the pack

..and our 7 with anyone. Give one of our juniors a crack. Other clubs do. Lawrie is a bit down on form, aint our only one in the engine room, with Eisenhuth and Mariner lacking heart and intent with ball in hand. Their metres run are pathetic. One good game in five. I'd have Vili Fifita before Alec Tuitavake, or both and forget the Couchman boys as our coach says ''they played too much last year''.

Last edited:

Yep, there were no complaints last week.

I think you have a more complex side to coach than other teams because of the spread of talent.

I think if everyone is doing their job, at their best, you have a formidable side. Just getting there is the trouble.

Molo was destroying them last night!

Latest posts