What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R7 // Knights 6-32 Broncos @ Hunter // Good Fri 7.40pm

Round 7 result :: Knights vs Broncos

• Them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after golden point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
Still really annoyed about the game last night.

The Broncos defense was phenomenal but I know we're a much better team than what we displayed last night. Especially in defense.

We're lacking that little extra edge, desire, spark or whatever you want to call it, to win.

Noname36

First Grade
I cant blame the guys who got held up, Brisbane swarmed them with numbers and strength. Even Sims was close to being held up when he scored

In our wins from last year we were praising our pack, especially Scott and Smith, for their grit and domination. Against the dogs and Storm our pack was our key to winning. They have the skills just not the attitude in 2014 for mine

It wasn't just getting held up in goal though. Apart from Sims and Mason, how many times did you see any of the forwards bend the line let alone break a tackle last night? We were lucky we got a few piggyback penalties out of our own end because we were going nowhere a lot of the time. They were running hard too but just not making any impact. Now obviously full credit goes to the Bronco's defence and how they got off the line and controlled the ruck, but I found our general lack of impact in our runs quite worrying. It really just goes to show how valuable Snowy is for us.

I guess I've just never seen much much if any effectiveness from Houston, Tets, or even Rochow. For their size Houston and Tets should be making impact but they never seem to. I think both of them have been around the club long enough for us to have given them the benefit of the doubt by now.

I don't know if we can say the only difference between last year and now is attitude either (especially when you refer to Smith and Scott). Scott is playing just as well if not better this year for the most part but Smith has been a shadow of his former self these past few rounds. I'm sure some of that could be attitude but I think he's also carrying an injury. Another big factor we've lost from last year is Bedsy. I don't think he got nearly enough credit for how he got our pack rolling forward last year and helping to make their runs more effective.

I do think a negative change in attitude has made a difference in our pack from last year to this...but I think a lack of ability plays into that too.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Bedsy is a loss for sure, agree there

Our pack is largely unchanged from the one who went deep into the finals last year, we know what they are capable of. I just can't help but feel that attitude and application is the missing factor

knightsarmy

Juniors
we had no idea!!Their defence made us do so stupid decisions when we finally did something on the last tackle

K-Man

Bench
I can see where you're coming from but I just see it differently to you. I can throw my hands up and cop a loss when we were comprehensively outplayed (particularly in defence) by a very good opposition on the night. It's the games where the opposition are there for the taking (like NQ) but we show up and have no respect for the football that really grinds my gears. I'd take us having a go and going down to a good side over not having a go and getting done by a poor side any day of the week.

I get that a loss where we were just outplayed and couldn't blame it on lack of footy or poor ref decisions would depress you (I think it does all of us) but those glaring weaknesses we have (particularly in the forwards) that usually get skipped over due to something more obvious (I.e. Dropped balls, penalties, etc) are still there no matter how many times we stick our heads in the sand and think possession is our only problem. It certainly isn't and I think last night proved to us again that it doesn't matter how much chance we give ourselves through controlling the footy and not giving away penalties if we don't have a pack of forwards that are capable of doing damage we're never to trouble the good sides that can defend. The same point was hammered home last night as it was during the Roosters semi last year. Is knowing that depressing? Oh shit yeah! but we're not in a better place by sticking our heads in the sand and thinking we'll be okay against the good sides if we control possession.

I can guarantee that we'll win more games playing like we did last night than we will playing like we did against NQ.

Well for two people who started off disagreeing, I agree with everything you've just said.

I suppose it's how we interpret the same situation. Personally last night, not that I needed it because I've been saying the same thing for two years, proved to me once and for all that anyone who thinks we are a genuine top 4 or 6 side that needs to get our sh*t together is kidding themselves.

Us at our best smashes poor teams at their worst. That's about it.

I also said earlier this season that when we win, we'll win easily. It's the way the game goes because we're only good when we dominate early and skip out to a lead, then grind our poor opponent playing catch-up footy.

But in real football games against real opposition with both skill and determination, we're a bit of a joke. I mean look at our losses - basically 5 drubbings with various contributing factors.

It's something I felt I had to constantly drum home to a friend of mine who supports the Eels. It's not the refs, it's not lack of heart, it's not tactics, it's not silly errors, it's not Ricky Stuart (well, it kinda was), it's not a million things he would name... it's the fact the roster was garbage and they couldn't compete with better teams.

In the end that lack of overall quality manifests itself in visible 'errors', missed tackles and big scorelines. Fans want to put it down to smaller issues like attention to detail, when the reality is that they are supporting a team that on balance is a poor one.

The Broncos defence was good, but in my opinion our attacking structure under Bennett has always been one-dimensional and useless against organised defences. The Broncos turned up and picked Bennett's game plan about 3 months in advance.

K-Man

Bench
I cant blame the guys who got held up, Brisbane swarmed them with numbers and strength. Even Sims was close to being held up when he scored

In our wins from last year we were praising our pack, especially Scott and Smith, for their grit and domination. Against the dogs and Storm our pack was our key to winning. They have the skills just not the attitude in 2014 for mine

I think you can add consistency to that. So our forwards lifted last year against two decent sides (mind you not the best 3 sides in the comp), and that proves they have the skills?

I'll judge us on our record and performances over two seasons, not two games. Our forwards are outgunned in this competition, I guarantee you that and I said the same thing before a ball was kicked in 2013.

Watch any other NRL game and it's startling how many forwards beat tackles, attract extra defenders, slip a neat offload, show some ball-playing ability, crash over the line against a few defenders, and the list goes on.

It's quite obvious what Wayne's grand plan is by now: it's to always finish the 80 minutes with the higher completion rate, because in his mind it's the key to football. Well he's wrong and times have changed. If you don't actually throw some quality attack at your opponent, they will simply absorb your "pressure" and bide their time.

Knight Vision

First Grade

They have the skills to do better than they have been. Your spot on about the attitude . The Broncos made us look like we just werent interested.

Knight Vision

First Grade
we had no idea!!Their defence made us do so stupid decisions when we finally did something on the last tackle

I am thinking it may have been a record for hand overs . Very very poor last tackle options last night. Not quite sure who is calling those shots but they need to have a long hard look in the mirror today and give themselves an uppercut:eek:

1qaz

Juniors
Watching the replay, Boyd was playing frustrated out there. He threw his hands up a few times when the ball hit the front runner instead of going out the back

Joker's Wild

Coach
Kman, I clearly referenced all our wins from last year not just the 2 semis. Our pack featured heavily in the praise in here and it was justified. They clearly have the skill and mindset when the attitude is on song

keeney

First Grade
Bedsy is a loss for sure, agree there

Our pack is largely unchanged from the one who went deep into the finals last year, we know what they are capable of. I just can't help but feel that attitude and application is the missing factor

Difference is they are a year older, and the faster speed of the game has blunted them somewhat. They're not athletic enough as a whole to find the speed necessary for what the NRL has been early this year. Similarly, they're not fit enough to be able to hold on after going at that uncomfortable speed all game.

Bennett needs to accept his recruitment has been good but nowhere near what it should be. Pato leaving was an error. He could have been a sensation under Bennett. He ran hard Pato. His mobility we miss terribly. Smith is too slow. Beau is playing brilliantly but has no help. Houston and Rochow are crap. No more hiding that. Mamo is a sensation. Give him whatever he asks for. We need a more mobile side. We are just bad when we get our ruck and line speed wrong. Not enough pace to shutdown the half breaks.

Yosh

Coach
Move Uate into the backrow? Lol...

Haven't watched the game but after reading the thread, I can put together pieces of footage from the games we've played this year and it'll just be the same, so no point watching.

Ship off Gidley and pay the 800,000k or whatever Fifta is asking for. I'd do it. Hell, ship off Boyd as well. Mamo can just play there for a meat pie a game and will still put more heart into it.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The thing that really frustrates me with our game plan at the moment is that we currently have arguably our best backline since the early 2000's but we're just not taking advantage of it!

It feels like until we get into the 20 metre attacking zone our centres & wingers do nothing but run from dummy half, we just have no interest in shifting the ball early to give them any space or freedom to create something. Leilua just steamrolls defenders out on the left and Gagai out on the right has got to have some of the best footwork for a centre in the comp and a great knack of setting up opportunities for his winger but neither of them see the ball until we get close to the line and everyone knows exactly what play we're going to do anyway so they get stopped by the defence early.

It's all well and good to complete sets and get into the grind but when you've got some of the best strike weapons in the comp out wide and a couple of very good halves to create chances for them I think we should really be doing more with it between our 30 metre and the opposition's 20 meter zone.

I was at the game last night and I just got this feeling that the Broncos were going to score with ease after holding us out for about 20 minutes when we dominated the game, and that's exactly what happened because our grand plan of completing all our sets and never passing the ball more than once from the ruck really doesn't stack up well against a competent defensive line.

On the topic of Housten, I actually think he is a solid player but is being used totally in the wrong way. The problem is that Wayne insists on using him as an edge-running back rower which he is not suited to. He's a lock forward or a fill-in front rower, having him out on an edge not only nullifies the good things he can do for the team but ruins our attack which was on show for all to see last night. I lost count of how many times Tyrone threw that short ball to House right on their line and he was just crunched by 3 tacklers. IMO if we're going to do that play then we should be doing it on the right side using Scott who is a far better edge running back-rower.

I thought Mamo had a really good debut and probably deserved to score a meat pie, he was close a couple of times and I would argue that maybe a couple of inexperienced decisions prevented him from getting one. But I'll be very happy for him to hold his spot for the next few weeks at least while Aku is out, and if he plays well enough I wouldn't mind Wayne keeping Aku in NSW cup for a while and forcing him to produce some good form before he gets another crack in 1st Grade.

Unless we fix things very quickly this season will become another write-off and then we're back to square one and everything we did last year means nothing, if we fail to make the 8 this year I think the club needs to sit Wayne down for a review of the teams results since he started here, as far as I'm concerned making the finals 1 out of 3 is unacceptable given the money that we are paying him.

Apey

Staff member
Besides BJ our backline seem to often get the ball at the worst time. Either they'll get it when there's absolutely no room out there or my personal favourite, when they're about to get hammered. The latter probably applies to our backrowers too. Dat faceball right in front of the defence.

Swarzey

Bench
Our backline movement looked crisp in the latter part of last season, excluding the finals.

Think flustered is the best word to describe the team overall.

aqua_duck

Coach
Besides BJ our backline seem to often get the ball at the worst time. Either they'll get it when there's absolutely no room out there or my personal favourite, when they're about to get hammered. The latter probably applies to our backrowers too. Dat faceball right in front of the defence.

The face ball to blokes to blokes with absolutely no line breaking ability is pointless

Zoidberg

First Grade
Move Uate into the backrow? Lol....

Was actually thinking the same thing. Put him in House's roll and leave Mamo on the wing. He can bust tackles better than a lot of 2nd rowers and has speed to possibly set up his outside men. We lose his kick returns and he's good at getting onto Mullo's wide kicks but I'm sure Mamo can learn to read Mullo and his kick returns could be just as good (in a scything way opposed to a running over the top way).

Only thing I can see a problem with is his defence. How is his 1 on 1 defence though? We know he makes some poor reads but if he has players inside and outside him telling him where to go he might do better.

I'm sure it won't happen though. But if I were Wayne I'd seriously think about it.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Starting to think Gagai doesn't offer much with ball in-hand. I like that he puts his hand up for plenty of hituts, but he very rarely breaks a tackle or gets any momentum off them. Even when given decent early ball out wide, he hardly ever gets past his opposing centre, or looks to get his winger in open space.

I can see Sione overtaking him next year.

Last edited: