What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

callmack1

Staff member
Two absolutely awesome bits of news today oh my God!!!

Sutton inks new deal to play 16th season with Souths: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/su...-16th-season-with-souths-20181120-p50h5k.html

I can't describe how happy this makes me!! To see that our favourite son is going to get one last season in our mighty colours is just fantastic! Barring injury, he will finish his career in the Red and Green on his terms which he deserves. Now we also know it is his last season so we can all prepare for a big farewell.

Also great news that it seems the coaching swap is set to be confirmed!! That gets me super excited.

In regards to Jennings, I'll be a little disappointed if he goes but if he's asking for too much then we have to cut him loose. I like the 'take it or leave it' mentality we have in this regard as the club is not at the mercy of the player. Hopefully a young gun like Burns or Hiroti will step up and take his place. I wouldn't even be suprised to see AJ back there as Allan may just be wearing the number 1.

callmack1

Staff member
You’re taking the piss right. Cook held this club to ransom. The club caved totally at the mercy of the player.
Well we don't know that yet as it's not confirmed, he may have had to take a smaller pay amount then what he wanted, we don't know.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear but I meant for the lesser players (not saying Jennings is average but he's not on Cook's level), Cook is the type of player that is worth doing anything to keep at your club I think.

callmack1

Staff member

handyman2190

Bench
Loyalty Personified: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/11/22/loyalty-personified/

Rabbitohs release Zane Musgrove from remainder of NRL contract: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...zane-musgrove-from-remainder-of-nrl-contract/

Releasing Musgrove is a bit of a hit to our depth but I'm happy to free up some slary cap space.
The press make it sound as if we moved musgrove on to sign sutto, thats not the case actually, what happened is , musgrove was not performing, then he was injured for quite a while, then he had his court case, we were praying someone would take him , Richo in UK actually tried to find him a club, so we got lucky the tigers taking him,had nothing to do with signing sutto.
I actually got a whisper that while pengai jun may not come this year, Lodge wants nothing to do with seibold and if and when the swop happens, he will jump ship to us

DynamicRabbit1

Juniors
The press make it sound as if we moved musgrove on to sign sutto, thats not the case actually, what happened is , musgrove was not performing, then he was injured for quite a while, then he had his court case, we were praying someone would take him , Richo in UK actually tried to find him a club, so we got lucky the tigers taking him,had nothing to do with signing sutto.
I actually got a whisper that while pengai jun may not come this year, Lodge wants nothing to do with seibold and if and when the swop happens, he will jump ship to us
So no Pangai Jr?

handyman2190

Bench
So no Pangai Jr?
I believe pengai will give the broncos another year, which is why they moved grub maguire and are contemplating moving glen and that winger on so they can top up uncle tobys and pengai and lodge forceing them to sign. But as i said i dont think after knocking traitor seibold out at the storm,lodge will stay.
He might go to newcastle esp if napa decides not to go to the dogs and they dont release klemmer, newcastle already courted lodge but he decided against going, that was before the coaching saga. I think he will follow bennet, i would find it extremely unusual if bennet came next week and didnt bring 1 player with him, we have some cap left, we have moved on a few players,and dont forget farrah was on a reported 600k before he left,so cookie was on 300k plus maybe most of the 600k,which leaves id say 800 spare,by my calculations

ThingFish

Juniors
I believe pengai will give the broncos another year, which is why they moved grub maguire and are contemplating moving glen and that winger on so they can top up uncle tobys and pengai and lodge forceing them to sign. But as i said i dont think after knocking traitor seibold out at the storm,lodge will stay.
He might go to newcastle esp if napa decides not to go to the dogs and they dont release klemmer, newcastle already courted lodge but he decided against going, that was before the coaching saga. I think he will follow bennet, i would find it extremely unusual if bennet came next week and didnt bring 1 player with him, we have some cap left, we have moved on a few players,and dont forget farrah was on a reported 600k before he left,so cookie was on 300k plus maybe most of the 600k,which leaves id say 800 spare,by my calculations

According to today’s Telecrap we might be one of 6 six teams possibly over the cap once the NRL audits are done. Might need to shed a player. So I can’t see us getting any “names” for 2019.

NRL clubs ready to swoop on unwanted stars after salary cap audit
November 21, 2018 7:05am
Dean RitchieThe Daily Telegraph
COACHES are sitting back and waiting for the NRL to deliver their annual Christmas bonus — players unable to fit under their clubs’ salary caps.

With the NRL due to issue their annual salary cap audits between now and Christmas, The Daily Telegraph understands a number of clubs are scrambling to remain under the cap.

Those clubs with money left in their salary cap have been waiting patiently for the audits to arrive — and are ready to pounce.

Some clubs face sanctions, with players almost certain to be forced out. Club chief executives are convinced they will be released and thrown directly on to the open market.

“We are hearing there are a few clubs that are going to be over,” one prominent CEO said. “The squeeze could be on.

“We have all been in that position. You think you’re okay and then the salary cap audit comes down and it all changes. Then you have to shed a few.

“We’ll be waiting and seeing what unfolds. A few clubs are similar — they are waiting.”

The Daily Telegraph will not speculate on which clubs could be over the salary cap.

It is known, however, that a number of clubs — including Brisbane, Penrith, Parramatta, Souths, Cronulla and Melbourne — are fighting hard to remain under it.

Manly is also confronting its own salary-cap challenges.

The Panthers’ cap will no doubt have eased with Trent Merrin’s departure last week to Leeds in the English Super League.

Souths is yet to have a new contract for winger Robert Jennings registered by the NRL. That has led to speculation about Alex Johnston’s future.

Cronulla may well be OK now that Valentine Holmes has been released to trial for an NFL contract.

Brisbane has moved Test and Queensland forward Josh McGuire to North Queensland and Gold Coast Titans are circling Broncos forward Alex Glenn. Jordan Kahu could also be moved along.

“We get calls about players who might be moved,” the CEO said. “There is no set time, but all the audits happen about now.

“The NRL can assess things differently to what the club thinks — different interpretations. It can happen.

“There is then a mad scramble to move players.”

The Sharks are also awaiting possible punishment over the club’s recent salary-cap drama. Some suggest the NRL fine will be significant. One theory suggests the departure of Holmes may free up some money for the expected fine.

Some clubs may not receive their NRL audits until January or even early February.

handyman2190

Bench

According to today’s Telecrap we might be one of 6 six teams possibly over the cap once the NRL audits are done. Might need to shed a player. So I can’t see us getting any “names” for 2019.

NRL clubs ready to swoop on unwanted stars after salary cap audit
November 21, 2018 7:05am
Dean RitchieThe Daily Telegraph
COACHES are sitting back and waiting for the NRL to deliver their annual Christmas bonus — players unable to fit under their clubs’ salary caps.

With the NRL due to issue their annual salary cap audits between now and Christmas, The Daily Telegraph understands a number of clubs are scrambling to remain under the cap.

Those clubs with money left in their salary cap have been waiting patiently for the audits to arrive — and are ready to pounce.

Some clubs face sanctions, with players almost certain to be forced out. Club chief executives are convinced they will be released and thrown directly on to the open market.

“We are hearing there are a few clubs that are going to be over,” one prominent CEO said. “The squeeze could be on.

“We have all been in that position. You think you’re okay and then the salary cap audit comes down and it all changes. Then you have to shed a few.

“We’ll be waiting and seeing what unfolds. A few clubs are similar — they are waiting.”

The Daily Telegraph will not speculate on which clubs could be over the salary cap.

It is known, however, that a number of clubs — including Brisbane, Penrith, Parramatta, Souths, Cronulla and Melbourne — are fighting hard to remain under it.

Manly is also confronting its own salary-cap challenges.

The Panthers’ cap will no doubt have eased with Trent Merrin’s departure last week to Leeds in the English Super League.

Souths is yet to have a new contract for winger Robert Jennings registered by the NRL. That has led to speculation about Alex Johnston’s future.

Cronulla may well be OK now that Valentine Holmes has been released to trial for an NFL contract.

Brisbane has moved Test and Queensland forward Josh McGuire to North Queensland and Gold Coast Titans are circling Broncos forward Alex Glenn. Jordan Kahu could also be moved along.

“We get calls about players who might be moved,” the CEO said. “There is no set time, but all the audits happen about now.

“The NRL can assess things differently to what the club thinks — different interpretations. It can happen.

“There is then a mad scramble to move players.”

The Sharks are also awaiting possible punishment over the club’s recent salary-cap drama. Some suggest the NRL fine will be significant. One theory suggests the departure of Holmes may free up some money for the expected fine.

Some clubs may not receive their NRL audits until January or even early February.
As far as i can see this is all BS speculation its reported parra only have 200k spare.
The roosters havent been mentioned.
Why mention cronulla when holmes is gone and lewis ,lee,and ramien are gone.
Brisbane i agree could be over but are taking steps.
Weve lost many players and signed no expensive names but have had to upgrade a few,i still think we have money,why make an offer for pengai if there is no money,jennings isnt signed because he wants too much

ThingFish

Juniors
As far as i can see this is all BS speculation its reported parra only have 200k spare.
The roosters havent been mentioned.
Why mention cronulla when holmes is gone and lewis ,lee,and ramien are gone.
Brisbane i agree could be over but are taking steps.
Weve lost many players and signed no expensive names but have had to upgrade a few,i still think we have money,why make an offer for pengai if there is no money,jennings isnt signed because he wants too much
Well if rumours are true we’ve just given Cookie and EXTRA $3or400k for 2019, [bye, bye Jennings]. Then you’ve got Sammy’s new deal, which was huge. Cody’s 2018 upgraded contract $$ start 2019, the other top ups, and GI’s contract is hitting the backended big dollars. It’s not that Jennings is asking too much, its he’s asking more than we can afford to offer. Why do you think Richo was shopping players to super league? If the TPJ rumour is true, it won’t happen until 2020 and will cost us at least one of the twins to happen. We’ve never been great cap managers, and Cookies massive overs contract will guarantee us 4 more years of cap pressure.

themacemaceman

Juniors
You would think Lodge would be fairly cheap considering his past , him not wanting to play under Seibs and wanting to follow Bennett.
Basically we would have him over a barrel.
Now if we were to let a twin go to the dogs, and replace with Lodge we would get a player that’s going to do a similar job, a hell of a lot cheaper (as opposed to being a test player).
Whether you like Lodge or not it Makes a lot of sense cap wise. ( maybe not so much team moral etc)

R20 maybe you could crunch the stats Lodge v the twins for 2018?

Travitoh

First Grade
Lodge's past is very questionable but there is no denying that in 2018 he played some good footy and did it without causing issues.
If he has turned a corner in life after some poor decisions/acts, not only do i believe he'd be a good addition but a possible future leader in the squad.

Last edited: