What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

southsport

First Grade
Jason Demetriou dusted: Broncos assistant sacked in ruthless Red Hill axing
BRONCOS
Joe McDonough
December 6, 2018 4:04pm
JOE MCDONOUGH
Source: FOX SPORTS

Source: AAP
Wayne Bennett’s assistant coach at the Broncos Jason Demetriou has been sacked.
The Courier Mail revealed on Thursday that the super-coach’s right-hand man had his contract torn up.

Broncos CEO Paul White reportedly met with Demetriou to end his tenure at Brisbane effective immediately, as the highly-rated mentor was not part of new head coach Anthony Seibold’s plans.

Seibold brought three Rabbitohs staff members with him to Red Hill — assistant coaches Peter Gentle and Ben Cross, and high-performance manager Paul Devlin.

The big question now, is whether Demetriou immediately links up with Bennett at South Sydney.

Rumblings of the move began as soon as it became clear that Seibold was a certainty for the Broncos post, as Demetriou had also put his name forward.

And while Bennett on Tuesday maintained the Rabbitohs were not interested in bringing Broncos staff to Redfern, there are clearly holes to fill and who better than the man he has been grooming to one day be an NRL head coach himself.

The Courier Mail is also reporting that high-performance guru Jeremy Hickmans and chief analyst Scott Barker are also expected to be punted imminently.

All three men, as well as trainer Tannath Scott, had been told to stay away from Broncos HQ for a week, and have had their emails shut down and belongings packed ready for collection.

Bennett was clearly disappointed with the way his former team had been treated.

“There are guys up there that have been told to go gardening for a week. There is four of them that have been sidelined for a week and have been told to go away and their futures will be decided next week,” he said on Tuesday.

“I have great empathy for those people and that hasn’t happened here.

“There is not one person that has been told to go gardening and not one guy has lost his job.

“When I was interviewed for the job for 2020, Shane Richardson told me that I couldn’t bring staff with me. He said they have a wonderful staff here and they are all contracted and I said that is fine, I don’t want someone losing their job because I am turning up.

“That’s how it has turned out and it was a pleasure to work with them this morning.”

Well, it looks like Bennett may have the green-light to offer them contracts now.

handyman2190

Bench
I don’t think we’ll see players until 2020. We don’t even have enough money to keep Jennings so I can’t see any names being signed.
I wouldnt believe what the press write, we offered 800k to pengai so where has that gone,i think its more a matter of keeping space when its, the movement of players, is finished, jennings may then be signed, we do have campbell graham and AJ for the wing spots so spending big on him may not suit bennet

ThingFish

Juniors
I wouldnt believe what the press write, we offered 800k to pengai so where has that gone,i think its more a matter of keeping space when its, the movement of players, is finished, jennings may then be signed, we do have campbell graham and AJ for the wing spots so spending big on him may not suit bennet
Well 600k of that went to Cook’s top up. Murray and Graham have also been topped up since. Plus if TPJ was really offered $800k I don’t think Sutto would be having his swan song next year. If TPJ takes $800k for 2020 it will be through loosing Sutts, Turner and one of the twins.

themacemaceman

Juniors
IM confused, if were not believing what the press write, where did the 800k offer for Pengai come from?

DynamicRabbit1

Juniors
When did we make Pangai an offer?

callmack1

Staff member
Jason Demetriou dusted: Broncos assistant sacked in ruthless Red Hill axing
BRONCOS
Joe McDonough
December 6, 2018 4:04pm
JOE MCDONOUGH
Source: FOX SPORTS

Source: AAP
Wayne Bennett’s assistant coach at the Broncos Jason Demetriou has been sacked.
The Courier Mail revealed on Thursday that the super-coach’s right-hand man had his contract torn up.

Broncos CEO Paul White reportedly met with Demetriou to end his tenure at Brisbane effective immediately, as the highly-rated mentor was not part of new head coach Anthony Seibold’s plans.

Seibold brought three Rabbitohs staff members with him to Red Hill — assistant coaches Peter Gentle and Ben Cross, and high-performance manager Paul Devlin.

The big question now, is whether Demetriou immediately links up with Bennett at South Sydney.

Rumblings of the move began as soon as it became clear that Seibold was a certainty for the Broncos post, as Demetriou had also put his name forward.

And while Bennett on Tuesday maintained the Rabbitohs were not interested in bringing Broncos staff to Redfern, there are clearly holes to fill and who better than the man he has been grooming to one day be an NRL head coach himself.

The Courier Mail is also reporting that high-performance guru Jeremy Hickmans and chief analyst Scott Barker are also expected to be punted imminently.

All three men, as well as trainer Tannath Scott, had been told to stay away from Broncos HQ for a week, and have had their emails shut down and belongings packed ready for collection.

Bennett was clearly disappointed with the way his former team had been treated.

“There are guys up there that have been told to go gardening for a week. There is four of them that have been sidelined for a week and have been told to go away and their futures will be decided next week,” he said on Tuesday.

“I have great empathy for those people and that hasn’t happened here.

“There is not one person that has been told to go gardening and not one guy has lost his job.

“When I was interviewed for the job for 2020, Shane Richardson told me that I couldn’t bring staff with me. He said they have a wonderful staff here and they are all contracted and I said that is fine, I don’t want someone losing their job because I am turning up.

“That’s how it has turned out and it was a pleasure to work with them this morning.”

Well, it looks like Bennett may have the green-light to offer them contracts now.
The club maintains that we have our assistant coaching roles filled but there has been no official announcement. Anyone know who they are?

I hope Demetriou comes as from what I've heard, there are big wraps on him and his ability. Many see him as an up and coming head coach. Personally, I can certainly see him as our head coach in 2022 once Bennett retires, he can come now and finish his apprenticeship under Wayne. Get it done Souths!

On another note, is this one of the sponsors that was mentioned the other day?

Zoom Video Communications to feature on Rabbitohs jerseys for the next two seasons: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...n-rabbitohs-jerseys-for-the-next-two-seasons/

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The club maintains that we have our assistant coaching roles filled but there has been no official announcement. Anyone know who they are?

I hope Demetriou comes as from what I've heard, there are big wraps on him and his ability. Many see him as an up and coming head coach. Personally, I can certainly see him as our head coach in 2022 once Bennett retires, he can come now and finish his apprenticeship under Wayne. Get it done Souths!

On another note, is this one of the sponsors that was mentioned the other day?

Zoom Video Communications to feature on Rabbitohs jerseys for the next two seasons: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...n-rabbitohs-jerseys-for-the-next-two-seasons/

I think the whole way this has been orchestrated is genius by Wayne. He knew the Broncos would have to sack him and his support staff, making him look like the victim. Seibold was the one that asked for the release and took the assistant coaches Gentle, Cross and HP manager Devlin. We will probably end up signing Demetriou with the view he will take over Wayne. Even if Wayne doesn’t work out we have an up and coming coach in Demetriou. The Broncos have placed so much faith in Seibold it’ll be interesting to see who comes out on top out of the two clubs.

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
I think the whole way this has been orchestrated is genius by Wayne. He knew the Broncos would have to sack him and his support staff, making him look like the victim. Seibold was the one that asked for the release and took the assistant coaches Gentle, Cross and HP manager Devlin. We will probably end up signing Demetriou with the view he will take over Wayne. Even if Wayne doesn’t out we have an up and coming coach in Demetriou. The Broncos have placed so much faith in Seibold it’ll be interesting to see who comes out on top out of the two clubs.
There has been alot reported about seibolds coaching methods at his new home ,music early ball control etc,seems he has been planning and had alot organized before he left, he didnt need to make phone calls he had all his support staff at souths ,pinched and organized well before he left us, he winged and bitched accusing bennet and souths of many things but he was just as bad if not worse, we dont have support staff set up and ready ,our preseason is disrupted and will be for at least the next 2 weeks. So i think seibold who knew by at least three quarters of this season what was going to eventuate is a caniving low down betraying peice of excrement.

callmack1

Staff member
There has been alot reported about seibolds coaching methods at his new home ,music early ball control etc,seems he has been planning and had alot organized before he left, he didnt need to make phone calls he had all his support staff at souths ,pinched and organized well before he left us, he winged and bitched accusing bennet and souths of many things but he was just as bad if not worse, we dont have support staff set up and ready ,our preseason is disrupted and will be for at least the next 2 weeks. So i think seibold who knew by at least three quarters of this season what was going to eventuate is a caniving low down betraying peice of excrement.
Agreed, what also really sh*ts me is how he went on about the toll it was taking on his family, he winged and played the victim. But now, he's torn up the contracts of four of the Broncos coaching staff! What about their families who may potentially have one of their main sources of income cut off, just like that? Not to mention the fact it's just before Christmas!!

Very hypocritical from Seibold if you ask me. It's all, "wa, wa, wa, poor me" when it's happening to him but he has no problem doing it to someone else's family.

handyman2190

Bench
Agreed, what also really sh*ts me is how he went on about the toll it was taking on his family, he winged and played the victim. But now, he's torn up the contracts of four of the Broncos coaching staff! What about their families who may potentially have one of their main sources of income cut off, just like that? Not to mention the fact it's just before Christmas!!

Very hypocritical from Seibold if you ask me. It's all, "wa, wa, wa, poor me" when it's happening to him but he has no problem doing it to someone else's family.
Couldnt have said it better, i just hope that this BS about bennet not bringing any staff is press bull, and we do get at least Demitriou

Pauly1

Juniors

Hope that the old faithful "Karma "comes a knocking on his door.

250excf

Juniors
Rumour that there is some unrest between broncos players and management.
Where did you hear that Southy I wouldn’t be surprised they have just sacked 4 staff they were close to who have families to feed 3 weeks from Christmas bunch of assholes those high paid CEO wankers are

southsport

First Grade
Where did you hear that Southy I wouldn’t be surprised they have just sacked 4 staff they were close to who have families to feed 3 weeks from Christmas bunch of assholes those high paid CEO wankers are
Just heard it on the grapevine from someone that lives in Brissy.

handyman2190

Bench
Just heard it on the grapevine from someone that lives in Brissy.
Look even if they have sacked those staff they would need to pay out their contracts so they will be ok over xmas, but the way seibold stole our staff stinks to high heaven.
I dont believe for a second bennet wont bring his own staff ,im sure they will be employed by souths,we need to replace those that left, this bennet thing were he says richo said he cant bring his own staff reeks of get square,what coach dosent bring in his own people, there was even a article how demitriou told his kids they were moving to sydney, bennet wanted sacking the staff is now sacked bad bad donkeys,exactly what bennet wants to portray them as the guilty,and he has won

southsport

First Grade
Look even if they have sacked those staff they would need to pay out their contracts so they will be ok over xmas, but the way seibold stole our staff stinks to high heaven.
I dont believe for a second bennet wont bring his own staff ,im sure they will be employed by souths,we need to replace those that left, this bennet thing were he says richo said he cant bring his own staff reeks of get square,what coach dosent bring in his own people, there was even a article how demitriou told his kids they were moving to sydney, bennet wanted sacking the staff is now sacked bad bad donkeys,exactly what bennet wants to portray them as the guilty,and he has won
Richo may have said that before Gentle and Devlin resigned their positions, but now they way is clear for Wayne's crew to sign on.

Latest posts