What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

handyman2190

Bench
Great news if that's true about Roberts but I'll believe it when I see it. We are in desperate need of a strike centre so Jimmy is a no brainer for me! I thought that ship had sailed but this has certainly got me excited about it again. Make it happen Souths!
Hasnt sailed it was a game of politics, now the steeds are willing to pay 2/ 3rds of his salary we get him for around 160 to 200k ,if true. The jet was ours as you all know, i feel we didnt mentor and help him enough when we had him, now we can make amends, i was disappointed when he left, im happy with giving him a go.

callmack1

Staff member
NRL ladder leaders South Sydney are facing a shocking player shortage which could leave them with as few as 16 players to take on Parramatta next week.

Injury has cut such a large swath through Redfern that on Tuesday the Rabbitohs were forced to name just 20 players for Saturday night’s clash with the Wests Tigers.

In doing so, they became the first side to be unable to name a full 21-player squad since the NRL introduced its selection mandate last season.

Already without 10 of their top-30 squad, the Rabbitohs’ list of unavailable players will only get worse next week when both NSW and Queensland pick a host of their stars for State of Origin.

Souths will be forced to seek salary cap exemption from the NRL to promote players from outside of their top-30 squad in a bid to field a full side against the Eels next Friday.

A host of players, including Greg Inglis, Alex Johnston, Kyle Turner, Braidon Burns and Adam Doueihi are missing from the team to play the Tigers on Saturday night.

Liam Knight also needs to be cleared of concussion to take his place.

Souths’ injured brigade are not due back until the round 13 clash with Newcastle, which means they are budgeting to have 14 players missing for their Parramatta match.

That does not take into account potential injuries or suspensions resulting from their match against the Tigers.

Dane Gagai and Damien Cook will be picked by Queensland and NSW respectively while Cameron Murray is also closing in on an Origin debut. Halves Cody Walker and Adam Reynolds could earn a Blues berth while selectors have discussed winger Campbell Graham, who could come into the side should disaster strike the NSW’s outside backs before the team is chosen on Sunday.

Rabbitohs general manager of football Shane Richardson said the club was “doing it tough”.

“We welcome back players from round 13 onwards,” Richardson said. “Next week will be real tough for us. We need an NRL dispensation to fill in the team. We will have to bring up young players. But they aren’t in our top 30.

“We will have to apply for dispensation. We won’t have the numbers. If we lose four in Origin we will be down to 16 players if we don’t get injuries.”

The Rabbitohs have about $300,000 to spend this year because of the retirement of Inglis, who is still a part of their top-30 squad. They quashed any prospect of signing Brisbane’s James Roberts while Penrith’s Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is understood not to be in the club’s plans.

Fringe players including Cory Dennis, Kurt Dillon, Rhys Kennedy, Ky Rodwell and Connor Tracey are also unavailable.

“I’ve never been down to these sort of number,” Richardson said. “Sometimes clubs apply for dispensations to play young players. We have to bring in young players in just to fill in the gaps.

“It’s been like that for a few weeks. To be fair every player has done the job. That’s why we are 9-1. “There is great confidence they will do the job.”

Turner had already been a stopgap centre but his concussion has seen back-rower Ethan Lowe shifted to the outside backs.

The Rabbitohs had to draft in a handful of players to fill out their Canterbury Cup side this weekend which is boosted by a host of youngsters because the Jersey Flegg competition is in the midst of a two-week break.

callmack1

Staff member
Wow, I didn't realise it was that bad! It doesn't feel like it's that bad but then you think about it and realised how bad it really is.

Thankfully, everyone isn't too far away and we have guys continually stepping up and doing the job. Just have to ride out this period.

Travitoh

First Grade
Great news if that's true about Roberts but I'll believe it when I see it. We are in desperate need of a strike centre so Jimmy is a no brainer for me! I thought that ship had sailed but this has certainly got me excited about it again. Make it happen Souths!

Kyle Turner is our strike centre!
Or do you mean to replace Gagai?

ThingFish

Juniors
NRL ladder leaders South Sydney are facing a shocking player shortage which could leave them with as few as 16 players to take on Parramatta next week.

Injury has cut such a large swath through Redfern that on Tuesday the Rabbitohs were forced to name just 20 players for Saturday night’s clash with the Wests Tigers.

In doing so, they became the first side to be unable to name a full 21-player squad since the NRL introduced its selection mandate last season.

Already without 10 of their top-30 squad, the Rabbitohs’ list of unavailable players will only get worse next week when both NSW and Queensland pick a host of their stars for State of Origin.

Souths will be forced to seek salary cap exemption from the NRL to promote players from outside of their top-30 squad in a bid to field a full side against the Eels next Friday.

A host of players, including Greg Inglis, Alex Johnston, Kyle Turner, Braidon Burns and Adam Doueihi are missing from the team to play the Tigers on Saturday night.

Liam Knight also needs to be cleared of concussion to take his place.

Souths’ injured brigade are not due back until the round 13 clash with Newcastle, which means they are budgeting to have 14 players missing for their Parramatta match.

That does not take into account potential injuries or suspensions resulting from their match against the Tigers.

Dane Gagai and Damien Cook will be picked by Queensland and NSW respectively while Cameron Murray is also closing in on an Origin debut. Halves Cody Walker and Adam Reynolds could earn a Blues berth while selectors have discussed winger Campbell Graham, who could come into the side should disaster strike the NSW’s outside backs before the team is chosen on Sunday.

Rabbitohs general manager of football Shane Richardson said the club was “doing it tough”.

“We welcome back players from round 13 onwards,” Richardson said. “Next week will be real tough for us. We need an NRL dispensation to fill in the team. We will have to bring up young players. But they aren’t in our top 30.

“We will have to apply for dispensation. We won’t have the numbers. If we lose four in Origin we will be down to 16 players if we don’t get injuries.”

The Rabbitohs have about $300,000 to spend this year because of the retirement of Inglis, who is still a part of their top-30 squad. They quashed any prospect of signing Brisbane’s James Roberts while Penrith’s Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is understood not to be in the club’s plans.

Fringe players including Cory Dennis, Kurt Dillon, Rhys Kennedy, Ky Rodwell and Connor Tracey are also unavailable.

“I’ve never been down to these sort of number,” Richardson said. “Sometimes clubs apply for dispensations to play young players. We have to bring in young players in just to fill in the gaps.

“It’s been like that for a few weeks. To be fair every player has done the job. That’s why we are 9-1. “There is great confidence they will do the job.”

Turner had already been a stopgap centre but his concussion has seen back-rower Ethan Lowe shifted to the outside backs.

The Rabbitohs had to draft in a handful of players to fill out their Canterbury Cup side this weekend which is boosted by a host of youngsters because the Jersey Flegg competition is in the midst of a two-week break.
Might be like park footy, we have to say “can we borrow some of your players” :joy::joy::joy:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Wow, I didn't realise it was that bad! It doesn't feel like it's that bad but then you think about it and realised how bad it really is.

Thankfully, everyone isn't too far away and we have guys continually stepping up and doing the job. Just have to ride out this period.

It’s scary how we’re still playing so well. In previous years when we lose this many players we usually crumble to pieces. We are pretty much playing half our Canterbury cup side.

Travitoh

First Grade
It’s scary how we’re still playing so well. In previous years when we lose this many players we usually crumble to pieces. We are pretty much playing half our Canterbury cup side.

Not really. There are only 3 guys in the starting 13 that wouldn't be considered best 13 players.
It's a big injury list but most of the guys on it are reserve grade.

We desperately need a strike centre but Roberts won't be it... At least not at this stage. He's been on the market for quite a few weeks now and nobody has picked him up which is probably all you need to know about why we haven't moved on him.

We are keeping our powder dry in the hopes that maybe someone more suitable to our team will fall out of favor or just be offered up elsewhere. There are a few teams who will have salary cap issues if they don't move one or two players on by the cut off so we are waiting to see who is offered up in the next few weeks.

The only way this changes is if we have a few more injuries or if we get hammered by Origin. At the moment, the cupboard is pretty bare but we have three or four players all due back within the next two rounds which should keep our heads above water.

Basically... If we have another major backline injury this week, I reckon you'll see Roberts here on Monday but if we get through this Tigers game relatively unscathed, we will hold fire and hope for someone a bit younger and more suitable long term to become available.

Either way though, we will add one or two more players before the cutoff. Richo is aware that we can't go from end June all the way through to September with what we currently have in the squad.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Not really. There are only 3 guys in the starting 13 that wouldn't be considered best 13 players.
It's a big injury list but most of the guys on it are reserve grade.

I guess I’m more referring to the fact that we’ve gone through so many players that are regulars in our Canterbury cup side in Gagan, Turner, Hiroti, Kennedy, Britt. Come origin we will be going through even more players most likely Sironen, Tracey, Brittain maybe even Dennis.

assess5

Juniors
Did you watch the manly game? Gaigan was atrocious the whole game, completely out of his depth, he has played first grade before in previous seasons, so he wasn't on debut, and if he had made a couple of mistakes it would have been fine, but the whole game it was like he was in a daze. I dont think he will be resigned, if you cant step up in need and we have to resort to 2nd rowers its not good.

Watched the Manly game, I thought Manly won the first twenty minutes, Souths didn't turn up, Souths thumped Manly for the next forty minutes, then Souths went to sleep for the final twenty minutes and if Reynold's field goal hadn't hit the upright Souths would have won - don't remember Gaigan's performance at all, remember trying to watch his performance can't think of anything to say about him - can anybody add their view.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Watched the Manly game, I thought Manly won the first twenty minutes, Souths didn't turn up, Souths thumped Manly for the next forty minutes, then Souths went to sleep for the final twenty minutes and if Reynold's field goal hadn't hit the upright Souths would have won - don't remember Gaigan's performance at all, remember trying to watch his performance can't think of anything to say about him - can anybody add their view.

I agree with this assessment. If anyone cost us the game it was George Burgess.

I haven't watched it since the day. My only memories were Reyno missing a kick from about five metres off centre that he would usually kick blindfolded and then I remember him hitting the upright with a field goal attempt that would've won it as well.

I don't think it was anyone's fault as such, rather I think it was just one of those days where things didn't quite go our way.

ThingFish

Juniors
I haven't watched it since the day. My only memories were Reyno missing a kick from about five metres off centre that he would usually kick blindfolded and then I remember him hitting the upright with a field goal attempt that would've won it as well.

I don't think it was anyone's fault as such, rather I think it was just one of those days where things didn't quite go our way.
Yeah, it was just one of those days. Those games with things like Reyno missing 3 goals and 2 field goals, with each miss you just think it is just not happening. Then after 70 odd minutes of that sinking feeling we were still only about 2 inches of goal post away from winning it. Plus Manly really brought it, they really slowed the ruck and took Cookie right out of the game

Frank Facer

First Grade
Matt Lodge would be a great in. Sure he has a dark past but that is where it has remained.

I'd rather give the break to George. I know Bennett has positive history with Lodge so maybe Bennett can get the best from Lodge. How would I know really. But three Burgess bros. playing together fits together real well, I think.

As for Peachy coming to Souths, highlights exactly what I was saying before. What possible benefits does he bring with him that we don't already have, he's not especially good at anything really, is he. He just fills in somewhere in a team.

I think - Spend all money on existing players - unless a super star like Latrell Mitchell can be lured to us.

No more players who are really only seventy percenters , like Peachey.
I agree with you regarding Peachy. I wouldn't want him at Saints either. He is a good bench player.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Personally rather not see Roberts here. All this bullshit about a changed man under Bennet’s wing, yet he still got away with plenty while up here. Coming to Sydney will be out of the pan and into the fire. So if he f**ks up it’ll then put ripples through the team.
Meanwhile we’re winning without him. Burns will be back soon. Turner and Lowe have done very well considering. I’d like the money put to a recruit at the end of the year or a poaching raid.

If Roberts comes back I don’t think he’ll see out the term of his contract.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Peachy I’d take at the right price. But I don’t think we’d get him. Redfern I think would be a positive into his mentality and his best footy would flow from that

southsport

First Grade
Hasnt sailed it was a game of politics, now the steeds are willing to pay 2/ 3rds of his salary we get him for around 160 to 200k ,if true. The jet was ours as you all know, i feel we didnt mentor and help him enough when we had him, now we can make amends, i was disappointed when he left, im happy with giving him a go.
It would be handy to see the Jet land at Redfern early this week.