What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raper probably our new coach - according to the Herald

Docking

Juniors
Sydney Morning Herald, 4/11/03

"Back in the staffroom, but Raper is happy to let others do the sums
November 4, 2003

Stuart Raper may have arrived in the right place, Shark Park, at the right time, writes Brad Walter.

After six years of coaching in England, Stuart Raper yesterday returned to Cronulla to oversee an off-season that is set to resemble a series of Survivor - both on and off the training paddock.

Deputising for Test coach Chris Anderson, who is away on the Kangaroo tour, Raper outlined a summer fitness program for the Sharks players that involves Ironman-type drills as well as the usual weights, speed and skills work.

Yet while the gruelling schedule was devised by Anderson, there are few who believe he will ever get to enjoy the benefits of it.

A meeting with the Cronulla hierarchy after his return from Australia's tour of Great Britain next month is expected to result in Anderson's dismissal.

Given that Raper has been touted as Anderson's replacement, it could be an uncomfortable situation for the 38-year-old, who began his coaching career in the club's lower grades.

But of all the things that Raper learnt during his stints with Castleford and Wigan, perhaps the most important was not to worry about things outside his control.

"I know it wasn't the NRL, but there's a different type of pressure over there. The crowds are more intense, the media are a bit different and there's a lot of politics - especially when you go to the top clubs," Raper said.

"I think I was the first [Super League] coach to get sacked this year, but every season I was there five or six coaches on average have been sacked. At the end of the day, I think Wigan probably did me a bit of a favour by showing me the door.

"It's all about being in the right place at the right time. I didn't have a job and then all of a sudden this opportunity came to work with Chris."

For Raper, it was also a chance to return home, but the Sharks bear little resemblance to the club he left in 1997. Of the playing roster, only prop Jason Stevens and fullback David Peachey remain, while team doctor Peter Malouf is the sole survivor among the off-field staff.

Coincidentally, it was the Sharks' desire for change that prompted officials to head-hunt Anderson 2 years ago rather than appoint Raper, who was instead lured from Castleford to Wigan to replace Frank Endacott.

Now the Cronulla board regrets its decision, but despite Anderson's unpopularity Raper supports the decisions he has made at the club.

"I can see where Chris is coming from, he has shaken them up and hopefully it is for the better," Raper said. "I know that people will try and put two and two together, but they will always get five in this situation. It's just a matter of timing and coincidence."

Given Raper's recent knowledge of the game in England, it's not surprising that he has also been advising Anderson on the strengths and weaknesses of key Lions players in the Test series, which starts this weekend.

Like many others, though, he believes Britain may be about to inflict the Kangaroos' first Ashes series loss since 1970.

"I don't know when, but I do think the time will come that Great Britain beat Australia, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was this year," Raper said.

"Australia has got a lot of key players out and I think the way Adrian Morley's season went over here will give a lot of confidence to the Great Britain players. I think the other players over there have seen him mix it with the best in Australia and they will be thinking that if he can do it, then why can't they."

Seems they are re-hashing old news that's been rumoured for months now...

fizman

Bench
I really really hope that they give Anderson his final year. If Anderson does stay on, it wouldn't surprise me if we won the comp. There are so many people from WITHIN the Club who want to see Anderson fail, but he seems to have a uncanny knack of producing results under these adversities and throwing it back into the face of his criticisers.

A perfect example just might be this Roo tour. Alot of people have been death riding Anderson, but it wouldn't surprise me if they not only retained the Ashes, but really gave it to the Poms. IF this DOES occur our Board should take note and reassess their position immediately.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
fizman said:
, but he seems to have a uncanny knack of producing results under these adversities and throwing it back into the face of his criticisers.

A perfect example just might be this Roo tour. Alot of people have been death riding Anderson, but it wouldn't surprise me if they not only retained the Ashes, but really gave it to the Poms. IF this DOES occur our Board should take note and reassess their position immediately.
thats rpa Fizman.
Australian couldlose another 10 players, replace them & stil win the ashes.
Ithasnothing to do with Cronulla.
If he loses the Ahses it is indicative.IF he wins, it was more than expected.
As it should be with players from a teir one competition against players from a 2nd teir comp.

fizman

Bench
Docking said:
"I don't know when, but I do think the time will come that Great Britain beat Australia, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was this year," Raper said.

Reefy, seems as though Mr Raper would disagree with you.

dannyboy

Juniors
Geez Reefy, you really hate the man - what did he do to you - sleep with the missus?

I think I've got it now...If the Roos lose then it's all Anderson's fault. If the Roos win then Anderson had nothing to do with it.

One last thing....now which way is up again? :?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
fizman said:
Docking said:

Reefy, seems as though Mr Raper would disagree with you.

Yep. It would not surprise me either if they did win.
But as as Lazzo said in his article yeterday, Australia should not lose, even with the loss of more players.
It is avery, very strong outfit, still.
The NRL competition produces far more high intensity players than super leagues "pomms".

& yes Danny boy, spot on.

Nages

Juniors
fizman said:
I really really hope that they give Anderson his final year.

I agree. The only way 2004 is going to be anything other than a disaster is if Ando gets another crack. If they pull the plug on him now, they're pulling the plug on the Sharks for 2004 and for who knows how much longer after that...?

Give him another year and it's a win-win situation. He'll either (as I believe) perform and turn last year's season around - building a solid team for the future. Or fail and have to go without a massive payout.

Boot him now and it's lose-lose. It'll cost us a bang, and the team will be in disarray next year. If they boot him - in my opinion - it will be because the Board are incapable of ignoring their fragile egos and do not have the best interests of the Club at heart.

wittyfan

Referee
Nages said:
If they boot him - in my opinion - it will be because the Board are incapable of ignoring their fragile egos and do not have the best interests of the Club at heart.

:shock: And Anderson does? It's time to stop the bleeding now before it gets far far worse.

Docking said:
Deputising for Test coach Chris Anderson, who is away on the Kangaroo tour, Raper outlined a summer fitness program for the Sharks players that involves Ironman-type drills as well as the usual weights, speed and skills work.

A mate of mine was talking to him at the charity golf day yesterday, apparently Raper thinks that all the forwards were 5kg underweight last year, so there will be a bit less emphasis on sprints, and a more on weights once they start training.

carcharias

Immortal
I agree. The only way 2004 is going to be anything other than a disaster is if Ando gets another crack. If they pull the plug on him now, they're pulling the plug on the Sharks for 2004 and for who knows how much longer after that...?

Give him another year and it's a win-win situation. He'll either (as I believe) perform and turn last year's season around - building a solid team for the future. Or fail and have to go without a massive payout.

Boot him now and it's lose-lose. It'll cost us a bang, and the team will be in disarray next year. If they boot him - in my opinion - it will be because the Board are incapable of ignoring their fragile egos and do not have the best interests of the Club at heart
yep ! as much as I hate all this crap in the papers and on the tele especially when Ando is doing the talking . I think it might be best for the team we now have. The guys who are left seem to be behind the coach .
Whatever has happened is history , Preston aint coming back either is Mat rogers , Triester or Nick Graham . The last few weeks of last year the team started to get their act together . I know reefy wont agree but BK is probably our only hope.If he's not playing we wont win the bloody thing.
In saying this every game I watched in pain last year I did say things in the heat of the moment e.g f****** anderson your gorrnne give me a gun etc etc :lol: :lol:
Im quietly confident 2004 will be a better year for us supporters .

Nages

Juniors
sullyfan said:
Nages said:
If they boot him - in my opinion - it will be because the Board are incapable of ignoring their fragile egos and do not have the best interests of the Club at heart.

:shock: And Anderson does? It's time to stop the bleeding now before it gets far far worse.

If you look at the team we have for next year, I think the bleeding's pretty well stopped. We've bled, sure. But I think before all this started most supporters were gearing up for a great year next year.

Cutting Anderson will just start the bleeding all over again.

Jimbo

Immortal
sullyfan said:
Nages said:

Most of the bleeding is coming from the board's knives in Ando's back...

shadowboxer

First Grade
it will be an interesting few months for sharks supporters for all the wrong reasons. I hope the mess is cleaned up quickly.

Morpheus

Juniors
On Friday of last week, a boardmember directly said " there will be an end to all the rubbish very soon, don't worry, it's going to be fixed up"

read into that what you will, however the only possibly translation from what I see is that the board will sack anderson on his return. A reason given was that there was not enough time to properly negotiate an amicable settlement before Anderson left for the roo tour, hence the boards limp wristed "solution" of putting everything off until he returns.

I tend to think that the board would rather Anderson is sacked after the tour becuase it will mean the papers are not as interested in league and the circket season will be well underway.

Sorry, but Chris Anderson will not be the sharks coach next year, Raper is the man.

The festering sore of the 'whole back me or sack me' issue, never healed. Now the wounds have opened up even further. I think the dramas will only get worse, and it won't conducive to a successful 2004.

I hope we still have a club to support at the end of it.

fizman

Bench
Morpheus said:
On Friday of last week, a boardmember directly said " there will be an end to all the rubbish very soon, don't worry, it's going to be fixed up"
Maybe the Board are going to sack themselves???

Whilst my opinion IS biased, Stuart Raper IS NOT the right Coach for the job. I have a Coach in mind who would be BRILLIANT in every sense of the word. The mans name is Neil Wharton, and he currently coaches the Redcliffe Dolphins in the Queensland Cup. His resume reads as follows:

2000 First year as Coach (Premiers)
2001 (Runners Up)
2002 (Premiers)
2003 (Premiers)

4 years coaching, 4 Grand Finals 3 as Premiers. Neil is also the Qld Residents coach and is thought of VERY highly by the likes of Wayne Bennett. He has also had some exposure to the NRL by Redcliffe's association with the Roosters in the NRL. What makes Whartons achievements even more impressive is that Redcliffe lose players every year to the NRL, so he is basically starting with a fairly new squad each year.