What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray warren retiring at end of season

Frederick

Staff member
Ray Warren set to retire from television commentary after 50th year calling rugby league

Play Ultimate League: The draft style fantasy rugby league game
Fixtures: The NRL 2016 draw
The People's Power Rankings: Have your say
Ray Warren, the undisputed voice of rugby league, has revealed he is likely to retire at the end of this season.

The man affectionately known as "Rabs" celebrates his 50th season as a caller in 2016, a glittering commentary career that began calling for 2LF in Young.

Advertisement
Calling time: Ray Warren.
Calling time: Ray Warren.Photo: Supplied
Speaking at the Nine Network's NRL Launch at The Greens in North Sydney, Warren revealed this was likely to be his final year behind the microphone.

"Fifty and out. I like that," Warren told Fairfax Media.

"I'm thinking this season will be it for me, I'm thinking that way.

"In fact, I'd be happy to get through the year, to be honest.

"I've had some bad health in the past 12 months and had too many anaesthetics, maybe it's trying to tell me something.

"I'm thinking if I can get through this year it would be good. I've had the prostate problem, hernias and God knows what operated on.

"You're in hospital with all the footballers in the off season."

The news comes on the eve of the new season, at a time when the Nine Network will go head to head with Fox Sports, who will be showing every game live with their own commentary team.

"If I can go on, I will but I'm just telling you the honest truth," Warren said.

"At the moment, if I get through this year I'll be happy."

Warren said he was just as excited to call rugby league now as when he started five decades ago.

"This is my 50th year. I still get excited about it, it's not a fake sound of excitement," he said.

"These things thrill me. The modern day players are making it more thrilling."

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...ear-calling-rugby-league-20160226-gn4a86.html

Thank god. No more will we have to listen to him get players names wrong and completely miss stuff happening on field while he's going off on some random tangent that has absolutely nothing to do with the game being played

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
He'll no longer have to put up all those tough Polynesian names like...Liu. also won't have to get them continually mixed up anymore because even though they are on opposite sides of the field, have completely different hair and is a 15kg difference they are all identical

typicalfan

Coach
Well Ray Hadley is even worse with names. Can't count how many times he called Jack Reed Alex Glenn and Vica versa.

Warren has seen better days but if the replacement is Hadley that won't be an improvement.

no name

Coach
He was great in the 90s and up until the mid 00s.

His calls of 'Mmmmeeenzieeees!' Or 'Kyeeeneddy!' Whenever they did something good were absolute pearlers.

Shame he tarnished his great name by hanging on at least 5 years too long when his lack of interest really started to show.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would never wish anyone ill health.
I can say I am happy Ray is going, but Hadley would be even worse.
What is wrong the people @ CH9?
Then again, I will never have to watch CH9 again.
Fox all the way.

Rhyno

First Grade
Ray is still a million times better than any other caller

Vossy,smith,hadley they all suck

adamkungl

Immortal
The big games won't be the same.

Yeah, should be much improved.

Ray is still a million times better than any other caller

Vossy,smith,hadley they all suck

Lol no.

Andrews Voss and Moore call a way better game than Warren and Hadley have for at least 10 years. Fox's stable is great too.

I'm gonna go out and say it. I may get flamed for this. But.

Eddie and Stevo are currently better than Rabs and Gus.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
It's been a long time coming. As iconic as he is he has been making on air errors far to often. Thanks for the memories Rabs, watching the game won't be the same again.

steggz

Juniors
He was great in the 90s and up until the mid 00s.

His calls of 'Mmmmeeenzieeees!' Or 'Kyeeeneddy!' Whenever they did something good were absolute pearlers.

"Mullins!"

That try v Newcastle.

Sad to see him go, but the right decision. Matt Thompson (?), 9's third caller, is pretty good, Hadley needs to be rid of, as he isn't a tv caller. Same with Andrew Moore, he does a good radio call, but I couldn't see him making the transition to tv.

simmo05

Bench
No, no, no,no NO. Who is that idiot Gould going to talk crap with for half the game now? IMO Keep Hadley in radio where he is good, fire Gould, bring back Voss and poach Smith

Johnny88

Juniors
Good luck Rabs. Great career, Ch9 has no back up plan it seems. Hope Hadley does not take over. Lucky I have Fox

Last Week

Bench
I find this sad. He's an icon in RL. I always wanted him to call one more GF win for Parramatta. He's an Eels fan and would be supported by Sterlo. As an Eels fan, I couldn't think of anything better.