What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 22 Team V Bunnies

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Plenty said about our performance yesterday, but does that signal team changes?
My thoughts are as follows:

F/B - Dufty - has to remain and gain further invaluable experience
W - Nene and Nighty
C - Lafai and Dugan
6 - Widdop
7 - Mann
8 - LAM
9 - McInnes
10 - Vaughan
11 - Friz (if fit)
12 - Thompson
13 - JDB

Bench
14 - Sims
15 - Lawrie - we need a prop not a makeshift one
16 - Packer - on borrowed time
17 - McCrone - as the back up hooker/half

Feel for young Host but he needs game time and he's only going to get it in reggies (unfortunately).
I think Mann would supply more spark at half, and allow Widdop to do the kicking. McCrone played hooker for the Cutters last year and could be a useful interchange to give McInnes a breather. Plus I think it adds better balance to the backline especially if we cop an injury where Mann could cover. I'd put Sims as the attacking edge weapon where I feel he's more dangerous rather than punching it up in the engine room.
If Friz is busted then Host should get the bench spot and move Sims onto the 2nd row.
Anyway, just my thoughts.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I'd be happy with the same 17 to be named for this round. We were our own worst enemy against the Knights but if we cut out the errors and complete out sets then i'm confident we can rope the season back.

I'm hanging out for Hutchison's return as well to we can finally see the end of McCrone.

epDragon62

First Grade
I'd be happy with the same 17 to be named for this round. We were our own worst enemy against the Knights but if we cut out the errors and complete out sets then i'm confident we can rope the season back.

I'm hanging out for Hutchison's return as well to we can finally see the end of McCrone.
Is Hutch any chance to play this year?

Given he seemed to take a long time to dominate in The Reggies last year it would seem unlikely that he will come to NRL standard any time this year. Wish he would as his kicking would be helpful.

mickeylane

Bench
Same team is the best we can dish out - just give DUGAN early ball and he will rip them apart.. Run straight hard and play the ball the quickly .

epDragon62

First Grade
Same team except take the captaincy off Widdop and give it to Joel Thompson or JDB.
Give it to JDB I say. I think he has more smarts than JT and equal passion.

Widdop should be told to concentrate on his game.

I really do believe that Nighty in front of Mann is a decision based on emotion not fact. If Mary plays Nighty then the rotation suggested to give McI a break and move McCrone to hooker or Put Mann there for a while is a must.

I'd rest Friz regardless this week and play Simms on the edge with Laurie on the bench, he will be a beast. Packer probably needs a chance to recover too and we could have Sele back on the bench.

Here's one to surely receive venomous reaction, I'd put Marketo on the bench and drop Nighty. Marketo always goes hard and can cover quite a few posies. He is reliable and gets way too much hate on this forum; shame he isn't bigger...

Last edited:

Given he seemed to take a long time to dominate in The Reggies last year it would seem unlikely that he will come to NRL standard any time this year. Wish he would as his kicking would be helpful.
Hutch is back in training has been for a week or so.

He was very consistant for the Cutters last year he actually made it alot easier for Nona who was very good but this year was average before he left.

He sure as hell would be better then McCrone.

slippery5

Juniors
Give it to JDB I say. I think he has more smarts than JT and equal passion.

Widdop should be told to concentrate on his game.

I really do believe that Nighty in front of Mann is a decision based on emotion not fact. If Mary plays Nighty then the rotation suggested to give McI a break and move McCrone to hooker or Put Mann there for a while is a must.

I'd rest Friz regardless this week and play Simms on the edge with Laurie on the bench, he will be a beast. Packer probably needs a chance to recover too and we could have Sele back on the bench.

Here's one to surely receive venomous reaction, I'd put Marketo on the bench and drop Nighty. Marketo always goes hard and can cover quite a few posies. He is reliable and gets way too much hate on this forum; shame he isn't bigger...
Although I do think we should be trying some other options with a bit more strike power, the fact that people are suggesting Marketo in any form is a sad state of affairs, if that is the best we have to choose from then I'm sending in some highlights of my recent Masters game.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Unless Tyson is injured still nothiing will change....McGregor has already laid the blame squarely on the refs shoulders....

j0nesy

Bench

Yeah, agreed. We were unlucky in the pre season with both Hutch and Dufty getting injured. I reckon we would have won a couple more games with Hutch over Mccrone. I doubt he's a chance of playing though. Even if he were, I'd doubt Mr conservative would play him this year.

W - Nene and Nighty
C - Lafai and Dugan
6 - Widdop
7 - Mann
8 - LAM
9 - McInnes
10 - Vaughan
11 - Friz (if fit)
12 - Thompson
13 - JDB

Bench
14 - Sims

Feel for young Host but he needs game time and he's only going to get it in reggies (unfortunately).
I think Mann would supply more spark at half, and allow Widdop to do the kicking. McCrone played hooker for the Cutters last year and could be a useful interchange to give McInnes a breather. Plus I think it adds better balance to the backline especially if we cop an injury where Mann could cover. I'd put Sims as the attacking edge weapon where I feel he's more dangerous rather than punching it up in the engine room.
If Friz is busted then Host should get the bench spot and move Sims onto the 2nd row.
Only spanner is if Aitken is fit then McGregor will automatically drop Dufty and put Dugan to FB.

possm

Coach

W - Nene and Nighty
C - Lafai and Dugan
6 - Widdop
7 - Mann
8 - LAM
9 - McInnes
10 - Vaughan
11 - Friz (if fit)
12 - Thompson
13 - JDB

Bench
14 - Sims

In my opinion you have it exactly right. I said the same in another post. So if you and I and others on here can see it, why can't our clueless coaching staff?

possm

Coach
The team against the Knights was fine. Preparation, attitude & on field leadership need urgent attention. That is where the game will be won or lost. Oh and use Mann if you pick him in the side.
I absolutely agree. Many years ago when I played, the captain was always directing play, geeing up the team, adjusting things during the game and the players responded. Widdop should be saying;

Lafai, no more flick passes even before the kick-off, after the first set in attack Widdop should have told everyone to run straight and hard on tackles 1-3 and lead by example. McCrone should have been instructed to kick to the right corner sometimes high for Macdonald and Dugan and sometimes low for the sideline. It should be Widdop belting out instructions; he is the Captain for goodness sakes.

I personally would like to go back to the days when the St Johns Ambo guy came on when a player was injured and there were no instructions from the coach during play. Like on a ship at sea, the Captain is in charge during play.

Latest posts