What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 29/7/22

Eelementary

Post Whore
At 12-4 I was looking forward to winning against 13 men. We may not of but we where travelling well. At worse its probably 12-10 halftime and game on.
The send off ruined th spectacle. It ruined our test and it also ruined what could of been some real self belief.
The two point are great but I reckon we where atleast 50/50 of winning that game. Probably higher. We where denied a confidence building win tonight.

I don't think we were denied a confidence-building win just because Cleary had a brain fart...

Parra

Referee
Well done Parra fans. It was looking an awesome game before Cleary got done, and you were on top.

Hopefully meet again in the GF and we make it 1-2 for the year!!
Cleary done himself. It was awesome and 3 blot sounds better. It would be a great GF. See you there if all goes well.

Gronk

Staff member
Brad Arthur is an absolute f**king fraud. Team playing some actual good attacking football, thirty points in the first half then this hack get's them their pep talk at half time and we manage to score four f**king points in the second half against twelve men.
Nailed it. That’s exactly what he said to them at half time. Everytime the trainer ran out in the second half, the message from Brad was “stick to the game plan, play like shit”

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We looked great in the first 17mins. I find it hard to gauge after that. 12 men and Penrith where rattled. I found the 2nd half boring.
Then2 points are important but I feel like it was a hollow win and ruined what was going to be a great game of football.
They could have had 14 men on the field and we still would have belted the absolute panther shit out of them.

You always talk us down and penrith up which is annoying. Lets be very clear on this one - we ripped their panther heads off and shat down their panther necks.

Bandwagon

Staff member
On the second half vs our first half I reckon a lot of it boils down to that the way the game is played and officiated atm momentum is just such a huge thing, once you have gained it and if you can hold it and score, the defence is forced to make so many consecutive tackles and really just doesn't see any ball.

If you hold it long enough, which we did very well in the first half, your opponent is f**ked energy wise and it becomes very f**king hard for them to wrestle it back.

But with the rest at half time it becomes a reset, and a team like Penrith can and will reset, they are fit and mobile and will back their defence to create that momentum shift, and they did that well. To counter that you gotta take your opportunities, and the key moments for us were the obstruction call on Moses ( fair call ) and the strip on Paulo ( dud call ) . Those two incidents were where we could have regained momentum and gone on with it, but didn't.

That's the difference, in the first half we took those opportunities, in the second we squandered a couple, and that's all it takes, particularly against a quality side like the Pennies. It aint half time talks, or tactics or BA ball ( whatever the f**k that is ) or stupid players lacking pace or skill . It's concentration, attention to detail and probably a fair whack of belief and mental toughness to put effort on top of effort.

I think it's true that we went into the sheds at half time with the win banked, and I think that also played it's part in allowing the Pennies to get on top early and hold the momentum through pretty much the entire half.

hindy111

Post Whore
They could have had 14 men on the field and we still would have belted the absolute panther shit out of them.

You always talk us down and penrith up which is annoying. Lets be very clear on this one - we ripped their panther heads off and shat down their panther necks.

I didn't talk nothing down. We played against a team with 12 men and there origin halves missing.
You annoyed cause I called a spade a spade. It was 12-4 and as I said I was confident. Even if Nathan only got 10 mins we scored twice. It's 24-4 and game over.
Once they lost Nathan it was game ruined. I would not sit and beat my chest about beating a 12 man side.
Just as I wrote a detailed review on the Brisbane game explaining them scoring 2 x tries when Penisni was in the bin along with 2 that had so much luck.
Peninsi doesn't go to bin we may of won that game imo. It was close and we matched them in many stats. Was I talking Parra down?

I felt the 2nd half was ordinary. Unsure if we took the foot off the pedal. They could of scored 3 x and opened us up a few times. Maybe we where winding it down for next week. I was hoping we out 60 on them and improved our for and against.

hindy111

Post Whore
At the ground it was very frustrating how we could not find the extra man. You’d think that creating a 3 on 2 would be easy after one got red carded.

Thought similar. But I felt we just went sideways in 2nd half and stopped the power running.
I'm not even sure we took the 2nd half seriously.

strider

Post Whore
There wasn't much we could do in 2nd half.

We didn't get a penalty and just got one 6 again all half.
Yeah the little red haired boy seemed to lose his whistle in the 2nd half.

Now maybe to some extent thats cos the ruff got their fingers out and hzd more energy ... but there was plenty of loitering and hoolding down in the ruck, just wasnt getting the same attention it did in the first half - maybe the red haired boy was too harsh on the poor ruff in the first half?

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't think we were denied a confidence-building win just because Cleary had a brain fart...

I reckon we would of won regardless. I even mentioned the 3.50 is juicy odds to Pou and offered him a bet straight out head to head.

But I know when I go to work or talk about game to anyone it will be yeah but against 12 men. It's hard not to see it that way. Different if was in the 2nd half but it was after 15mins.
So I am only suggesting I wish he stayed on cause I was confident we win anyhows. And nobody could say against 12 men.