What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd8 2024: Eels v Manly GAME DAY THREAD @ 4 Pines Park April 26

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What circumstances would justify a change of coach, in your opinion?
I'm not defending the coach. I already said we could probably get similar results with plenty of others. If they sack him now I'll trust the club. If they keep him until the end of 2025, who am I to pretend I know better.

eel01s

Bench
I was out last night, and have only just watched the mini on Foxtel. My thoughts:

Same old defensive issues. Once a team breaks our line 9 times out of 10 they score.
We take the wrong option way too often.
Some players need a change of scenery. Granted I didn't see the whole game but Lane is hopeless in the middle. As others have pointed out we give out 4 year contracts like they are going out of fashion. To me a player needs to demonstrate good baseline form over two to three seasons to warrant such a long contract.
What can you say about Sivo? Dumb. Needs to go asap.
Can we practice goal kicking more? And not let an obviously hampered player take goal kicks?

BA needs to go.

Soto

Bench
I know we folded in the second half but I reckon that Lane was a hairs breath away from a very serious injury and possibly worse. I reckon if the ref and bunker had some guts they would have sent the Manly player off for that tackle and if so a totally different game would have unfolded.
Completely agree...not sure how they picked Olakoatou to go to the bin and not the goose with the long neck

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I know we folded in the second half but I reckon that Lane was a hairs breath away from a very serious injury and possibly worse. I reckon if the ref and bunker had some guts they would have sent the Manly player off for that tackle and if so a totally different game would have unfolded.

No real surprises with Sutton and Klein. :rolleyes:

Chipmunk

Coach
Individual brilliance is part of every team. It's why they buy those players. And no player is able to show individual brilliance without the team getting them into position to exploit weaknesses. Prior to this year we had no trouble making breaks or scoring tries. This year we do. The coaching hasn't changed.
But the sides individual brilliance has been altered over the past season and a bit. Firstly with the loss of players at the end of 2022, who were not replaced with players of equivalent individual brilliance, and with the players currently unavailable in the team due to injury, which has also currently altered the level individual brilliance.

My point is the coaching staff has failed to adapt to the changes in individual brilliance when they have occurred, and have not implemented the structural changes needed to accommodate the differences.

It is all just carry on and try and replicate what we've done before, with entirely different personnel...

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
So according to Gronk

Rcg, Guth,Sivo,Kelma have all been playing injured. Id say more like they are either just average players in Kelmas case. In declineand bodies not up to what it was in RCG/GUTHs case or pea hearts in Sivos case.
I think you’re trying to drive a wedge again.

Gronk

Staff member
Happy Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Being held together with Sticky tape??? Is that your expert prognosis???
So why do you have a sandy vag today ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But the sides individual brilliance has been altered over the past season and a bit. Firstly with the loss of players at the end of 2022, who were not replaced with players of equivalent individual brilliance, and with the players currently unavailable in the team due to injury, which has also currently altered the level individual brilliance.

My point is the coaching staff has failed to adapt to the changes in individual brilliance when they have occurred, and have not implemented the structural changes needed to accommodate the differences.

It is all just carry on and try and replicate what we've done before, with entirely different personnel...
I disagree we play the same way every year (or try to). In 2021-22 we were top two for set completions both years. Last year we took way more risks and were last for set completions, similar to 2019 when we were third for tries scored.

This year we are back to completing high but the players are just f**ked. Age might not weary dead ANZACs but it's wearied the shit out of our players.

yy_cheng

Coach

Thats because ba thinks he has put in a next man up system in place like tho panfers whereas in reality, players play all over the place in reggies

Maybe the message didnt gwt Thru

yy_cheng

Coach
Whoever is the fitness coach should be punted, they look mentally cooked in periods of the game and just basically give up. Canberra, Dolphins, last night the score wasnt as bad as the previous games mentioned but its the same old story just after half time. One try conceded and their heads go down. P1ss poor miss tackles, poor handling errors.

Ive never been so annoyed after a loss, especially against Manly who werent at their best and shouldve had two players in the bin but thats how the game goes.
I remember one interview in the off season where ba said we needed more comraderie and bonding and hence all the get aways and less time on drilling them hard

Gazzamatta

Coach
I remember one interview in the off season where ba said we needed more comraderie and bonding and hence all the get aways and less time on drilling them hard
Hiding Cartys bag was a crack-up. Shouldnt laugh I know but to highlight that on the video was f'n weird. Poor Russell.
Then there was the famous around the campfire chat "now we did this last year and it didnt work but we need it to work this year".
Not so far sadly.