What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebecca Wilson at it again

Charlie124

First Grade
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/vale-...64730463568194&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

THE WORLD of sports journalism is reeling following the death of outspoken and talented writer Rebecca Wilson overnight.

Rebecca, aged 54, died after a long and private battle with cancer.

A reporter in both print and TV, she was one of the first women to break into the male bastion of sports journalism back in the 1980s.

In doing so, she paved the way for the many women who work in the field today.

A fearless and crusading reporter, she called a spade a spade – and upset plenty of people along the way.

But she also made many friends and had the respect of all in the industry for the way she never took a backward step.

I worked with Rebecca for many years at News Limited, and when Super League hit the game in the 1990s.

She became the breakaway code’s PR person and worked 24/7 to ensure Super League got off to a successful start in those dark days in 1997.

I remember Rebecca calling me one day that year and asking if I would be interested in covering the Super League World Series in the north of England.

I gave the answer any journalist would – and she said ‘Leave it with me’ and hung up the phone.

Less than 24 hours later, I was on a plane bound for Manchester – such was Rebecca’s clout.

In recent years, those close to her knew of her battle with the big ‘C’.

It looked like Rebecca had it beat a couple of years ago – but the insidious monster came back to claim her.

Among sports journalists and out in the public, where her bold columns never failed to cause heated debate . . . she will be missed.

LESStar58

Referee
What amazes me is posters are doing exactly what they accuse her of doing and they can not see the contradiction of their posts.

Surely as human beings, feel for her family and friends on her loss to a such horrible disease.

I do feel for the people affected by her death... but I will not miss her and my opinion of her will not change just because she's dead.

She was nothing but a professional provacateur with many public platforms and a license to misbehave... which she did with impunity and if you dared criticise her (Paul Gallen telling Triple M that "she should look at the things shes done") she would chuck a hissy fit and attack you with even more vitriol.

I know myself that people will have not very nice things to say about me when I'm dead. Do I care? Absolutely not. I'll be buried at sea so the people who want to dance on my grave will all drown!

docbrown

Coach
I wouldn't deny freedom of speech to people here

Says the person who wants to lock the thread...

You'd rather that we all conform to your narrow opinion of what freedom of speech constitutes.

Like I said, even if the moderators lock the thread, your alleged moral authority of what is socially acceptable only has meaning to you. You're just another person trying to enforce your morality on others.

Martin Bryant is a monster. Stalin was a monster. Caligula was a monster. Get some perspective.

Every word has a potency. They build ideas. They can heal and harm. Words have a tremendous power.

You're not naive enough to think that I was calling Wilson a murderer. But a monster? Yes she was. Because she corrupted the power of words to destroy lives.

If there's one thing you should know about journalism it's that EVERY WORD MATTERS.

adamkungl

Immortal
Also, to claim she was merely a mouthpiece for someone else's agenda seems pretty disrespectful to her legacy as a supposed journalist.
She never gave a f**k about haters alive, why would she dead?
But I bet she cared about her independence and integrity as an opinion writer.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
What amazes me is posters are doing exactly what they accuse her of doing and they can not see the contradiction of their posts.

Surely as human beings, feel for her family and friends on her loss to a such horrible disease.

All I will say was, my mother had the same disease and beat it but other people I knew sadly didn't.

I don't wish cancer on any person, whether I liked them or not. So I cant imagine what the family is going through.

millersnose

Post Whore
So suddenly she's not a COAT around here.

No one is having a go at her family members who would obviously be taking this hard. No one is criticising her motherhood or spousal or friendship credentials. Everyone would have sympathy with (especially) her children.

She made a public career out of gossip-mongering, lies, sensationalism, lies, muckraking, sensationalism and lies. Just because she's a corpse doesn't wash this away and doesn't make her immune to having her public career and persona remembered for what it was.

My mother had breast cancer too and that has absolutely nothing to do with Rebecca Wilson's career as a deliberate manure spreader who did her shameless best to tarnish our code, its clubs and individuals for no reason except for personal gain. Why is this suddenly not OK to point out?

How she died matters not at all compared to how she lived. I'm sure most you taking the soft approach are genuinely better humans than me but the mind boggles, it really does.
Absolutely
We have all buried family members due to cancer including my own sister
Bec was not of good character and I for one am not going to pretend she was

Last edited:

millersnose

Post Whore
He says it as it is

Other people point out the lack of respect she had for the manna have family in implying he was a drug cheat

Snoochies

First Grade
A lot of people want to defend the Mannah family, they were obviously disappointed and hurt but I'm sure they moved on which showed a lot of integrity and showed Bec for who she was, but I'm not sure the Mannah family are exactly dancing in the living room at the moment overjoyed at her death either, in fact I bet the Mannah family felt sorry for Bec for having to turn to gutter journalism for a living.

Be like the Mannahs and move on, don't act like the person you despise.

Apey

Staff member
If I was in her family, my distress at her passing would be compounded, if I knew, by the outpouring this pack mentality has unleashed online.

yeah but you're not so nobody cares

I don't think for one moment that any of you would approach, in real life, the family member of a recently deceased person and say within earshot some of the things that have been said of late in this thread. .

What kind of dickhead would do that? I mean maybe if it was a sport sledge or something. Or a villain to a good guy in the movies.

But if you have posted it here, you have potentially said it to their face. Think about that.

and what kind of moron would read a forum dedicated to a sport that a deceased family member of yours spent her career rubbishing, haha.

gUt

Coach

People in this thread are deliberately lying and making shit up in their newspaper columns and other media broadcasts for personal profit?

Who cares how she died? What difference does it make to what she did while alive? Why do you consider it a point that her family and friends loved her and are sad she's dead? It has nothing to do with the professional muckraker's public life and record which we're perfectly entitled to spit on, no matter what state of animation she's in.