What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment & Player Retention

Gone: Frizz, Bakuya, Townsend, Peachey

Bought: Lewis, Ryan, Heighington, Gordon, Wright

Retained: Tupou, Leutele, Robson, Carney, Lichaa

Rumours: SKD, FPN, Fafita MK2, Fai Fai Lao, Lafai, Hodgkinson

These are all I can think of off the top of my head and I'll qualify beforehand, I don't pretend to have the inside oil here but these are just my opinions from an outsider looking in.

Frizz - Dropped the ball massively here. Why he wasn't retained is beyond me. Very dumb!

Bakuya - Not really sure how this one played out but he is a big loss to our team. I get the feeling he may have just wanted out regardless after all the ASADA crap broke. Not sure how hard we tried to keep him? I'm very disappointed he is leaving.

Townsend - Can and should feel hard done by. Put in a solid season in 2011 and did enough to deserve first crack at HB in 2012. It should have been his spot to lose to Robson not to earn back from him. If it played out this way, we may have actually seen how he performed inside Carney, unfortunately this never eventuated. IMO, poor management of a decent junior.

Peachey - Gob smacked to say the least. Seriously WTF? My understanding from what I've read on here is that he left for not much more cash but more so because of playing guarantees and essentially having a little bit of faith in his ability! It appears he has basically given the club a big f**k you for f**king him around and I don't blame him. He's what 22 next year? Seriously, I'm reading comments on here about how Graham is almost the same age however has played 100 nrl games, that's true but it's because Penrith actually show faith in their juniors and push them through the system and don't clip their wings and put them in that shithouse comp that is NSW cup. IMO, both Frizz and Peachey were held back for way too long and should have been brought through much earlier than they were, they were stand outs, if they didn't cut it then move them on, simple as that.

Lewis - Goes with out saying, outstanding pickup

Ryan - see Lewis

Gordon - see Lewis

Heighington - I like him, I think he really puts in but im afraid he was surplus to our requirements, we had Frizz and Peach in the pipelines. Still can't work out whether Ryan and Heighington was a package, both or none?

Wright - Not a very wise purchase, not a fan at all

Tupou - Has had some decent games since returning from injury. I simply look at this from another point of view, if Tupou was stock and I was and investor, would I be happy with my return on investment for the investment term? Simply, NO. For a game breaking, attacking forward that came to us, regardless of injuries, he has simply not delivered for me. The Rugby League Live app stats indicate that for this season and last tupou has scored 0 tries, averages 20 tackles & averages 8.5 runs per game. Sure he may not have been utilised in the right way but for me that involvement doesn't warrant retention considering other younger cost effective talent we could have given a go that has now walked!

Leutele - I like what I see, very glad we retained and was disappointed when he picked up that injury, hopefully he gets first crack again next year

Robson - I'm a big fan of Robbo & glad he was resigned, a bit sceptical when we first signed him, brings a fantastic kicking game and has a steadying influence on the game, don't underestimate the structure he brings to carneys running game as first receiver, crisp passing and very good timing. Can get isolated one on one in defence at times, not necessarily always his fault. Love his technique, always around the legs, ala Michael Speechley. I think he was lucky to get first crack at half over Townsend but that's the way the cookie crumbled and he essentially hasn't put a foot wrong.

Carney - See Lewis, lots of respect for resigning with us considering much bigger offers that were on the table

Lichaa - Looks awesome from what I have seen. Not getting my hopes up, likely to be playing else where with our track record. If we are to keep him interested he needs to be shown some game time.

SKD - no thanks, not a fan, has had one break out season other than that I think he is shithouse, don't care if he was international centre of the year two years ago. If we are going with that line of thinking then sign Benji up, he is killing it! :sarcasm:

FPN - Haven't really seen much of him so can't really comment

Fafita MK2 - Has anyone actually seen him play? If he is anything like his brother then fantastic, but seriously, is it any wonder that kids like peachey who have put in the hard yards are walking? There are a lot of comments flying around about whether people have actually watched nsw cup before calling for certain players to be given a crack, don't really see how this is any different? Where has he come from and what has he shown to be a recruitment target other than being Fafita's brother?

Fai Fai Loa - seen him a couple of times, seems alright, again can't really comment

Lafai - See Fai Fai Loa

Hodgkinson - Wouldn't be chasing him if we kept Chad, an indifferent signing for me, how old is he?

Essentially, I feel we have focused too much on the big name signings and forgotten about some of the exciting prospects we had in our system. A successful squad has a good balance between experience & youth. Peachey will be a monumental loss, he is an out and out footballer, very, very silly mistake on our behalf.

If the coach could have convinced Gal that it is was best for the team that he played prop and we didn't sign Heighington and didn't resign tupou then we could have retained at least two out of Frizz, Bukuya, Peachey if not all.

We are building and ageing squad and I don't see much investment in youth. If flanno doesn't rate the players running around in the lower grades then bloody do something about it, seriously who is scouting for talent? We could be setting ourselves up for a stack here if he doesn't pull off some results with this current side and identify some new juniors to pump through the system, if you can call it that, more like a quagmire!

Anyway, tear it apart as you will, just my thoughts.

The Popper

Bench
I was shattered when I heard about Peachey. Best prospect we've had for yonks IMO, and we let him go. Hope the powers that be have an equal or better replacement in mind otherwise next year our squad could be looking like Dad's Army.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Im not so sure the let him go tag is fair to be honest. I'm not buying the he would have stayed for less dough. I reckon he wants to play 13, has figured out who we have ahead of him and like CT thinks his opportunities to play NRL are far better at another club where the obstacles in that position aren't so onerous. He had a taste of NRL as a benchy and he did very well. I reckon he got the best offer we could give him and probably a little more TBH. He's managing his future.

carcharias

Immortal
I really don't care to be honest.
We can't keep or sign everyone.

I am very happy with the current squad
Best in yonks

Win the f**king thing now and worry about the 2020 squad later .

Weaponhead

Coach
Good thread.

A few thoughts.

Frizz - my understanding was that we offered the same cash and he went for the opportunity to play more NRL. the kid made a career choice. Not much we could do.

Bakuya - was pretty average in the first part of the season and has improved. Disappointed to lose him but wouldn't see benefit in a bidding war.

Chad - Didn't get the opportunity to play with Carney but didn't do enough to force the coach to pick him. Robson is a solid journeyman and if he can't beat him to the spot then maybe a change of scene is best for him

Peachey - Earnt more of a shot through weight of performance in the reggies and wasn't picked because of the number of experienced players ahead of him. I would have liked Flanno to take a chance and blood him to see if he had it but Flanno doesn't take risks. If he was a centre, he would be the first player picked but he aint.

Gordon, Ryan and Lewis have been excellent signings. Heino has been solid and it was a package deal to get Beau so worth it.

J Wright - I am not a fan. Doesn't go hard enough for mine in defense.

Leutele - Shows promise but has really done nothing at NRL level to yet.

Tupou - good player when used right. I am happy to keep him if the price is right. His last contract was signed when he was an international and we were shit.

Rumours
D Fifita - I have seen him play a few games and he is a good player. Will get smashed on the training track and will have to earn it to play NRL.

SKD - he needs a change and we need a centre. Makes sense.

Lafai - Has talent and is in our weakest position. Would be a good get.

FFL - Hot and cold player. Not likley to make a massive difference to the side

Hodkinson - good player. Hasn't played a lot of NRL in the last couple of years. Would complement Carney well.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Frizz - if we kept him he'd be playing in NSWCup anyway because Heigno, Gal, Lewis, Wade would all be ahead of him. I guess he made a career choice, hate seeing him play well in Stain colours.

Bakuya - we may regret losing him, who knows? Is playing great at the moment.

Chad - Seemed to have a few chances to prove himself but never got going. Real shame for a local boy. Maybe we talked him up too much.

Peachey - Devestated to lose this bloke, he will be something very special. Not sure if what he was offered by us but f**k we will regret this.

Gordon, Ryan, Lewis and Heighno have all been brilliant. These blokes are all such a huge asset to our team.

J Wright - I like this guy, he is a solid defender and is finally getting the right lines now. Was shithouse at the start of the year though...

Leutele- coming along nicely, its a shame he got injured- should be in the side over Pom anyday

Tupou - has been really good this year, but really hasn't been worth what we paid for him. Anyway, happy he re signed. Good to se him stick around.

Rumours
SKD- no thanks

Hodkinson- what would we do with him? NSW cup?

shaggs

Coach
He is cb.

Glenmore if we got hodkinson, the player in nsw cup will be de gois.

He is done. Robson to 9 and Morris if needed in 14 till jeff can play 80. Lichaa getting spurts here and there.

DJDL

Bench
He is cb.

He is done. Robson to 9 and Morris if needed in 14 till jeff can play 80. Lichaa getting spurts here and there.

Happy days

Card Shark

Immortal
Can't see Des letting go of hodkinson without a fight.

Something about him I don't like anyway - I think it's because he reminds me too much of Noddy!

cb4

First Grade
He is cb.

Jesus Christ!

Would take a fair effort to get him here. I am cool with him coming, and paying an inform play maker what he is worth.

Kicking game is coming along nicely, and he is a more than handy goal kicker.

De Gois is being shopped around. Parra and canberra.

shaggs

Coach
Can't see Des letting go of hodkinson without a fight.

Something about him I don't like anyway - I think it's because he reminds me too much of Noddy!

Inside Todd that would work. Someone with a better kick than robson to take 5th tackle pressure off.
The reason why niddy didn't work was because he had to be the director, the kicker, te ball player, and the kick chaser. Too many jobs and he ended up doing all poorly, rather than concentrating on his strength which was kicking and chasing, defence and directing. Hodkinson will alleviate this pressure on Todd with the hope it causes an increase in todd's running game.

webShark

Happy days

Reality check.

Which player with ambition will sign to come here before the ASADA investigation is complete? Anyone would surely would want to know what they are letting themselves in for. So far we are minus CT,Peach and Bakuya with no new confirmed additions I know of.

To maintain the status quo we need a half as good as CT, a backrower equal to Bakuya and a youngster with as much potential as Peach. All for the same as their current salary. Writing this down brings it home. Should have made massive effort to keep all 3. Should have signed Peach on a long term contract when playing well in Toyota Cup. Probably end up with Parra back row nuffies not wanted by the spooners.

cb4

First Grade
Penani is as good as Chad.

Sopoaga has the same potential as Bukuya, only cheaper.

Peachey is the tough one, Massima will be the next prospect, unless we grab one.

webShark

Penani is as good as Chad.

Sopoaga has the same potential as Bukuya, only cheaper.

Peachey is the tough one, Massima will be the next prospect, unless we grab one.

Penani is not as good as Chad. Sopoaga is talked up but not done much, that is why he is cheaper. Peachey no one remotely close and Massima is a back rower and look what happens to young ones with potential here. Nothing in the 20's , we are last. NSW Cup top with help from Storm and Peach (say no more). About 6 Stork reggies have played first grade this year for the Storm. No wonder we are going well. Our members are the likes of Matt Wright,Stapo,Mills,CT and Peach. Well the best 2 are leaving. Gigot has some promise but doubt will replace Robbo. Moroko no better than Luke Pickerd who is now playing A Grade.

Fyi

The mail is that Eric Grothe Jr is playing for De La in A Grade this weekend. Not too fit at present is the rumour.

newman

First Grade
Correct about Eric Grothe. Dykesy will most probably have a run with them at some point too.

Scott Porter has been sniffing around A grade at the black cats.

cb4

First Grade
Penani is equal to Chad, they have both achieved the same. A junior rep for their respective country, both stuck in reserve grade. The fact the coaching staff are battling to retain Penani and are willing to let Chad go gives you an indication on where they are going for the back up half.

Bukuya is talked up alot, but is a run of the mill back rower. We get excited by him at the fact he is a line runner, and runs well of Carney.

I bet you that when he plays first grade you will be as stoked with him as you were with Friz.

Replacing Peach will be the hardest, as I indicated, there aren't too many potential players with 2 first grade games under their belt that we can throw 300k at.

webShark

Correct about Eric Grothe. Dykesy will most probably have a run with them at some point too.

Scott Porter has been sniffing around A grade at the black cats.

Heard the same about Dykesy Scott Porter makes sense but their current HB goes well.
Carl Webb to De La rumour has been denied. Thank God. Wouldn't want to face him in park football.

Latest posts