What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Star Belgrade plan to enter League One in coming years

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Heading for a Super 16 style multi-continent comp here. No good, the english clubs can't and won't support it. Stop, turn around.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Would be massive for the game, the biggest thing holding Serbia back from having more integration with the pro game has always been UK immigration laws which are pretty tough on them as an Eastern European non-EU country. I guess things might change pending Brexit?
Heading for a Super 16 style multi-continent comp here. No good, the english clubs can't and won't support it. Stop, turn around.
Plenty of the current British League 1 teams are deadwood. They have cut two for next year and could probably scratch a couple more which seem to be going nowhere, or we could be looking at a League 2 in the coming years which would probably be more suitable for some of the current clubs as well as others looking to enter as expansion teams. We would only need 6 more pro teams to make that a reality IMO.

Dakink

Bench
Was wondering if league 2 was a viable option EH.

Will broaden the game in Europe but will also increase the value of the game in England.

Only downside is the effect this might have on domestic comps when teams enter the English league structure.

adamkungl

Immortal
I still think they should just have a top to bottom pyramid instead of a glass ceiling under League One.
Minimum criteria on each level to prevent promotion by teams not ready or not willing to compete at a higher level.

siv

First Grade
So how if they join whats happens to the teams at the bottom.of the English 3rd division?

Is one of them booted out ?

You cant just keep adding teams to competitions

These minor teams dont have the money to fly to Serbia, France, Canada and New York every week

Something has to give

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Was wondering if league 2 was a viable option EH.

Will broaden the game in Europe but will also increase the value of the game in England.

Only downside is the effect this might have on domestic comps when teams enter the English league structure.

I have thought about this, at some point in the near future - SuperLeague will have to divorce itself from the English system.

England can still have its domestic system with two divisions but SuperLeague would become an international club tournament, for example:

SuperLeague:
9 strong English clubs plus
Catalans
Toulouse
Toronto

SuperLeague 2 (for aspiring clubs that meet minimum commercial criteria like the new North American Franchises, Red Star, any additional French clubs that want to join, possibly the Welsh clubs plus open to bids from any RLEF member nation.

Other than the 9 English clubs in the SL the rest play in the English domestic system but ambitious clubs can apply to SL 2.

Straight P&R between the two divisions

Pommy

Coach
I have thought about this, at some point in the near future - SuperLeague will have to divorce itself from the English system.

The SL doesnt have to do anything, I don’t think foreigners understand that P and R isn’t seen as a nice thing to have in England but as a very basic foundation of how sport is supposed to run.
We can talk on here about how to expand the game but the reality is the SLs customers are almost exclusively located along the M62. You can bring in new sides but if it looks like they are losing more customers than they are gaining it will soon stop. The people in charge will not look towards the potential customers they could gain in the future as RL isnt run like that.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The SL doesnt have to do anything, I don’t think foreigners understand that P and R isn’t seen as a nice thing to have in England but as a very basic foundation of how sport is supposed to run.
We can talk on here about how to expand the game but the reality is the SLs customers are almost exclusively located along the M62. You can bring in new sides but if it looks like they are losing more customers than they are gaining it will soon stop. The people in charge will not look towards the potential customers they could gain in the future as RL isnt run like that.

I kind of meant that if Eric Perez floods the SL system with North American teams as he plans to do. If there are 5 or 6 North American clubs in the system, change will not be an option.

Pommy

Coach
I kind of meant that if Eric Perez floods the SL system with North American teams as he plans to do. If there are 5 or 6 North American clubs in the system, change will not be an option.

If there’s 6 teams from NA at that point they probably need to start looking at their own league.

Stallion

First Grade

Simple with some thought. Have two conferences that can grow in number as clubs increase. Does not have to be just 16 teams. More the merrier. The game deserves a wider presence.

Latest posts