What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Williams Legal Action

Stake Removed

First Grade
https://outline.com/KaCxAG

Former Cronulla star Reece Williams has launched legal action against club’s medical staff over treatment of his head injuries
MARCH 17, 2018NINE years after retiring from the NRL, former Cronulla Sharks star Reece Williams has launched legal action against the club’s medical staff over the treatment of his head injuries.

It’s a case that could have far-reaching effects on sports doctors making medical assessments if there is a risk of athletes going down a legal path. Williams is taking action against the medical staff, not the club or the NRL.

Legal papers have been served on the Sharks’ highly-respected former doctor Dave Givney, who declined to comment when approached by The Sunday Telegraph.

WHAT’S THE BUZZ: Saint, sinner, shoosh

Reece Williams in hospital following the incident in 2009.
Williams played 98 games for the Sharks before being forced into early retirement at 25.

“I’m shattered to have made this decision,” he said at the time. “But I had no other choice under the doctor’s advice. The last few months have been very hard to take.”

Williams now works for the NRL as a strength and conditioning coach for the referees.

He would not comment when contacted and refused to say if he was still suffering from the effects of old head injuries.

In 2009, Williams was admitted to St Vincent’s Private Hospital where doctors found a blood clot on his brain.

Williams’ case could be landmark for the game.
Dr Givney was quoted at the time saying: “I’ve never seen a concussion like this one. Playing footy again is the least of his worries right now.”

However, The Sunday Telegraph understands Williams will claim he was once told to take Panadol when he complained of headaches before the game.

It’s understood to have been prior to a NSW Cup game when Dr Givney was not present.

" style="color: rgb(68, 68, 67); font-family: "Adobe Garamond Pro", Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", "Droid Sans", "Helvetica Neue", "PingFang SC", "Hiragino Sans GB", "Droid Sans Fallback", "Microsoft YaHei", sans-serif, sans-serif; font-size: 22px; font-variant-ligatures: common-ligatures;">
NINE years after retiring from the NRL, former Cronulla Sharks star Reece Williams has launched legal action against the club’s medical staff over the treatment of his head injuries.

It’s a case that could have far-reaching effects on sports doctors making medical assessments if there is a risk of athletes going down a legal path. Williams is taking action against the medical staff, not the club or the NRL.

Legal papers have been served on the Sharks’ highly-respected former doctor Dave Givney, who declined to comment when approached by The Sunday Telegraph.

WHAT’S THE BUZZ: Saint, sinner, shoosh

Reece Williams in hospital following the incident in 2009.
Williams played 98 games for the Sharks before being forced into early retirement at 25.

“I’m shattered to have made this decision,” he said at the time. “But I had no other choice under the doctor’s advice. The last few months have been very hard to take.”

Williams now works for the NRL as a strength and conditioning coach for the referees.

He would not comment when contacted and refused to say if he was still suffering from the effects of old head injuries.

In 2009, Williams was admitted to St Vincent’s Private Hospital where doctors found a blood clot on his brain.

chewsta

First Grade
I liked Wombat, met him a few times through mutual friends and he was always a nice humble fella. I hope he isnt suffering any long term effects of his injuries. He copped some nasty knocks in his time with us. Good luck to him.

Eion

First Grade
They should be. Seemed pretty obvious to me even though duges is pretending it was his neck. They’ve been pretty consistent in pulling other players off Wade etc, so don’t know how they missed it. Imagine they will face a fine.

Stake Removed

First Grade
I was under impression, heard it said in round 1, if a pla
yer is motionless for more then 1 second HIA, thats why players dont stay down for penalty, Dugan was always moving and holding neck

Frenzy.

Immortal
They should be. Seemed pretty obvious to me even though duges is pretending it was his neck. They’ve been pretty consistent in pulling other players off Wade etc, so don’t know how they missed it. Imagine they will face a fine.

Well, medical staff should know you can be concussed from a neck injury and ignore players claiming its their neck not their head.

Coup and contrecoup injuries.

Eion

First Grade
There’s a bunch of criteria and I think balance disturbance is one. Duges looked wobbly to me

Latest posts