What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing inconsistencies

Gareth67

First Grade
2 very bad calls from the bunker over the weekend , the eels try against the broncs disallowed and now yesterday’s penalty goal .

It is such a shame that there is a captain’s-challenge at all . To me it simply should not be in the game of rugby league , cheapens the game .

The bunker has its advantages with the numerous camera angles however the people should not be allowed to adjudicate the game itself . The final decision must rest solely with the referee - imo .

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
To me the penalty call was 50/50. The Tiger player moved towards Feldt's line to some degree. Feldt tried to make it look worse. A very difficult call for Klein without being sure of the Tiger's motive. The ref did not make the penalty call so perhaps Klein would have been on stronger ground if he argued insufficient evidence to over rule the ref. Then there would be howls of protests from the Cowboys! From what I have read here the comment that appeals to me most was from R&W TILLIDIE:

that tigers player made a bone head play
All that was required was to surround any Cowboys' player and bury him, with a few Tigers waiting in case of a Cowboys' tap back. Easy one tackle and the game was the Tigers.

qld redvee

Juniors
I dont know if im totally correct but Im sure i saw on one game on the weekend the bunker got involved an "alerted' the ref that there had been an indescretion a few tackles prior so play was stopped and returned upfield for a penalty .. Now this had been missed by all and sundry so couldnt have been "noteworthy" yet bunker jumped in ... been a while since that happened ..
also have you noticed how some tries get confirmed before a second viewing whilst others are screened over and over .. I am over frame by frame play it at half speed and make a determination we have to get rid of this csi style

dannyt

Coach
I dont know if im totally correct but Im sure i saw on one game on the weekend the bunker got involved an "alerted' the ref that there had been an indescretion a few tackles prior so play was stopped and returned upfield for a penalty .. Now this had been missed by all and sundry so couldnt have been "noteworthy" yet bunker jumped in ... been a while since that happened ..
also have you noticed how some tries get confirmed before a second viewing whilst others are screened over and over .. I am over frame by frame play it at half speed and make a determination we have to get rid of this csi style
I don't recall the incident to which you refer, but it is unusual for a penalty to be awarded these days. They usually end up "no penalty" but player on report.

I've noticed most of tries get scrutinised to the nth degree...

TruSaint

Referee
To me the penalty call was 50/50. The Tiger player moved towards Feldt's line to some degree. Feldt tried to make it look worse. A very difficult call for Klein without being sure of the Tiger's motive. The ref did not make the penalty call so perhaps Klein would have been on stronger ground if he argued insufficient evidence to over rule the ref. Then there would be howls of protests from the Cowboys! From what I have read here the comment that appeals to me most was from R&W TILLIDIE:

that tigers player made a bone head play
All that was required was to surround any Cowboys' player and bury him, with a few Tigers waiting in case of a Cowboys' tap back. Easy one tackle and the game was the Tigers.

Here's the problem mate.

Based on the farcical nature at the end of this game, with second/s remaining, a Captain can call for a challenge based on anything.

The penalty shouldn't be the issue at hand. It's the fact that the Cows had the ability to challenge a call that never happened . The ref had the f**king whistle blown. Game over.

Trifili13

Juniors
Todd Payten earlier in the season was up in arms about lesser teams gettiing shafted. He had a great opportunity to gain credibility yesterday by saying we should not have won as the officials made a wrong call, yet all he said (in case I am wrong) is you win some you loose some and we got the call today. Suits him now that the Cows are top 4. I can't imagine he would have the same response if he lost the GF on the same call.

Old Timer

Coach
It is a very sad state of affairs when the very thing you create to stop howlers disadvantaging teams actually disadvantages teams by making howlers itself.

To top it off a try can be scored of a blatant forward pass but the bunker can't rule on that which is most obvious but can look for every other minute indiscretion that may prevent the try being awarded but stiff shit if there is no minute indiscretion and apparently the blatant forward pass didn't happen.

BLM01

First Grade
So, having a look at the replay again several times, I believe the Tigers player did not go straight to the ball and came in a bit and took Kyle Feldt out (who did his absolute best to let the ref know he had been taken out). however, under the current rules, a challenge can only be taken if there is a stop in play. The bunker is not permitted to step in and let the ref know there might be an incorrect call made by the ref. In conclusion, I think it was a penalty (that tigers player made a bone head play) but the bunker is not allowed to step in. Therefore, the Tigers got dudded. If it can happen to the tigers, you can bet your house that it can happen (and has happened before) to the lesser teams in the comp like us. The corrupt officials need to be stamped out of the game. I have no problem for the bunker to step in on an incorrect rule made by the ref. But this has to apply to all games, not just when the officials pick and choose. Rant over.
Based on the rule yesterday and what Annesley has dribbled today if Canberra had a challenge left in our game they could of done the same about Ben Hunt being offside
The game has lost it all in the quest to think all decisions will be basically right.
Get rid of the captains challenge or you only get 1 challenge regardless of the outcome

redv13

Bench
This great game just continues to run itself into the ground with all these rule changes. It’s a f**king joke. Can’t tackle hard, half backs going deep into the line before passing yet if they are hit, even legally, half a second after the pass then it’s a penalty. Some refs bin players, some don’t.

Captains challenge is a joke, some bunker refs get involved, some don’t. Players like Olam, Kaufusi and NAS get away with murder week after week yet Ravalawa, Sims, Su’a, McGuire get their nuts ripped off and I’m sure there’s other teams that are targeted.

There is zero consistency game to game let alone week to week. Some refs smash the 6 agains, some don’t, most games are so fast they may as well play touch footy. And don’t get me started on origin cause that’s a whole different beast. Did Gagai and Burton get suspended?? If that was a club game I’m sure there would have been striking charges attached by the MRC

Gareth67

First Grade
This great game just continues to run itself into the ground with all these rule changes. It’s a f**king joke. Can’t tackle hard, half backs going deep into the line before passing yet if they are hit, even legally, half a second after the pass then it’s a penalty. Some refs bin players, some don’t.

Captains challenge is a joke, some bunker refs get involved, some don’t. Players like Olam, Kaufusi and NAS get away with murder week after week yet Ravalawa, Sims, Su’a, McGuire get their nuts ripped off and I’m sure there’s other teams that are targeted.

There is zero consistency game to game let alone week to week. Some refs smash the 6 agains, some don’t, most games are so fast they may as well play touch footy. And don’t get me started on origin cause that’s a whole different beast. Did Gagai and Burton get suspended?? If that was a club game I’m sure there would have been striking charges attached by the MRC
The changes to the game were never needed , as I have said in the past it almost appears that they are there to make better viewing for the tele audiences and in turn to satisfy the media moguls that more or less control the game nowadays .

The Greatest game of All has well and truly lost its shine due to the insatiable appetites of those same Media moguls who shall continue along their merry way until the day that the NRL has a man who truly has our game in his heart .

Trifili13

Juniors
While I don't mind the captain's challenge, i hate how they retain it if the bunker has an inconclusive finding. To me you didn't overturn the refs call so you loose your challenge.

Trifili13

Juniors
The changes to the game were never needed , as I have said in the past it almost appears that they are there to make better viewing for the tele audiences and in turn to satisfy the media moguls that more or less control the game nowadays .

The Greatest game of All has well and truly lost its shine due to the insatiable appetites of those same Media moguls who shall continue along their merry way until the day that the NRL has a man who truly has our game in his heart .
Totally agree G67. If they simply applied the rules as written the game would not be in the mess it is now. Why should a player gain an advantage for a "dominant" tackle, yet a player that makes a copybook covering tackle has to release immediately? Where in the rule book does it mention a "dominant" tackle that the refs call all the time? And don't get me started with players flopping on the ground for voluntary tackles. Always has been a penalty yet these days you can just get up and play the ball. Doesn't the rule book say you need to rake the ball back with your foot when playing the ball? Players seem to be able to do it when there is 1 minute left to play to waste time yet can't manage it for the other 79 minutes.

Gareth67

First Grade
Totally agree G67. If they simply applied the rules as written the game would not be in the mess it is now. Why should a player gain an advantage for a "dominant" tackle, yet a player that makes a copybook covering tackle has to release immediately? Where in the rule book does it mention a "dominant" tackle that the refs call all the time? And don't get me started with players flopping on the ground for voluntary tackles. Always has been a penalty yet these days you can just get up and play the ball. Doesn't the rule book say you need to rake the ball back with your foot when playing the ball? Players seem to be able to do it when there is 1 minute left to play to waste time yet can't manage it for the other 79 minutes.
I hate to say it buddy , however the rule book was thrown out the window once the big-wigs of the NRL - who had very little grounding in the game itself - appeared on the scene .

BLM01

First Grade
I'm OK with the explanation given by Annesley in terms of why the challenge was allowed. I also agree with that it should not have been a penalty.
I more peeved that the clock should of wound down before Cows got another chance
Looking at the clock before Douehi even kicked the ball and still lining up the kick the ref stopped it at 79.55
How the hell did they have time for another play?
I think the broadcasters and NRL know the answer

Last edited:

Tim.butler

Juniors
I more peeved that the clock should of wound down before Cows got another chance
Looking at the clock before Douehi even kicked the ball and still lining up the kick the ref stopped it at 79.55
Spot on BLM01. The footage shows Doueihi deliberately try and wind the clock down, which he is entitled to do. He waits till the clock is stopped before he looks to commence his run up. Here is the big question for me. The clock did not restart when he started his run up but when he actually kicks the ball. I’m not sure what the rule is here but if the clock should have restarted when he commenced his run up the clock would have reached 80.00 minutes. Game over.

dannyt

Coach
Yes. That was strange. I've also had the opportunity to view the full Annesley interview, and now I'm less convinced.

HenryTatana

Juniors
Watched Annessley’s presser yesterday. His previous experience as a politician, not former referee, played out very well.

To save face he calls the challenge acceptable under the rules, but the decision by the video ref wrong.

What he has done now is open up a Pandora’s box. It now means that at the last tackle of each game is a stop in play that allows the captain to make a challenge request, assuming they still have one. Where we we have games with 6 points between teams, we will now have challenges for the sake of challenges.
Scenario 1
Team with ball and 6 or less points behind will challenge that on the final tackle, the defending team were offside. As long as they give a reason the bunker must look at everything. Bunker identifies marker not square and not the offside (reason for challenge) as happened to dragons on Friday night with Garrick in touch challenge. Result penalty.
Scenario 2
Team behind get a penalty to level/win game, same as Cowboys on Sunday. Holmes misses goal. Hence break in play. Ref hasn’t blown full time and Cows challenge. Challenge reason being the tigers players weren’t still during the kick, hence putting Holmes off. Under the letter of the law challenge should be upheld and Holmes gets another kick.
Scenario 3
Golden point. Team misses field goal. Break in play. Challenge players offside. We know refs put the whistle away during golden point. Bunker must rule penalty.
Scenario 4
Golden point. Team gets field goal. Losing team challenges as ref hasn’t blown full time yet. Challenge players impeded into getting to the kicker.

I’m sure there are more scenarios but the NRL have now painted themselves in a corner. What a f**king joke.

We can no longer celebrate tries in real time because the bunker has to sign off on them and now we don’t know the result at full time until the bunker reviews.

FFS give me my game back. Mr Vlandys get off your arse and intervene now before it’s too late.

Latest posts