What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referee's

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Im sure this has been discussed before but please humor me
When a referee is not certain as to whether a try has been scored why does he have to either make the T sign with his hands or cross his arms across his chest....if hes going to the bunker to make the final decision then surely all he has to do is ask instead of indicating what he thinks.....by him indicating for example a try then imo the bunker in most situations tend to go the refs way as they are showing that they the refs are proved correct instead of highlighting they made an error.......would be interesting to see the percentages of when the bunker has overturned a refs decision.........let me add my interest in this is not just based on todays poor refereeing decisions because we played rubbish and didnt deserve to win

thebigredv

First Grade
Im sure this has been discussed before but please humor me
When a referee is not certain as to whether a try has been scored why does he have to either make the T sign with his hands or cross his arms across his chest....if hes going to the bunker to make the final decision then surely all he has to do is ask instead of indicating what he thinks.....by him indicating for example a try then imo the bunker in most situations tend to go the refs way as they are showing that they the refs are proved correct instead of highlighting they made an error.......would be interesting to see the percentages of when the bunker has overturned a refs decision.........let me add my interest in this is not just based on todays poor refereeing decisions because we played rubbish and didnt deserve to win

It's a good question. If you remember before the bunker it used to be they'd just send it up without their input and it'd come back as 'ref's call'. after today's game I think the old way made more sense but the decision would have been born out of some complaint someone like Phil Gould made. a more interesting stat would be to see how often on field refs judge in favour of home teams when they have no idea.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
It's a good question. If you remember before the bunker it used to be they'd just send it up without their input and it'd come back as 'ref's call'. after today's game I think the old way made more sense but the decision would have been born out of some complaint someone like Phil Gould made. a more interesting stat would be to see how often on field refs judge in favour of home teams when they have no idea.
Yeah but at least the old way there was no influence on the adjudicator to agree with the ref.....I would like a stat on how many times linesmen let forward passes go when their right in line...particularly when its the home team.....would like to know if the linesmen are locals or if they just travel around to games with the refs

thebigredv

First Grade
Yeah but at least the old way there was no influence on the adjudicator to agree with the ref.....I would like a stat on how many times linesmen let forward passes go when their right in line...particularly when its the home team.....would like to know if the linesmen are locals or if they just travel around to games with the refs

The linesmen have become redundant in any case. They can't seem to keep up. This is my assumption based on the fact they never catch any of the forward passes, especially for home sides.

Both McGregor and Widdop were fuming with that final call that went over the sideline. How many millions of dollars and you can't even get it right on the second inspection.

blacksafake

First Grade
Unfortunately refs don't ref anymore they "manage " games now. Rules are interpreted "not " enforced. They are more concerned with being everybody's buddie. Coaching players rather than enforcing rules.
Get off cam, lock in Sam, stay out Paul. It Effing drives me crazy. If they don't get up, lock in or stay out EFFING penalise them as per the rules.
I remember being reffed by Jack Danzey etc and they demanded respect, you were too scared to get on their wrong side.

1st & 10

Juniors
The men with whistles are no longer referees, they are conductors orchestrating the game with running commentary. They ignore the laws of the game especially the ruck (is disgraceful)

Then the reluctance to show authority in a game via sin bin/send offs

Then the mates attitude with the players, calling them out, telling them how to play etc by using their names not their number

Life's Good

Coach
I'm with you on the referees c*cking things up. They aren't up to scratch, not just this game but in general.

More line breaks, better field position, easy metres, poor opposition defence - we had this all and absolutely squandered it. The blowtorch should be on the coach/backs & anything less is a free pass to them which they do not deserve after that effort(or lack thereof). They should wash the cars and clean the houses of the forwards in apology for losing that.

Last edited:

Dragons22

Juniors
Yeah we had no luck today whatsoever. You can't entirely blame the refs but they were shocking, I generally thought Badger was an okay referee but he's a shocker now, and Klein and Patten in the bunker are pathetic, Levi milked two penalties today, one from passing into our guy who was lying on the floor, and the other for tripping over one of our players on purpose! The refs gave all the calls to Newcastle, we blamed like crap but they didn't help us at all!

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yeah we had no luck today whatsoever. You can't entirely blame the refs but they were shocking, I generally thought Badger was an okay referee but he's a shocker now, and Klein and Patten in the bunker are pathetic, Levi milked two penalties today, one from passing into our guy who was lying on the floor, and the other for tripping over one of our players on purpose! The refs gave all the calls to Newcastle, we blamed like crap but they didn't help us at all!
Yes your right but whats annoying to me is it was obvious we copped some crap calls today and should have won but we played so poorly along with it if we start blaming the refs then we are considered poor losers, as making those bad calls as our excuse for losing

lol no they lost the game with ill discipline and flat out stupidity.

The amount of stupid mistakes is staggering only completing 62% of sets isn't good enough.

Time to stop blaming the offficals and start taking some responsiblity.

The players are a bunch of dumb wankers.

rasaint

Juniors
I must say I saw an interesting one with SKD ; actually punched the ball forward deliberately over Nightingale's head and regathered. Has the rules changed? Maybe bunker ruled SKD accidentally punched forward.

Good luck Knights it was your turn for the ref's rub tonight

Red V for life

Juniors
I've resisted posting hoping the rage would subside, but it hasn't :rage:

I fully agree with comments in other threads about our pi$$ poor performance yesterday. Ultimately, we had enough opportunities to win that game and didn't.

If watching the Dragons floundering from one season to the next isn't enough to destroy my love for the game, then the standard of refereeing just might be.

It is a fact we copped the wrong end of the stick yesterday and it happens. Oh, how I crave for the attitude shown in adversity during the Bennett years led by hardnuts like Smith, Costigan and Scott.

The standard of refereeing has been diabolical for years and was perfectly illustrated yesterday.

Leaving aside the "no tries" the Levi penalties in the ruck really got me. Seriously, look at where his eyes were compared to where he passed the ball...if it wasn't deliberate, then the boy had some serious hand-eye coordination issues and should've been off for a head injury assessment!

A ref called milking the first time and after an eternity gave a penalty telling a raging JDB the he had no choice before refusing to engage JDB on the second penalty as he wasn't Captain.

He does, however, have a choice and there have been examples of refs calling players bluff on such plays as recently as THIS season!

Then the Bunker...fmd. I'm going to have to visit OPSM on Monday. I do not understand how they reach most of their conclusions. At least they named that abomination correctly. They must've known it'd come in for some heavy and constant attack.

Anyway, rant over.

Last edited:

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
If we were good enough we would have won. What you need to look at is the difference in pressers between MacGregor and Nathan Brown. Our coach looks for every excuse including the officials. How many times have the Knights been gutted by refs this season and yet Brown refuses to blame them and admits his team shouldn't have been in the position to lose. Mary's glass is always half empty. The refs effect every game get used to it.

jeffdragon

Bench
I've resisted posting hoping the rage would subside, but it hasn't :rage:

I fully agree with comments in other threads about our pi$$ poor performance yesterday. Ultimately, we had enough opportunities to win that game and didn't.

If watching the Dragons floundering from one season to the next isn't enough to destroy my love for the game, then the standard of refereeing just might be.

It is a fact we copped the wrong end of the stick yesterday and it happens. Oh, how I crave for the attitude shown in adversity during the Bennett years lead by hardnuts like Smith, Costigan and Scott.

The standard of refereeing has been diabolical for years and was perfectly illustrated yesterday.

Leaving aside the "no tries" the Levi penalties in the ruck really got me. Seriously, look at where his eyes were compared to where he passed the ball...if it wasn't deliberate, then the boy had some serious hand-eye coordination issues and should've been off for a head injury assessment!

A ref called milking the first time and after an eternity gave a penalty telling a raging JDB the he had no choice before refusing to engage JDB on the second penalty as he wasn't Captain.

He does, however, have a choice and there have been examples of refs calling players bluff on such plays as recently as THIS season!

Then the Bunker...fmd. I'm going to have to visit OPSM on Monday. I do not understand how they reach most of their conclusions. At least they named that abomination correctly. They must've known it'd come in for some heavy and constant attack.

Anyway, rant over.

Yes a few weeks ago robbie farah tried the same thing and the refs called play on
Knights were offside consistently
Lafais try was a try for all the tea in china

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
lol no they lost the game with ill discipline and flat out stupidity.

The amount of stupid mistakes is staggering only completing 62% of sets isn't good enough.

Time to stop blaming the offficals and start taking some responsiblity.

The players are a bunch of dumb wankers.
Yes we are a bunch of dumb wankers and we are guilty of not completing and yes looked like a bunch of headless chooks running around and yes we should start to take responsibility for our poor performance of late I agree will all youve stated....we can take into consideration ALL of the above BUT the referees were well below par yesterday and cost us the game......in other words we can still be guilty of all youve highlighted and still come away with the 2 points

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Unfortunately refs don't ref anymore they "manage " games now. Rules are interpreted "not " enforced. They are more concerned with being everybody's buddie. Coaching players rather than enforcing rules.
Get off cam, lock in Sam, stay out Paul. It Effing drives me crazy. If they don't get up, lock in or stay out EFFING penalise them as per the rules.
I remember being reffed by Jack Danzey etc and they demanded respect, you were too scared to get on their wrong side.
Yep your spot on mate.....let them the players make the mistakes and then enforce the rules.......makes me laugh 2 referees were cited last round by Archer as making errors (I think one was Sutton) so what did they do instead of dropping them for a round or two they banished them to the bunker where they had the opportunity to make more mistakes....as I said laughable