What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Parra

Referee
Even though was older when these came out in the 90's, To The Manor Born, As Time Goes By and Keeping Up Appearances were absolutely priceless, no one could do comedy like the British.

To The Manor Born with Penelope Keith and Peter Bowles
As Time Goes By - Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer
Keeping Up Appearances- enough said, fantastic cast all round.
All on constant rotation on fox

C7C7DD08-1A93-483A-9748-060A4DC1C6C4.jpeg

Probably my favourite.

The scene where our heroes above are watching the TV news after a long day at work and it shows the king of Saudi Arabia arriving in the Uk and the serious commentary is that it is for a critically important high level government meeting.

Hacker looking surprised says to Sir Humphrey:

“ Oh that’s big news, I didn’t know the king was coming, who is he here to see?

Sir Humphrey replies in his usual dry manner:

“ Actually it’s you Minister!”

And Jim mouth open looks astounded.

Words to that effect anyway. Brilliantly written and performed, many double dissolutions of the English language!

Love her or hate her, Thatchers favourite tv show.

Last edited:

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
View attachment 24457

Christmas morning was reserved for listening to the 12th Man.

If there was a new one released that year, it was a must purchase and you wouldn’t “spoil” it by listening to it earlier. As soon as the last present was opened, out came the boom-box and gut-busting laughs ensued. Followed by an encore after lunch.

“...Rubbish Binni was left out by the selectors last night...” still a personal favourite and a “go-to” of mine. :relaxed:

Then a rousing game of Test Match.

We ended painting our fielders in one-day colours. The blokes crouching at silly-mid Australian (Boon + moustache) and West Indian for Gus Logie.

The Bowler, Big Merv (plus moustache of course)

One outfielder was painted as England and was Phil “Toofers” Tufnell. Whenever the ball hit him and he fell over, the place erupted in laughs.

View attachment 24458
That's what I did except I had the fielders painted in yellow for Australia and the batsman in blue for England.

Hey @horrie hastings I watched your clips of Are You Being Served and had to suck in a few episodes on the Youtube!

# Man About The House
#Robins Nest
# George and Mildred ( Yootha Joyce)
# On the Buses
#Love Thy Neighbour
# Butterflies
#It Aint Half Hot mum
# Porridge
# Dave Allen
#Parkinson
#Pink Panther
#Monty Python

And f**king Hey Dad turned into a kiddy fiddler, I never liked him, always preferred Betty.

Old school British comedy shits on the rubbish produced today. I loved Yes Minister, but the king of them all has to be Fawlty Towers. I cant believe it hadn't had a mention yet. John Cleese is a genius.

In its own league Socky.

My late dad had lunch with John Clease and some friends once and said he was a very nice person. No jokes or anything. Polite and happy person in the flesh.

soc123_au

Staff member
In its own league Socky.

My late dad had lunch with John Clease and some friends once and said he was a very nice person. No jokes or anything. Polite and happy person in the flesh.
That would have been a thrill for your old man. I would have sat there like a starry eyed teenager.

That would have been a thrill for your old man. I would have sat there like a starry eyed teenager.

Yes, me too. It was thru a former student of dads that knew Cleese personally. First and last time Dad met him, but dad was English and liked the sending up of the upper crust Clease was/is merciless in lampooning.

So everyone was on the same page.

Dad said he was a good listener, joined in rather than dominated discussion. None of the “ don’t you know who i am?” issues. Not a skerrick.

Nothing to prove or impress people with. Chilled and relaxed.

I’d be hanging for a silly walk or chastisement of the waiter from Barcelona!

I did know a pretty indigenous lady who got Cliffy Lyons to sign one of her bum cheeks with a texta during one of those country town ambassador frolics in the early 2000s.

Cliff had a quiet beer and told stories and stuff at the tattersalls hotel. Another man of the people. I’d love to meet him. People made a circle and let him tell footy and personal tales. It went until late, but apparently Cliffy held his own, a gentleman when all around him were getting blind!

My life is full of missed brushes with fame, just hopeless!

Last edited:
@soc123_au , a special mention to the mighty Blackadder.

That wonderful scene where the Blackadder visits a 16th doctor who recommends a leech when he thinks he’s turning gay. Blackadder complains Leeches for everything!

The Blackadder mentions the leeches and the doctor asks if he’s a “ medical man” ffs!

It’s up on the you tube.

The writing was wonderful, with openly gay writers and actors taking the total piss out of the stereotypes.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
@soc123_au , a special mention to the mighty Blackadder.

That wonderful scene where the Blackadder visits a 16th doctor who recommends a leech when he thinks he’s turning gay. Blackadder complains Leeches for everything!

The Blackadder mentions the leeches and the doctor asks if he’s a “ medical man” ffs!

It’s up on the you tube.

The writing was wonderful, with openly gay writers and actors taking the total piss out of the stereotypes.
Blackadder is only a bees dick behind Fawlty Towers imo. The 1st series is my favourite with the ep where Edmund is forced to become the Arch Bishop of Canterbury is the pick of the litter. I still piss myself every time I see Blackadder trying to convince the dying Lord that Hell is better than Heaven.

Every series is brilliant though. Hugh Laurie as Prince George in the third series is a riot.

Yorrick Hunt

Juniors
Old school British comedy shits on the rubbish produced today. I loved Yes Minister, but the king of them all has to be Fawlty Towers. I cant believe it hadn't had a mention yet. John Cleese is a genius.
A few others I haven't seen mentioned...

Minder
Dad's Army
Mind Your Language
The Good Life
'Allo 'Allo
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
Ripping Yarns

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
For a modern take on a British style comedy, there is a very good show on Stan call "Trollied".

Barker (to young hottie): "Tickle your arse with a feather".

Young Hottie: "I beg your pardon?"

Barker: "Particularly nasty weather".

Absolute classic!

Lol at this Cmon Aussie Cmon cricket as from 1980/81.

Having to explain who the Indians and are, and noting how hard it was to pronounce the names. No wonder The Twelfth Man got away with so much, for so long.

Changed world now with India and playing them every two years.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Lol at this Cmon Aussie Cmon cricket as from 1980/81.

Having to explain who the Indians and are, and noting how hard it was to pronounce the names. No wonder The Twelfth Man got away with so much, for so long.

Changed world now with India and playing them every two years.

Oh dear, the Goodness, Gracious Me bit would not be allowed these days, made me cringe a bit just hearing it now, was such a different world back then.

Latest posts