What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Representative Round

LINESPEED

Juniors
So Nightingale will most likely be recalled to first grade. lol

Yeah Frank - I guess if Mary's really easing Nighty out it'll be a slow process, baby steps probably - but at least something's underway, and we've learnt about patience on this Forum.

Mary would do well to listen more (perhaps at last he is?)

Some hardnosed decisions need to be made before we start losing some juniors?
Like who gets moved/moved on to fit in Lomax for starters?

I've never rated Lafai, Aitken, Nene & Nighty as a Top 4 backline - for success this year.
With poor defensive readers in the backs, and our forward LINESPEED still below par apparently, players like Cook (lol) would take us apart in a Grand Final - much like Langer did from 20m out in the 92-93 finals??
If we make the Grand Final we want to win it, not just get by and improve on last year.
And develop the real mongrel required in coaching, selection & performance??

getsmarty

Immortal
Altitude effect on Denver Test
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter, in Denver
Timestamp
Wed 20 Jun 2018, 06:01 PM

Altitude is set to have an impact in the Denver Test but not in the way some had feared, with England playmaker Gareth Widdop suggesting it may be possible to kick a 60-metre penalty goal at Mile High Stadium on Saturday (Sunday, 6am AEST).

England and New Zealand had their first training sessions since arriving in the United States on Tuesday, and Widdop and Kiwis winger Jamayne Isaako noted that they could kick the ball further than usual because of the altitude.

The Denver Broncos, who are supporting and hosting the historic Test, boast the best home record in the NFL since 1975 and use the stadium's 1609m elevation to gain a psychological advantage over opponents.

The last thing visiting teams see as they leave the away dressing room, which will be used by England, is a giant sign painted on a wall opposite the locker room door, welcoming them to Denver, the "MILE HIGH CITY, ELEVATION 5280' ABOVE SEA LEVEL".

Before they take the field, they pass another sign warning of "HIGH ALTITUDE HAZARDS" and "ALTITUDE SICKNESS" – "regardless of fitness".

denver_20180620.jpg

The England and New Zealand team medical staffs are confident this won't be an issue for their players as they have five days to acclimatise and none reported feeling any ill effects after their first training session.

However, Widdop said he expected the altitude to have an impact on goal kicking and kicking in general play if the kickers don't adapt.

"I had a few little kicks during the session and the ball travels a fair bit further so it will be interesting," Widdop said. "We will have to see how the game pans out but I have no doubt you could edge a goal over from 50m or 60m out with the altitude."

The longest field goal in NFL history - a 64-yard (58.5 metres) effort by Matt Prater - was kicked at Mile High Stadium. Three of the five longest field goals ever have been in Denver.

The longest punt in NFL history also occurred at Mile High Stadium when Steve O'Neal of the New York Jets kicked the ball 98 yards (89.6 metres) during a match in 1969.

denver.jpg

It has been estimated that a kicked ball travels about 10 percent further in Denver than the same kick would at sea level.

"It felt like the ball floated a bit more because of the altitude," Isaako said. "I will back myself from anywhere I feel comfortable kicking the ball.

"I went out there today and had a little kick around to get a feel for what Denver and the altitude is all about and I felt pretty comfortable with my kicking."

There has never been an NRL match played at altitude but England players had a training camp in South Africa before the 2013 World Cup and were based at Potchefstroom, which is 1340m above sea level.

"I did some kicking there and it was a bit the same but we didn't play a game," Widdop said. "It is going to be interesting to see what difference it makes on Saturday."

180619kiwistraining_002.jpg

The New Zealand team training in Denver. :copyright:www.photosport.nz
To accommodate concerns raised by the RLPA and NRL clubs about the altitude and summer temperatures in Denver, there will be two-minute drinks breaks midway through each half of the Test.

The Kiwis narrowly avoided a hail storm before their training session at University of Denver Soccer Field.

The seven debutants in the New Zealand team and new coach Michael Maguire stripped down to their undies at the end of the session to perform a haka for the other members of the team – a tradition for newcomers to the Kiwis.

The promotion for the Test received a boost after South Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe indicated on Twitter that he would be travelling to Denver to watch Sam and Tom Burgess play for England.

The Test will be refereed by Super League match official Ben Thaler, with Englishman Chris Kendall and New Zealand’s Chris McMillan to be the touch judges.

NRL referee Jarred Maxwell will be the video referee.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/21/altitude-effect-on-denver-test/

getsmarty

Immortal
grahanj-180616-gp-01-.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Golden Lion: Graham closes in on Test record
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter, in Denver
Timestamp
Thu 21 Jun 2018, 09:50 AM

James Graham will become the first Englishman to have a golden lion embroidered on his jersey as he closes in on the record for the most Tests by a British player when he represents England for the 40th occasion on Saturday (Sunday, 6am AEST) against New Zealand at Mile High Stadium.

England coach Wayne Bennett introduced the golden lion concept as recognition for service to the country, with those who play 20 Tests having a bronze lion on their jersey, a silver lion for 30 Tests and a golden lion for 40 Tests.

Garry Schofield and Mick Sullivan hold the record for the most Tests by a British player after each represented Great Britain 46 times and made three appearances for England but Graham's overall tally will be 45 after the Denver Test – of which 40 have been for England.

"It is quite an achievement to play his 40th Test for his country," Bennett said after confirming his 17-man squad for the Test, which includes 15 members of England's World Cup squad, with Hull utility Jake Connor and St Helens winger Tommy Makinson to make their debuts.

"For me, James epitomises what this team is about. He is whole-hearted, he gives his best and he wants to be here."

Bennett backs USA expansion

Since joining St George Illawarra this season, Graham has received accolades for encouraging the Dragons forwards to push themselves further by doing extra training and the inspirational prop has been having the same influence at England's sessions in Denver.

He spent time at the end of Wednesday's session at the University of Denver working with St Helens prop Luke Thompson, who was left out of Bennett's 17-man squad for the Test.

St George Illawarra captain Gareth Widdop, who will play alongside Jonny Lomax in the halves, paid tribute to his club and Test teammate for becoming the first player to make 40 appearances for England.

"It is a huge occasion and I am really grateful I get to run out alongside him," Widdop said. "We all know the way he plays the game and what he has done for English rugby league."

If he plays in the three-Test series against the Kiwis at the end of the season, Graham could be just one Test short of Schofield and Sullivan's overall record of 49 Tests for Great Britain and England.

grahamj-180406nh41.jpg

Dragons prop James Graham. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
Graham, who holds the record for most Tests for England, may equal their tally of overall Test appearances in 2019 at Mile High Stadium, as England and New Zealand have agreed to play in Denver for three years.

"For me, every time I get to represent my country it is always something that fills me with immense pride," Graham said of his achievement.

After steering England to their first World Cup final in 22 years last December, Bennett has retained the nucleus of the team which lost 6-0 to Australia at Suncorp Stadium and the players say the camaraderie within the squad will benefit them against the Kiwis.

"Since Wayne took over it has been one of the closest groups I have ever been a part of," Widdop said. "We have got a few new faces who have fitted in very well but it almost feels like a club team, we are all very close and enjoy each other's company which is great."

South Sydney prop Tom Burgess said the five NRL players in the England squad enjoyed the opportunity to spend time with their countrymen.

"I miss that camaraderie when you are over in Australia a little bit, with the lads you have grown up with," Burgess said. "It's just good to get around them and have a bit of banter.

England squad: John Bateman, Sam Burgess, Thomas Burgess, Jake Connor, James Graham, Ryan Hall, Chris Hill, Jonny Lomax, Tommy Makinson, Jermaine McGillvary, Sean O'Loughlin (captain), Mark Percival, Stefan Ratchford, James Roby, Scott Taylor, Elliott Whitehead, Gareth Widdop.

Isaako not expecting any favours from Bennett

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/21/golden-lion-graham-closes-in-on-test-record/

Old Timer

Coach
What a complete tosser Hayne really is
Complaining when he makes a wrong decision and claiming to be obstructed in what was clearly a fair try
To think people wanted that big headed imposter at our club

Brutalitops

Juniors
Said it before and I'll say it again: these internationals between islander countries are the current pinnacle of rugby league.

Would they stand a chance against Kangaroos? Nah. But that's not the point. The passion, intensity, speed and pride on display is unlike anything else. Origin is the only thing that comes close.

Look at that crowd. Look at it. God damn

The Damo

Juniors
Said it before and I'll say it again: these internationals between islander countries are the current pinnacle of rugby league.

Would they stand a chance against Kangaroos? Nah. But that's not the point. The passion, intensity, speed and pride on display is unlike anything else. Origin is the only thing that comes close.

Absolutely agree. If league is serious about growing, then we’re looking at the future.
And honestly, Tonga in 4-6 years, if they get some good halves to choose from could definitely challenge Australia as the worlds best team. That forward pack right now is stellar.

hewi

Bench
Watched the Samoa Tonga game live then watched the yawnion game , no wonder it’s dying just no comparison for excitement.

Gareth67

First Grade
image.jpg Nah - cannot see it making any difference whatsoever ? ? Wollongong is approx. 15 feet above sea level ( according to Wiki ) .
I most sincerely hope that they are indeed climatised or some of the more elder players such as our James Graham could be in trouble .
As we all realise he puts everything into his game and leaves nothing in the tank.

Drag Queen

Bench
View attachment 21002 Nah - cannot see it making any difference whatsoever ? ? Wollongong is approx. 15 feet above sea level ( according to Wiki ) .
I most sincerely hope that they are indeed climatised or some of the more elder players such as our James Graham could be in trouble .
As we all realise he puts everything into his game and leaves nothing in the tank.
Yikes, a test for the O2 levels,

getsmarty

Immortal
REPRESENTATIVE

Widdop, Graham enticed by rugby league's growth
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Sat 23 Jun 2018, 12:21 PM

St George Illawarra duo Gareth Widdop and James Graham have reaffirmed their approval of Sunday morning's Test (AEST) between England and New Zealand at Denver's Mile High Stadium.

Widdop and Graham will line-up for England in the Test against Dragons teammate Leeson Ah Mau, who is set to make his debut for the Kiwis.

With State of Origin II set to be played 12 hours after England and New Zealand collide, Widdop was pleased that he could join in on the representative festivities – even if it means travelling across the globe.

Throw in the potential for rugby league's growth in the United States of America and Widdop believes Sunday morning's game is a recipe for success.

"It's a great opportunity to play in America, not only for us but for rugby league as a whole. We're hoping to expand the game. The general interest around Denver is really pleasing," Widdop said.

"It seems like they've pushed the game in the city very well and hopefully we get a fair turnout on the weekend. It's the start of us trying to grow the game.

"We don't have State of Origin and other representative boxes to tick as such, so for us to get away and represent our country in the middle of the season is really important," Widdop added.

"We don't get together much otherwise. New Zealand are in the same boat so it's great we get to have this game now leading into our three-Test series against them at the end of the year."

James Graham meets Tim Howard

The price of travelling to America midway through the NRL Telstra Premiership is a small one in the grand scheme of putting international rugby league on the pedestal it deserves, according to Graham.

"We have been very passionate about getting this game on. I think it has the potential to grow over the next three years and as a game I think we need to think big," Graham – who will line up for England for the 40th time – said.

"For me, every time I get to represent my country it's always something I take pride in. I think we've gained a lot of others respect from our last World Cup campaign and especially our performance in the final so it's onwards and upwards from here."

The Dragons wish to thank England Rugby League for supplying audio of the above interviews.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/23/widdop-graham-enticed-by-rugby-leagues-growth/

Drag Queen

Bench
REPRESENTATIVE

Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp

St George Illawarra duo Gareth Widdop and James Graham have reaffirmed their approval of Sunday morning's Test (AEST) between England and New Zealand at Denver's Mile High Stadium.

Widdop and Graham will line-up for England in the Test against Dragons teammate Leeson Ah Mau, who is set to make his debut for the Kiwis.

With State of Origin II set to be played 12 hours after England and New Zealand collide, Widdop was pleased that he could join in on the representative festivities – even if it means travelling across the globe.

Throw in the potential for rugby league's growth in the United States of America and Widdop believes Sunday morning's game is a recipe for success.

"It's a great opportunity to play in America, not only for us but for rugby league as a whole. We're hoping to expand the game. The general interest around Denver is really pleasing," Widdop said.

"It seems like they've pushed the game in the city very well and hopefully we get a fair turnout on the weekend. It's the start of us trying to grow the game.

"We don't have State of Origin and other representative boxes to tick as such, so for us to get away and represent our country in the middle of the season is really important," Widdop added.

"We don't get together much otherwise. New Zealand are in the same boat so it's great we get to have this game now leading into our three-Test series against them at the end of the year."

The price of travelling to America midway through the NRL Telstra Premiership is a small one in the grand scheme of putting international rugby league on the pedestal it deserves, according to Graham.

"We have been very passionate about getting this game on. I think it has the potential to grow over the next three years and as a game I think we need to think big," Graham – who will line up for England for the 40th time – said.

"For me, every time I get to represent my country it's always something I take pride in. I think we've gained a lot of others respect from our last World Cup campaign and especially our performance in the final so it's onwards and upwards from here."

The Dragons wish to thank England Rugby League for supplying audio of the above interviews.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/23/widdop-graham-enticed-by-rugby-leagues-growth/

ouryears

Bench
REPRESENTATIVE

Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp

Widdop is living in a parallel world, thinking this game is important to the growth of league, for goodness sakes, I don't think so.

Says it's like his origin, geezuz.

Denver USA, I don't think so.

Many regional areas NSW are falling to AFL while we are falling asleep at the wheel.

But if it gives you a siesta while origin is on, go for it Gareth.

Lets not hear anything more about players looking tired and busted, that's now BS with Widdop and Graham excited about this lil ole getaway.

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Its fantastic being there the crowd is great.
They didn't stop singing and cheering all night.
Great game .
The crowd was so respectful.
It's how it sould be.
Loved every minute.
I hope the nrl makes it a permanent event.
The kangaroos will play tonga at the end of the season should be great day

Latest posts