What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revisiting QEII as a venue

Loudstrat

Coach
I know al lot of Queenslanders were glad to see the back of it when Brisbane returned to Lang Park. However, is it viable as a NRL ground again?

To me a new SEQ side would have much more cerd if it was not a clone of the Broncos at Lang Park. There are bugger all suitable venues up there, and if QEII again hosted a side and grabbed crowds approaching the old days, the SEQ side (whoever it is) would be a lot closer to realism.

Thoughts?

Quidgybo

Bench
If we're going to base another side in Brisbane proper (and I'm by no means sold on that idea) then it'd be bloody stupid not to use Suncorp. Best facilities, best location, best transport. The only other realistic option would be teams based north (Redcliffe to Gympie) or west of Brisbane (Ipswich/Logan to Toowoomba) and both those would mean new boutique venues.

Leigh.

Last edited:

otori

Juniors
QE2 or ANZ or I think QSA as its called now. Something with a Q :). Biggest problem with the venue is transport. Suncorp is a brilliant ground that has infrastructure built into it whereas QE2 is inaccessible by train and about a half hour walk from Garden City if you bus it to Mt Gravatt.

Plus ever since it was vacate by the Broncos, it's more used as an athletics ground. You sit pretty far away from the action because of the running track.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh good idea, lets not use the best RL stadium in the country for a new team! I am sure the reduction in fans and corporate facilities plus the amont of $'s to bring QE11 up to standard wouldn't be an impairment for any new club. Great idea Loudy!

Loudstrat

Coach
Better idea still is to clone an existing team, right?

Everyone knows that a new product will always fail unless it has something unique about it's competitor. Having a new team called Brisbane playing at Suncorp is like having a new team called Newcastle playing at Hunter Stadium.

Answer the question!

QE2 or ANZ or I think QSA as its called now. Something with a Q :). Biggest problem with the venue is transport. Suncorp is a brilliant ground that has infrastructure built into it whereas QE2 is inaccessible by train and about a half hour walk from Garden City if you bus it to Mt Gravatt.

Plus ever since it was vacate by the Broncos, it's more used as an athletics ground. You sit pretty far away from the action because of the running track.

The stadium itself is out of date, seating is far from the action due to running track and facilities for catering are old. Transport however isn't a problem, 130&140 bus routes constantly pass it every 15 minutes. The main problem is the upgrade of the Kessels rd/ Mains rd intersection at the moment.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ftr there is a 300 million dollar upgrade of the intersection where it is.

Which includes bus stuff.

The ground itself would need an upgrade.

Good question. That depends where the team is based. If its Ipswich then the Ipswich council can combine with Qld government to build one out near Raceview/Willowbank. If its northern Brisbane then north lakes would be suitable to build a stadium out there, again with the state government and pine rivers council. It would probably cost a little bit less to upgrade QSAC then it would to build a stadium but then transport and logistics have to be added. Best thing that could happen is for Griffith uni to buy out the QSAC land and with that money QLD government can build a new one where ever. It's not as clear cut as a few on here make it out to be though.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Has the OP ever been to QEII?

It's just not going to happen. There'd be more chance of Henson Park making a comeback.

Clubs wouldn't want to play there and more importantly Brisbanites don't want to watch footy there. It was a terrible footy ground that has left shocking memories for the populace of the city.

I agree the Bombers have gone down the cloning route and for that they should be judged harshly. But choosing Lang Park as their venue was the least of their troubles. The alliteration of the name and then using an ozzie rules' club moniker was sheer embarrassment.

LP is the home of Rugby League in Queensland and it would only be appropriate that a second SEQ club would be based there.

Quidgybo

Bench
I understand that Ballymore is being refitted for the Reds RU side. Any thoughts as to "borrowing" it for a possible new RL side?
The problem with Ballymore is that it's criminally inaccessible (kind of like Leichardt, buried in residential streets and backing onto water). It's no place to be building a major stadium or hosting major events. If they were to build another ground in central Brisbane (why would they with Suncorp?) the most obvious location in my mind is north or north east of the CBD, the RNA Showgrounds or Perry Park, both right next to the rail line. In terms of proximity either one would be Brisbane's "Docklands" next to Suncorp's "MCG".

Leigh.

Haffa

Outside of music festivals, does the RNA Showgrounds get used for much else?

Only the show and conventions occasionally, there is a planned reduction in size of the area for office developments. It's a 40/20 kick away from Lang Park so hardly justifies the investment from a broke government.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Better idea still is to clone an existing team, right?

Everyone knows that a new product will always fail unless it has something unique about it's competitor. Having a new team called Brisbane playing at Suncorp is like having a new team called Newcastle playing at Hunter Stadium.

Answer the question!

Playing out of the same ground doesn't mean you are a clone. I'd be interested to know how you think another team called Brisbane (in order to not be confined by a small suburban/geographical area catchment) would differentiate itself from the Broncos? They could have called themselves SQ I guess or West Brisbane (but again risk then alienating a large chunk of potential fanbase). Any new team in Brisbane has to play out of Suncorp as A) it is the countries best RL ground so why wouldn't you? and B) The Q'land Govt is not going to find $250mill to build another ground just to suit RL.

Any new club needs a ground of at least around 25K if they are going to compete, especially when your rival is the Broncos.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The problem with Ballymore is that it's criminally inaccessible (kind of like Leichardt, buried in residential streets and backing onto water). It's no place to be building a major stadium or hosting major events. If they were to build another ground in central Brisbane (why would they with Suncorp?) the most obvious location in my mind is north or north east of the CBD, the RNA Showgrounds or Perry Park, both right next to the rail line. In terms of proximity either one would be Brisbane's "Docklands" next to Suncorp's "MCG".

Leigh.

Yeh before Lang Park was redone there was a big push to have a big new stadium on the Ekka grounds. I'm really glad they stuck with Lang Park.

I can't remember if it was going to be multipurpose or not but I can't imagine the stadium would be as loved as it is if it was a multi-purpose oval like Stade de Oz