What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rick stone

Joker's Wild

Coach
The guy is a rookie coach, not a seasoned campaigner like Bennett, and will make some rookie like mistakes from time to time.

Overall I think he has done a pretty good job given the average circumstances he has had to do it in.

Serc

First Grade
I was coming in here with 20 quick posts on a fresh thread expecting to see a significant percentage bagging Stone like this same point in 2010...but no! Some really good thoughts in here and I too think he has put some points (not too many, but some) on the board in trying circumstances since late in season 2009.

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
This thread is classic. Had a good laugh at some of the replys to this, esspecially

How many people have said that you f**ken moron?

and

You have also been calling for Jarrod Mullen to be dropped from first grade. Most people assume you are a froot loop and don't really pay much attention to you.

and

I think we all know what's happened here....

Mullo gave knights girl a bit of the old pork steeple and never called her back and Stoney did the same to her mum.

and

and knights girl, you're delivering this epiphany from the same keyboard that wants Jarrod f**king Mullen dropped. i think someone needs to get the nurse to check your meds.

lol. But it seems pretty obvious to me that knights girl is either a) a nut bag or b) is not really a knights supporter and just here to troll and stir you guys up. funny tho...

88.Knights

Juniors
Out of curiosity, could any of the anti-stone crew come up with justification for their oppinion? Not saying there isnt any, just that saying 'i don't like him cos i dont think he is good' is hard to debate/comment on.

Even if it was something along the lines of 'he hasnt been able to turn AK into petro yet' will do.

im not part of any crews but his constant picking of kaufusi, ciraldo, mcdonnell, tolar, karawana is very annoying.

I seem to remember last year I came on here and said that stone was not a first grade nrl coach and how he had no coaching tactics and I got bagged out. It is very interesting to see how people are changing their minds.......so to the people who said I thought stone was Satan and all the other jibes I got all I can day is I told u so.
Aren't you brilliant. Please bow down before Knights Girl. Let me ask you a question though? Name one coach in the game who would not get elbowed for Wayne Bennett? I bet you can't name one and be 100% sure. Not even Bellamy! It took you weeks to put this stuff up on this forum. You are a sniper and a scavenger. You sit in the grass like a coward waiting to pick the bones. You told me nothing expect that you are a complete and utter goose.

Last edited:

shane1970

Juniors
im not part of any crews but his constant picking of kaufusi, ciraldo, mcdonnell, tolar, karawana is very annoying.
Man we have GREAT depth - don't we :sarcasm: - I suppose it ain't really Rick's fault when you have to choose between nuffies like this mob.

I wouldn't say Stone is a "bad" coach but I'd say that he doesn't have the style that Newcastle needs at present. We need better discipline and a stronger team ethic and more confidence in ourselves.
With that backbone in place I'm sure Stone would be more effective.

Spot On

Coach
To be fair to him - he's probably two good players away from having this team sitting 3rd on the ladder. Probably an argument quite a few teams could make though. We have certainly had our fair share of injuries, more than most.

Pika

Bench
Sims, Kali and Odonnell are so far from NRL level its staggering.

Cooke will get there, is nearly there in fact.

You are correct about the other two though.

Serc

First Grade
Yeah the Late mail segment on The Game Plan (One HD's NRL show on Thurs nights) also said to expect Stone to be linked to the Penrith job this weekend.

Johns Magic

Referee
Hmmmm...

I won't be too upset if he goes, but it will be interesting. I'd say he deserves more, but a first-grade gig under Gould will be good for him.

I am a fan of Stoney. I hope he does go because he deserves a starting gig. To me he has to for no other reason than I think HSG will not necessarily give him the gig four years from now. As unlikely as it is , Benny may stay on.

Nuffy

Bench
He may go but I think at this stage Penrith need an established coach, not Stone.

They need rebuilding from the ground up and I'm not sure hes got the skillset yet to do that.

Honestly, he doesn't "deserve" a FG gig, he was gifted the Knights one, an apprenticeship under Bennett will be the making of him.

But if he goes then so be it.

Johns Magic

Referee
He may go but I think at this stage Penrith need an established coach, not Stone.

They need rebuilding from the ground up and I'm not sure hes got the skillset yet to do that.

You obviously haven't read the news lately, Phil Gould has just signed there to do that.

Honestly, he doesn't "deserve" a FG gig, he was gifted the Knights one, an apprenticeship under Bennett will be the making of him.

Coaches have to start somewhere, and Stone was handed a very raw deal to start his career. If everything that's happened here the last couple of years meant the end of him, it would be unfair for an aspiring first-grade coach.

He pushed the Tinkler takeover to the public, and has carried himself well throughout his time.

Latest posts