What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricko Goooorrrrrnnnnn

lainey

Juniors
Ricketson guilty
By Daniel Pace
September 29, 2004

A PACT made between Sydney Roosters players to never be intimidated again was the catalyst for Luke Ricketson's swinging arm on North Queensland's Nathan Fien.

Guilty ... Luke Ricketson.

Unfortunately for Ricketson, the Roosters' vow to never let an opposition player stand over them cost the lock a spot in Sunday's NRL grand final against the Bulldogs.

Ricketson was tonight unsuccessful in having a grade three striking charge reduced to a level one offence, meaning he copped a three-match ban which ruled him out of the Telstra Stadium decider.

The Roosters stalwart told the judiciary hearing the pact was forged following an incident involving New Zealand Warriors enforcer Awen Guttenbeil in a round 25 match in Auckland last month.

Guttenbeil came from an off-side position to smash Ned Catic and then sledged his dazed opponent while he lay on the ground.

"It was an embarrassment to me and my team," said Ricketson about the incident, which escaped the scrutiny of the NRL match review committee.

"Nothing was done about it and we were bashed for the next half an hour of football.

"Afterwards we made a pact that we would stick up for our players.

"I want to play in a team where someone will support me and I expect to do the same for my teammates."

When Ricketson's defence representative Michael Conn tried to question the former NSW and Test forward on the pact, judiciary chairman Greg Woods became irritable and interjected.

"Are you seriously trying to make a submission based on a vow from the players that they wouldn't be stood over?" Woods asked Conn.

"That would have to be the silliest submission I have ever heard in this tribunal."

Roosters coach Ricky Stuart, who gave evidence on Ricketson's behalf tonight, had said about Guttenbeil's thunderous hit: "I thought it was a cheap shot."

Ricketson argued tonight he was only trying to protect his captain Brad Fittler when he lashed out at Fien in the third minute of Sunday's preliminary final against the Cowboys.

"It was about to erupt," the 31-year-old Ricketson said about Sunday's melee.

Ricketson had his own cheer squad to greet him when he arrived at NRL headquarters to front the judiciary, with a group of 10 supporters chanting "we love Ricko".

Munky

Coach
Ben Ross got the same for someone running head first into his elbow, where is the justice.

Ricko should have been gorn for till round 10 next season.

One less distant cousin (ie cats) will be playing.

Still we have

4) Hodges
5) Walker

11) Mason
12) Crocker

playing.

*Sandy*

First Grade
I'm not sure on that one munky, all I can say is at least we got a little bit of justice in that he was refused and charged accordingly. It's his own fault he's sitting out due to his brain explosion.

I do think that Ben Ross was dealt with harshly on the gradings. The match review committee is a joke and need to be thoroughly looked at.

The Rhino

Juniors
lainey said:
Roosters coach Ricky Stuart, who gave evidence on Ricketson's behalf tonight, had said about Guttenbeil's thunderous hit: "I thought it was a cheap shot."
NOT AS MUCH AS WHAT RICKO DID TO FIEN, HITTING HIM FROM BEHIND AND SIDE - NOW THAT IS A CHEAP SHOT, RICKY... KEEP CRYING ME A RIVER, RICKY! :lol: :lol: :lol: COACH OF THE SYDNEY CITY CHOKES... oops, I mean Chooks :lol: :lol:

lainey said:
Ricketson had his own cheer squad to greet him when he arrived at NRL headquarters to front the judiciary, with a group of 10 supporters chanting "we love Ricko".
:D :lol: WHAT SICKOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :D :twisted: :twisted:

pyro

Juniors
C'mon it was bad enough that Ricko missed the Grand Final and Freddy's last game. Ricko and Freddy are best mates and missing Freddy's last game was like missing 10 club games for Ricko.
1) Why didn't Fien get charged for striking Fittler?
2) Why didn't the Cowboy that almost knocked Micheal Crocker out get charged?

*Sandy*

First Grade
Mr Tugger would of been getting a bit of a work out then. Mr Leftie needs some more work though - it's starting to show.

Fibroman

First Grade
I'm thinking about running courses of education for blokes that suffer injuries to their right hands. It will be a two day course focussing on left hand technique as well as psycological factors including thought processes and methodology.

I am thinking about contacting the Australian sperm donors association to have my course recognised as RPL (recognition of prior learning).

A special introductory offer will include an excursion to Fyshwick, and free booklet outlining the preferred brands of oil and water based gels currently available on the market. :? :oops:

*Sandy*

First Grade
Big Artie and Crittyatter might sign up.

Melon and Rooster Cogburn could assist your research and with them on board the Australian Sperm Donors knowing them on a first name basis will have your course recognised by the end of the week.