What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Riddell ready to explode

The Colonel

Immortal
http://www.wigantoday.net/warriors/Riddell-ready-to-explode.4865005.jp

Is it really a good headline to use for The Pig?

<H1>Riddell ready to explode
TH1_121200929MARK-RIDDELL-WARRIORS-19.jpg

RIDDELL: Tipped for Super League success

Published Date:
12 January 2009

By Tony Dewhurst

Brian Noble predicts Australian powerhouse Mark Riddell will emerge as one of Super League's brightest stars next term.
Riddell was a long-time target for Noble and has signed a three-year deal which will keep him at the JJB Stadium under 2011.

The hooker caught the eye with an impressive debut in Wigan's 44-4 friendly win over Warrington last month, and Noble says there's plenty more to come from the former Parramatta Eels man.

The Wigan coach said: "Super League and Mark Riddell are made for each other, he will make a big impression.

"He is a smart rugby player and Mark has improved our practice work already.

"Mark reminds me of the old-style rugby league man, but he also has that explosive pace and great strength which is such a key part of the modern game.

"I'm sure our fans are looking forward to seeing him play for Wigan in Super League, and he will prove to be a great addition to the squad."

Riddell is the club's only confirmed signing for 2009, but Noble has hinted that he could be joined by other new faces.

However, Wigan's reported interest in controversial Australian lock Greg Bird appears to have cooled.

There was speculation that Warriors could offer Cameron Phelps in part-exchange in an attempt to bring Bird to Super League.

Warriors, meanwhile, are preparing to fly out for their warm-weather training camp in the Canary Islands on Thursday.

The Warriors squad will spend seven days in Lanzarote, where Noble and assistant Phil Veivers have prepared a testing work schedule.

"The boys have had a very satisfactory couple of months' work and Lanzarote is a vitally important week in terms of conditioning and getting the lads ready for the challenge ahead," added Noble.

"We have a tremendous facility out there, and it is a vital part or our build-up towards Super League. We have built up a good momentum.

"But I'm not getting carried away because there is a lot of hard work ahead in the coming months."
</H1>

stuke

Bench
so has Tony Dewhurst worked for the Daily Telegraph, or just read up on all of the previous articles written on Piggy and thought he needed to add one more.

Captain BF

Juniors
They missed something.... "He is fitter at the start of this season than he has ever been before!"

Last edited:

mickdo

Coach
Hard to tell from that photo, but he looks a bit like he's been porking it up over there...

bartman

Immortal
He could probably play close to 80mins over there
No chance imo. The Pig never seemed keen for 80 mins to me.

More likely Noble sees him as a Keiron Cunningham clone, who has the bulk and skill to do some damage close to the try line over there. Cunningham's vision still gets him by for 40 mins a match and a share of tries even though by rights he probably should be retired.

Pig can play in two 20 minute stints and take a breather for a quicker smaller option at dummy half either side of half time, to run the tiring defences ragged. Good money for jam for the Pig.

jk13

First Grade
how are we feeling today sir?
better!
better sir?
better get me a bucket i'm gonna spew!

Eelmatta

All criticism aside I like Piggy and want to wish him all the best in the UK. I think he will have great season in Wigan as they are always good, curious to see how his stats will look seasons end.