What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF Eligibility Laws

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'd like to see anyone that is eligible for SOO, play SOO regardless of the country they play for. So in other words open it up to English and NZ players PROVIDED they meet the SOO eligibility rules. Victor Radley is an obvious example.

Then in terms of internationals, I'd like to see a player nominate their country at the start of the year and they are locked in for that year. I'd like it to be a full 4 year world cup cycle but I don't think we are ready for that yet.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I'd like to see anyone that is eligible for SOO, play SOO regardless of the country they play for. So in other words open it up to English and NZ players PROVIDED they meet the SOO eligibility rules. Victor Radley is an obvious example.

Then in terms of internationals, I'd like to see a player nominate their country at the start of the year and they are locked in for that year. I'd like it to be a full 4 year world cup cycle but I don't think we are ready for that yet.
I think the game needs to develop under age international competitions eg U17 U19 or U18 U20 into full international teams for all the major nations in the area. This will allow players to grow with their nation and the public to identify them with these nations.

Agree with Origin however make the rule if a player played junior league in Australia he is eligible to play this covers the Victor Radley and Brian To'o type players.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think the game needs to develop under age international competitions eg U17 U19 or U18 U20 into full international teams for all the major nations in the area. This will allow players to grow with their nation and the public to identify them with these nations.

Agree with Origin however make the rule if a player played junior league in Australia he is eligible to play this covers the Victor Radley and Brian To'o type players.
Love the Junior comps idea

Iamback

Coach

the game will never be ready if we don't push it, players know the rules and will exploit if given a chance

siv

First Grade
The U18 9s was a great success and should remain on the Int RL calender

What age is the challenging question

I think U19 or U20 would work - ie just before U21 professional training begins

For the big 3 U20 seems the right age

jim_57

Staff member
The NRL is pondering the biggest State of Origin eligibility shake-up in its history, in a move that could open the door for players from tier-one nations England and New Zealand.

One of Michael Maguire’s first jobs as NSW coach will be to provide advice on an overhaul of the State of Origin eligibility rules.

ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce wants to be in position to put forward a plan for Origin’s future early in 2024, with a view to having new rules in place for next year’s series.

The biggest bone of contention is whether Origin should be open to players who meet the state guidelines but have pledged their allegiance to tier one nations England and New Zealand.

The rule change would allow the likes of Victor Radley to wear a Blues jersey despite playing their international football for the Poms.

Pearce wants to speak to the Origin coaches, which means Maguire and Billy Slater will have direct input into the future of the respective jerseys and who wears them.

Proposed Origin eligibility rule changes means players like Victor Radley could represent NSW despite pledging his international allegiance to England. Picture: Getty Images

Proposed Origin eligibility rule changes means players like Victor Radley could represent NSW despite pledging his international allegiance to England. Picture: Getty Images

Interestingly, Maguire may have been conflicted had he retained the New Zealand job. His only concern now is NSW and you suspect Maguire would be keen to have the option of selecting Radley if possible, particularly given the way the Blues have performed in recent years.

Likewise, Slater could suddenly have Jason Taumalolo at his disposal if the rules are changed Origin is opened up to a new group of players.

The issue has been a discussion point for years but ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has charged Pearce with plotting a way forward, while at the same time ensuring the Origin concept isn’t diluted.

Maguire also came to the rescue of international rugby league this week when he personally chauffeured the Golden Boot back from New Zealand.

The award will be presented this week and Maguire carried it in his luggage across the Tasman before handing it over to officials when he arrived at NSW Rugby League headquarters for the press conference to officially unveil him as Blues boss.

Attachments

• 1701744834400.gif
    1701744834400.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0

jim_57

Staff member
To break it down the following Origin players would become eligible for NZ as they’ve yet to play for another tier 1.

Fotuaika (NZ Born)
Walsh (Parent)
Luai (Parent)
Paulo (NZ Born)
Utoikamanu (NZ Born)
Molo (NZ Born)
Su’a (NZ Born)

Ponga, Nanai, Papalii, Taulagi etc not eligible since they have repped Australia in a test or 9’s in the case of Ponga. Going forward these type of players wouldn’t have to chose one or the other which would be a big change.

The following players would become eligible for Origin:
Radley (NSW)
Taumalolo (QLD)
Fonua-Blake (NSW)
Nikora (QLD)
Marshall-King (NSW)
Sorenson (NSW)
Kris (QLD)

There would be more technically but none that are much of a chance that I can see.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting one, could weaken Australia, Samoa and Tonga I suppose.
Leaving that aside it makes no sense in its current guise, its not a trial game for a Kangaroos jersey.

jim_57

Staff member
Interesting one, could weaken Australia, Samoa and Tonga I suppose.
Leaving that aside it makes no sense in its current guise, it’s not a trial game for a Kangaroos jersey.

It’s at the stage where most NZ born players who move over before their 13th birthday choose Origin. Nikora is the only player who’s come through recently who could have picked Origin that hasn’t. Meanwhile Taulagi, Nanai, Fotuaika etc have gone with the Origin/Australia/Tonga/Samoa option.

As long as Origin is the only rep game throughout the year it makes financial sense for players to choose Origin and double dip on rep payments knowing they can play for Australia OR Tonga/Samoa at the end of the year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s at the stage where most NZ born players who move over before their 13th birthday choose Origin. Nikora is the only player who’s come through recently who could have picked Origin that hasn’t. Meanwhile Taulagi, Nanai, Fotuaika etc have gone with the Origin/Australia/Tonga/Samoa option.

As long as Origin is the only rep game throughout the year it makes financial sense for players to choose Origin and double dip on rep payments knowing they can play for Australia OR Tonga/Samoa at the end of the year.
I wonder how many players currently pick the PI second tier nations over NZ to leave the origin option open?
If they can play for NZ and Origin we may see the PI teams top talent dry up?
Origin would possibly get even bigger though with addition of NZ and England eligible players?

Current origin rules have been in place 11 years now. Maybe time for a rethink?

jim_57

Staff member
I wonder how many players currently pick the PI second tier nations over NZ to leave the origin option open?
If they can play for NZ and Origin we may see the PI teams top talent dry up?
Origin would possibly get even bigger though with addition of NZ and England eligible players?

Current origin rules have been in place 11 years now. Maybe time for a rethink?

I doubt it would have that much of an impact on Tonga or Samoa, a few players here and there maybe but they’ll continue to do alright on the current rules until their heritage player pool dries up. All of their current players have a tier 1 option already whether it be Australia or NZ, those 2 only have so many spots and those players are still entitled to choose the tier 2 if they wish.

The proposed change of rules wouldn’t have a huge impact on Origin, only the 4 I mentioned that would come in to contention (Radley, Taumalolo, Fonua-Blake & Nikora). Most recent NZ & Origin dual eligible players are already choosing Origin in most cases so it won’t have a huge impact.