What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC 2025

Kangaroos did, chairman and CEO? Nah couldnt be arsed.
support selling the rights for a decent amount in Oz would be a start!
They didn’t support? what support could they offer?
Going by the comments above they should rotate the soccer world cup between Germany, Brazil and Argentina as they are likely to make the Semi Finals.

Look what happened after the United States hosted a soccer world cup it gave them a springboard to launch there local comp.

Why can't France use this as a chance to relaunch domestically? What is the worst case scenario, we showcase Rugby League to an audience that has been brought up on union - Geez they even might think it is a better product after attending a few games & we covert a few. They could play Tonga v Samoa in Reykjavik Iceland & I'm sure both sets of supporters would find a way there to pack there stadium out so if marketed well they should be able to find enough bums to get on seats.

We can't keep flipping hosting between England & Aus/Nz every 4 yrs.

They still have over 2 years to get this right so I'm sure they have enough time to get there house in order - you'd think France played England a week before the opening game of the tournament reading the doomsdayers comments.

Hopefully we can all then look back and say this was when France was able to lift again on the global stage.
You are right, but the tournament needs a new format.

Fans will not flock to one sided mismatches which don’t feature France. The tournament needs as many feature fixtures as possible. More, high intensity, highly skilled, highly competitive fixtures.

I really hope the tournament is a success. I fear the typical blasé French attitude will be its biggest downfall. The product will not sell itself like the Olympics, soccer and union events will.

Coastbloke

Bench
Ok, I know he’s just a FB page and probably not really in the know, but the Clarkey’s Rugby League column suggests the French are on the brink of losing 2025? Anyone with better contacts that can elaborate?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Ok, I know he’s just a FB page and probably not really in the know, but the Clarkey’s Rugby League column suggests the French are on the brink of losing 2025? Anyone with better contacts that can elaborate?
It’s just being reported by News Ltd as above.

Don't believe what you read... the WC will still go ahead...
Yeah, I think we are more likely to see a reduced, compacted tournament. Even more reason to run with my idea…

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’d be a massive blow if true. It does feel like they need to have a bit of an think about how big and expensive a RLWC is though. If the last one couldnt make a profit despite record sponsorship and ticket sales then they clearly haven’t got it right yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
France could be bidding au revoir to the World Cup with external pressures set to cost the tournament up to $12 million in funding.

After a fairly successful 2021 World Cup in England, France has been shaping up as the next arrival for the RLWC before being played in Australia in 2029.

However, according to The Daily Telegraph, it appears pressures from fellow European countries looks set to force the French government to pull $12 million worth of funding out of the tournament.

The 2025 Rugby League World Cup had already changed locations, originally scheduled to be split between the United States and Canada, however financial concerns for the tournament saw the bid scrapped in favour of France.

Nine of the 16 nations for the men's component have already received entry to the six-week tournament, with the eight semi-finalists in Australia, Samoa, Tonga, New Zealand, Fiji, Lebanon, England and Papua New Guinea all gaining automatic selection, along with the host nation in France.

The French haven't hosted an official RLWC match since 2013, where Avignon and Perpignan hosted French matches during the pool stages.

The French government is yet to confirm the cut in funding for the 2025 instalment, however tournament organisers will be praying the event goes smoothly after the 2021 edition was delayed a year due to COVID.

Llangennech

Juniors
I've yet to see England v Australia in a 3 match series. Can this be done instead of a WC in November 2025 please. And actually would like to see England go to Australia next year and play three Test matches vs the Kangaroos.

Harry O

Juniors
I've yet to see England v Australia in a 3 match series. Can this be done instead of a WC in November 2025 please. And actually would like to see England go to Australia next year and play three Test matches vs the Kangaroos.
Yeah, in our dreams lol

taste2taste

Juniors
That’d be a massive blow if true. It does feel like they need to have a bit of an think about how big and expensive a RLWC is though. If the last one couldnt make a profit despite record sponsorship and ticket sales then they clearly haven’t got it right yet.
The RLWC isn't big enough to run 4 World Cups at once. Financially we can only run a men's WC.
The Women's Rugby WC made a loss in NZ, if rugby can't make a profit in NZ what hope does women's league have of making a profit in France

Llangennech

Juniors
I think it's flippin hilarious. it's ridiculous having Eire, Alba and Cymru full of Aussies. Same with Greece; Lebanon because of her history, she has a different feeling for me, I can accept Lebanon being full of Aussies.

As I've said, I've NEVER watched England v Australia in person, can the IRL, RFL and NRL/ARLC please give me that opportunity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’ve watched a few proper ashes tours. They used to be awesome despite the heartbreak of being a GB fan lol.