What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 6 vs Tigers

the game is way too fast to not have interchanges now imo. also, the collisions are bigger now too with the standard of athlete being far greater
Yes, too fast for some players to play more than 10 minutes. But not too fast for Cotter, Murray, Haas, Yeo, etc. to play 80. Getting rid of interchanges would sort the wheat from the chaff.

I'm not suggesting not to allow substitutions. I would max them out at 4 or 6 rather than the current 8. But I would like to go back to the days when a replaced player could not come back.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
Yes, too fast for some players to play more than 10 minutes. But not too fast for Cotter, Murray, Haas, Yeo, etc. to play 80. Getting rid of interchanges would sort the wheat from the chaff.

I'm not suggesting not to allow substitutions. I would max them out at 4 or 6 rather than the current 8. But I would like to go back to the days when a replaced player could not come back.
Fair enough - however I would suggest there's way less players that can effectively play 80 mins that ones that can't.
Would you extend the size of the bench? You would almost have to when you have substitutions only. Would also completely kill the role of the bench impact player as well

Fair enough - however I would suggest there's way less players that can effectively play 80 mins that ones that can't.
Would you extend the size of the bench? You would almost have to when you have substitutions only. Would also completely kill the role of the bench impact player as well
For example, you could have 6 players on the bench and allow each to be used once for a total of 6 substitutions. It wouldn't end bench impact players. They'd just come on to end the game.

You have to remember that this was the way it was until the late 1990s. I'm just old fashioned. For me, the game really starts when everyone is under extreme fatigue. This is the test. This is what separates us from NFL etc. It annoys me that, just when it's getting too tough for a player, they get saved by being substituted. I can cop that, though. But it's too much them being able to come back again later.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
For example, you could have 6 players on the bench and allow each to be used once for a total of 6 substitutions. It wouldn't end bench impact players. They'd just come on to end the game.

You have to remember that this was the way it was until the late 1990s. I'm just old fashioned. For me, the game really starts when everyone is under extreme fatigue. This is the test. This is what separates us from NFL etc. It annoys me that, just when it's getting too tough for a player, they get saved by being substituted. I can cop that, though. But it's too much them being able to come back again later.
Exactly, their minutes would be completely reduced (thus changing their roles + having guys not really wanting the role). Impact players basically either face playing extremely limited mins or become a starter (and limit their impact by trying to play for longer)
To be honest, I think there’s plenty of fatigue in the game at the moment, if it changed to this it would only get worse imo. You have to remember the game is significantly faster and harder now, it wouldn’t be the same as it was x amount of years ago with limited subs.
I think you could potentially reduce the current subs to 6 to see a difference, but I wouldn’t advocate for any less than that

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Slow the game down; more skill when the game was horizontal rather than vertical; the wrestle is only in because they are trying to slow the game down all the time. No skillfull offloads in traffic anymore ala Reddy, Beetson, Cartwright. Imo games being faster has not made it better. Too many cheap tries and bullshit stats like metres gained…fasts yep, better nope!

justadragon

Bench
Slow the game down; more skill when the game was horizontal rather than vertical; the wrestle is only in because they are trying to slow the game down all the time. No skillfull offloads in traffic anymore ala Reddy, Beetson, Cartwright. Imo games being faster has not made it better. Too many cheap tries and bullshit stats like metres gained…fasts yep, better nope!
Thats why we have so many tackles that incur penalties and worse, all in the name of stopping a player to be able to offload, thats why offloads now are regarded as spectacular rather than been regarded as the norm many years ago.

sammymills

Juniors
i wish they brought back unlimited interchange and we had huge monster fowards who we could take on and off. The game has sped up so much that you get wingers (example daniel vidot) moving to the fowards. Back in the day this was unheard of.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
i wish they brought back unlimited interchange and we had huge monster fowards who we could take on and off. The game has sped up so much that you get wingers (example daniel vidot) moving to the fowards. Back in the day this was unheard of.
unlimited interchange would ruin the game, it would completely take the little blokes out of it

Latest posts