What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roberts calls for professional team in Ireland

http://www.totalrl.com/oliver-rober...ceiving-touching-letter-from-exiled-teenager/
Oliver Roberts calls for professional team in Ireland after receiving touching letter from exiled teenager
February 21, 2018 Matthew Shaw
RobertsO-171029704.jpg

Oliver Roberts has called for a professional team to be established in Ireland after receiving a heart-warming letter from a young supporter.

The Huddersfield ace received a letter from 15-year-old Shane, a massive Rugby League supporter from County Kerry, who told him that he was his favourite player.

However, Roberts was left dismayed as he continued to read the letter, with the youngster telling him that he can’t play the sport he loves as there are no local clubs, so he has to play rugby union instead.

The youngster went on to say that he couldn’t watch Ireland play in the World Cup as they weren’t shown on BBC Ireland and he didn’t “have the channels,” but spoke of his hope that the proposed Six Nations tournament takes place so he can fulfil his dream of seeing a game live.

Shane wrote: “I love following Rugby but unfortunately I don’t play it as there isn’t any clubs near-by. I do play Rugby Union though.

Roberts-Letter.jpg

Roberts received this letter from 15-year-old Shane from Ireland.
“I hope there is a Six Nations this year because it would be a great chance to see a match live at the ground.”

Roberts-Letter-2.jpg

There are currently just ten active amateur clubs in Ireland as funding, participation and organisation of clubs proves to be an ongoing problem.

But Roberts, a star performer for Ireland in the World Cup, believes that could change drastically if the RFL welcomed a professional team in Ireland.

“I keep saying that Ireland needs a team in League 1,” he said.

“It one thousand percent needs to happen. Who knows what could happen, it would certainly help it grow and maybe even make it parallel to rugby union.

“There are so many lads playing rugby union out there, and when they don’t make the cut they just give up. It’s rubbish because they could have a crack at Rugby League.

“Rugby League isn’t a business, it’s a hobby. You need people involved who have the money to fund it and the time to market it properly. Toronto have done things right and have helped grow the game in Canada. We should be looking to do that everywhere.”

Four players from Longhorns, one of Ireland’s amateur clubs, recently trained with the Huddersfield Giants, and Roberts believes there is huge potential for players to emerge from the Emerald Isle.

“We had four young lads from Ireland come over for some experience, they were 17 and built like the side of a house.

“The market in Ireland for players who go under the radar or don’t make the cut in union is massive. There are so many missed opportunities out there. They could transfer to Rugby League which would be great.”

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Should have happened already. Who is to blame RFL? RLIF? RLI? The governing body of sport in Ireland? I'd say all the above have something to answer. The first two first and foremost. Stallion will probably come on here blaming Union again. Like that's something we haven't heard of…… :rolleyes:

Pommy

Coach
The only way a successful league team will survive in Ireland is if a local with a passion for the game can finance it.
I don’t see the RFL ever jumping in to finance a side, neither do I really think it’s their place to do so.

jim_57

Staff member
Should have happened already. Who is to blame RFL? RLIF? RLI? The governing body of sport in Ireland? I'd say all the above have something to answer. The first two first and foremost. Stallion will probably come on here blaming Union again. Like that's something we haven't heard of…… :rolleyes:

I'd love to see an Irish team in League 1 as much as anyone, but you can't really blame anyone for not having the money to make it happen. It would need a money man or good handful of local backers.

I'd love to see an Irish team in League 1 as much as anyone, but you can't really blame anyone for not having the money to make it happen. It would need a money man or good handful of local backers.
And don't forget the traveling.

jim_57

Staff member
And don't forget the traveling.

And the precedent is there for "overseas" teams to pay for all travel including the visiting team. If the RFL & clubs wanted that again there's no chance unless they find a blow in Eric Perez.

johnny plath

Juniors
And the precedent is there for "overseas" teams to pay for all travel including the visiting team. If the RFL & clubs wanted that again there's no chance unless they find a blow in Eric Perez.
I don't really know, but surely a trip to Ireland for a game couldn't be that difficult, or expensive. I know its just a map, but Dublin doesn't seem much further a trip than London for the majority norther clubs. Genuinely curious, is it a costly thing to go from England to Ireland.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't really know, but surely a trip to Ireland for a game couldn't be that difficult, or expensive. I know its just a map, but Dublin doesn't seem much further a trip than London for the majority norther clubs. Genuinely curious, is it a costly thing to go from England to Ireland.

Not so much the cost of the flight (which is cheap) but the costs of a long distance trip are far higher for a group of 30-odd people than a bus trip to the game and back.
Bus hire, vs
Flights, transfers, accommodation, food and living expenses...

Not that this is really a valid excuse for a professional sporting organisation.

roughyedspud

Coach
You cant run a team on sentiment..

Create a team,with funding and a business plan...and we can take it from there..

Last edited:

StadiumXIII

Juniors
You cant run a team on sentiment..

Create a team,with funding and a business plan...and we can take it from there..
Well apparently RLI have previously stated their is a backer for a team but this mightn't all happen until 2021 from messenger chats with them.

deal.with.it

Juniors
If NGBs want a pro team, ala Wales, there’s nothing stopping them from generating a business plan, forming strategic relationships and working out how much finance they need. You can then offer % ownership based on investment.
You don’t have to wait for Eric Perez to come along and do it all for you.

Pommy

Coach

It’s not at all costly for an individual to go across the Irish Sea, but when you’re going to make small community based semi pro clubs do it then it will soon start to add up. It would have to be the case that the Irish side would have to pay in the lower leagues. Last time I flew from Glasgow to Dublin the plane probably wasn’t big enough to take an entire squad and staff in one go anyway.

Latest posts