What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rockclimbing

Well, today i took the plunge and tried a bit of rockclimbing for the first time ever. Not bad price really, $10 for as long as u want.

Has anyone else tried it?? Its a fair bit of fun, takes a lot out of your upper body but its good to reach the top. I managed to flake up 3/4 of the way up the first time but got to the top on most of my other efforts.

I guess people perceive it as being a bit dangerous, but with the harness and all, there isn't a lot that can go wrong. The only thing that is wrong is the after effects!

Whats everyone elses experienceswith it??

Moffo.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Rockclimbing is torture for me being afraid of heights. Why anyone would pay to climb up a wall I will never understand. I'll stay down here on the ground.

P

pepe

i'm with you bronco,heights and snakes fall under the same category,avoid at all costs.

i used to have trouble driving over the west gate bridge,i would focus on the car in front of me as to avoid the severe drop.

my worst experiencewas the chair lift at thebrisbane ecca show,ialmost jumped into sideshow alley to end the nightmare.

pepe

Dog

Juniors
Moff, are you talking indoor or outdoor?

I've been the indoor joint at Castle Hill -I got to the top using the easy courses that was about it.
Some of my mates had a go at the pit (which is HUGE), but none of em made it. What pisses me off about the whole deal is having to belay a mate - it's so effing boring!

Dog

Yeh, its indoor Dog. They have a centre in Syd Uni. Belaying is pretty boring! One of my mates climbed half-way up one of them yesterday before he realised that no one was belaying him! I can assure u, that is dangerous!

Im usually not the biggest fan of heights, but i thought it would be something different. Give it a go Pepe and Bronco! Its not to bad, just a bit tortureous on the body.

The courses are to hard. There is one where u have to basically put your body horiziontally. Its ridiculous!

Moffo.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Our school has a rockclimbing wall and about halfway up I'm ready to shit myself. Whenever we would do rockclimbing the girls blouses like me would be stuck with belaying everyone so I will second that motion that its as boring as paint drying.

R

roostergirl

I did it a few months ago & hated it.

I am also scared of heights & couldnt trust the ropey things so only got about 2 metres high. The little kids were laughing at me
emcry.gif

Gav-bt

Juniors
My next door neighbour is a climbing enthusiast. He took our legin and my eldest nephew climbing with him a few years ago, they didn't do the north face of the Eiger, just practiced the basic essentials on large boulders - that's how most climbers start off.

O

ozbash

how can it be indoor ?
did they build a shed around a cliff,or what.?

being a champion mountaineer myself,i have no fear of heights (or anything for that matter), and have actually met sir ed.
i have also seen vertical limit 4 times and would never use gelignite,,ever.

O

ozbash

""Not bad price really, $10 for as long as u want.""

you need yr bumps felt moff,they seen you coming.
we do it for free over here...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes Ozbash, but climbing up the side of things is a national sport in NZ.

Sounds like fun Moffo, very sensible to have something other than therock to hold onto as well.

Trying find inaccessible camping spots usually involvedthis dunderhead taking stupid chances. How often do we hear of some bush walker coming unstuck on a cliff face? Getting away with it was more to do with good fortune than good organisation.

I guess going to somewell prepared activity is safer and as you say $10 isnt much... but do you get the same thrill? ;)

I’ve always been a tree-climber myself – figuratively and metaphorically. Hanging onto those little grips is not a god thing for top and middle heavy people like me. My middle child likes it and I have spent a coupla hours being bored by the belaying Ozbash – indoor rockclimbing is an excellent use for that antiquated sport of squash (although I suppose its just starting to take off in enzed). ;) MoFo and Dog – you’re Sydney boys [district not uni or school…] eh ? That’ll make for a good seven’s GF night or post tourney drinks. We could meet at Henson Park and cart a slab up to the grandstand [no probs about access, even if the hole in the fence is fixed] :D Goz

A bit of a uni man myself Goz ;)But a slab on the steps of the shrine (Henson Park) sounds like a good idea at anytime :)

It's still a thrill Willow! About 1/2 way up, you look down and think, shit im an idiot for doing this. But then, the competitive side kicks in and you keep going. For all those 'girls blouses' in here (and Rggggggggg), where are your adrenalin rushes?? Come on, once u get 1/2 way up, the fear kicks in a bit and u push on!

lol ozbash, we value our safety over here. Indoor rockclimbing is just like outdoor climbing, apart from the wind, rain and sharp rocks that would cut you to shreds if you ever fell off. I'll stick to my indoor climbing :)And for $10, definitely! A$10 would buy property in NZ, soi can see your point :)

Moffo.

R

roostergirl

Willow, the one on the Gold Coast is in the Burleigh Industrial Estate. There is about 30 different types of routes to climb.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ah... thanks Rg, You're a wealth of information... Converse Gym Boots and now rock climbing places.
I'm back on the wagon
emsad.gif
so it might just the activity for the spring. :)

Dog

Juniors
Actually not from Sydney maggie, I'm from that forgotten/boring area just north of the city of dreams - the Central Coast. Castle Hill is our closest decent RCing venue so unfortunately thats where we have to traverse to.

dog