What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters push to lift salary cap.

Infuzer

Juniors
<span>I found this story at the Fox Sports AUS site. For those who have yet to read it.
Denis Fitzgerald's very last sentence is interesting
Push to lift salary cap
</span><span>By Peter Frilingos</span>
<span>May 8, 2003
</span>
SYDNEY Roosters chairman Nick Politis is leading a push to have the salary cap raised for next season in a move that could alter the balance of power in the code.
<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width=170 align=right border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td align=middle>
0,5001,253514,00.jpg
What's wrong with Justin Hodges earning $500k?
</td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor=#ffffff height=10></td></tr></tbody></table>Politis, a political heavyweight in rugby league, has found significant support from a number of clubs, including the Bulldogs who were caught cheating the cap last year. The first official move will be made next week at a meeting of chief executives. The revelation comes as the Roosters and Bulldogs prepare for the most anticipated game of the season so far at Telstra Stadium tomorrow night. "There hasn't been a rise for five years," said Politis, a member of the game's partnership committee. "It's getting harder and harder to fit 25 players into the $3.25 million cap. If you are going to have a successful team you need at least four or five rep players, and you are not going to get a player of that calibre to play for $180,000 to $200,000. "And even if that happened, we don't want to be seen as the poor cousin to Aussie Rules and rugby. What's wrong with a Brad Fittler or an Andrew Johns earning $400,000 to $500,000 from the game?" Politis and other club bosses believe they cannot continue to retain successful players on a $3.25 million cap in the face of raids from other clubs and rugby union. At next week's chief executives forum, the Roosters and Bulldogs will lead a push to have the cap increased in line with the consumer price index. St George Illawarra and the Broncos will back the move with Parramatta the only cashed-up club opposed to cap increases. NRL chief executive David Gallop is expecting the push to start in earnest next week. "The clubs have embraced the cap from day one and their views on any changes are critical," Gallop said. "Conveniently there will be an opportunity to address this issue next week. "We have to be conscious of the huge investment being made by our rival codes in development." The motives of the Roosters, arguably the richest club, and the Bulldogs, who rorted the cap last year, will no doubt be questioned as the push for increases of anything up to $500,000 a season gain momentum. If the cap was increased it would have a huge impact on the clubs with the smaller financial base, such as Wests Tigers, Canberra, South Sydney, Manly and Cronulla. Politis argues: "You have to pay market value for rep players and if you don't they go elsewhere. "But once you pay them you're asking your bottom six or seven players to play for virtually nothing and that's wrong. "So a cost of living adjustment is not an unreasonable or reckless proposal. "Everything else is governed by CPI; why not the salary cap? "Two or three per cent would equate to between $300,000 and $500,000." Politis said it was possible a club could decided the cap was an unreasonable restraint of trade and mount a legal challenge. Bulldogs chairman George Peponis confirmed his club would support a lift in the cap. "I wholeheartedly support what Nick Politis is saying," Peponis said. "It hasn't changed in five years and in that time the cost of living has gone up considerably. "You get caught in a Catch 22 situation because in those five years you develop young players into first graders then can't keep them because of cap limits." St George Illawarra's Peter Doust said player equalisation throughout the league had worked because of the cap restrictions. "But it shouldn't work against clubs who have developed players in order to achieve success," Doust said. "I think the index argument is lucid and deserves support." Broncos chief Bruno Cullen said Brisbane would support a small cap increase even though the clubs could not afford it. "We will support an increase to $3.5 million and, while not many can afford it, we need the increase so we can give players, especially the long-serving ones at least, a CPI increase," Cullen said. Parramatta's Denis Fitzgerald said he was a long-term opponent of cap increases. "It wouldn't surprise me if Canterbury and the Roosters were pushing for increases solely looking at their particular situations rather than the good of the game," Fitzgerald said.

I read this story a littleealier on today at WORL.
Dragon's Peter Doust said it best with this comment -
St George Illawarra's Peter Doust said player equalisation throughout the league had worked because of the cap restrictions. "But it shouldn't work against clubs who have developed players in order to achieve success," Doust said.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm not against the cap being raised but if it happens, there should also be discounts for clubs which have nutured juniors and/or have long term senior players.
The only exemption to this would be Melbourne.

The Roosters deserve no such exemptions and should be made to pay top dollar for failing to develop their own junior base.

A number of clubs would benefit from a development discount on their cap and rich clubs like Easts may see profit in putting a little more back into junior RL.

Navigator

Juniors

While Politis puts forward a reasonal arguement, especially when he says things like -"You have to pay market value for rep players and if you don't they go elsewhere (I assume Union being the main culprit) . But once you pay them you're asking your bottom six or seven players to play for virtually nothing and that's wrong. So a cost of living adjustment is not an unreasonable or reckless proposal". - I think Peter Frilingos writes it well when he says If the cap was increased it would have a huge impact on the clubs with the smaller financial base, such as Wests Tigers, Canberra, South Sydney, Manly and Cronulla.

V

Vertigo

Exactly Willow andNavigator.
I'm also all for a salary cap increase (in particular if it means not loosing players to rival codes), but inreality,this is not a fair approach which benefits all clubs.
The rich are getting richer.
V.

imported_midas

Juniors
Well Fitzy,s got me totally confused now.last week the reason that so many good players were released was that they couldn,t be fitted in under the cap.
Now he,s opposed to lifting the cap-sowhat are we going to do now -keep losing players?
Or maybe the club is not as flush as we are led to believe.

L

legend

If the NRL pander to the Roosters and Bulldogs, two confirmed cheats, the game will lose half a dozen clus intwo years. Manly, Souths, Wests Tigers, North Qld and Melbourne would be lucky to last another season.

This is an editorial I did on Leagueunlimited about this:

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2 width="100%" align=center border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td align=left width="70%" colspan=3>Roosters Turn To Reap What They Sow: Editorial</td></tr> <tr> <td align=left width="100%" colspan=3>Written by:Michael Edgar</td></tr> <tr> <td align=left width="100%" colspan=3>8/5/03</td></tr> <tr> <td align=left width="100%" colspan=3><a target=_top>&lt;&lt;&lt; Go Back</a></td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=3></td></tr> <tr> <td align=left width="20%"><a target=_top>
art_email.gif
EMAIL THIS</a></td> <td align=left width="20%"> PRINT THIS</td> <td align=left width="60%"></td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=3></td></tr> <tr> <td align=left width="100%" colspan=3>The Sydney Roosters chairman, Nick Politis, has openly stated he would like to see the salary cap raised to $4 million so the Roosters can continue to buy premierships at will. This was not said for the greater good of the game or any other noble cause. It was solely due to the Roosters lack of junior development and their continual poaching of other teams talent.
This season alone we have seen the Roosters do it twice. The first involved Willie Bishop. He was courted at the World Sevens in January and signed away from the Warriors. The second incident was the Mal Kafusi saga. Kafusi was deported from Australia and had been playing for Manly but again, was signed away from Manly by the Roosters and is now playing in the Premier League with Eric Grothe jnr.
There have also been rumours of the Roosters targeting Rhys Wesser as Wesser is going to test himself on the open market come July 1. As it stands now, Politis has admitted it is difficult to keep a team of superstars under the cap but it seems he does not understand the very notion of how the salary cap works. Its sole purpose is to evenly distribute the talent among the fifteen clubs, not just the elite three or four. Also, is this an indirect admission that the Roosters are over the salary cap? You be the judge of that one.
If the salary cap was raised to $4 million, you could bet your bottom dollar the Roosters would continue to horde players from rival clubs and have a virtual first grade side playing Premier League.
As it stands now, raising the cap would be a disaster for the NRL’s poorer clubs. They would be left behind because any decent player could then leave and play for one of the big clubs. It would be similar to the English Premier League where clubs like Manchester United and Arsenal finish in the top two every year. Both clubs buy any player they want with the open chequebook policy and it seems the Roosters think this policy would be a good thing for Rugby League.
There are ways around the raising of the salary cap. The first is to reduce the time for long serving players so a club can gain cap relief. As it stands, a player must be at a club for ten years before they get a partial exemption from the salary cap. This could be reduced to seven years, which would reward clubs for developing and keeping long serving players.
The NRL could also move to measure the time in games and not years. If a young player plays at a successful club and stays relatively injury free, he would reach the 150 game milestone in seven years or slightly under.
We are led to believe that every club is spending the same amount of money on players but if you look at the Wests Tigers playing roster compared to that of the Roosters, the squads are worlds apart in terms of talent.
The Roosters will face the possibility of having eight players playing Origin this year and that leads to a higher wage bill for the poor old Roosters. Tough luck. I don’t think I heard Politis being as vocal when Canberra and Brisbane supplied the majority of the Origin squads ten years ago. He had nothing to worry about because the Roosters were languishing at the wrong end of the table until they bought Fittler and attempted to buy Daley, Stuart and Clyde from the Raiders which proved to be a catalyst for the Super League war. It seems Politis sudden heartfelt pleas are nothing but self-serving, selfish, vested interests in his club and not the game.
I think it’s high time the Roosters tasted their own medicine and see how it feels to have your side decimated by rival clubs ready to pounce on your star players because for you have to play within the rules.
Both Parramtta and St George have suffered greatly from the number of players they have had to shed over the last few seasons so why should the Roosters be any different? Sure, they have the connections to make it work but for the good of the game? I don’t think so.
A quick study of the Roosters players and where they came from shows Politis needs a salary cap increase to stay competetive. Imagine if the Roosters had to rely more on their junior development? It would be a lot longer than 28 years before they won their next title.
Fittler – Panthers
Fitzgibbon – Illawarra
Cayless – Parramatta
Robinson – Parramatta
Wing – Souths
Finch – Raiders
Payten – Raiders
Morley – Leeds
Hodges – Broncos
Imagine the Roosters without these imports? We are talking about more than half their first grade squad.
A small increase in the salary cap to $3.5 million and a reduction of the ten-year rule to seven years would be the fairest and most equitable way to spread the talent evenly across the 15 clubs. The NRL could also look at raising the amount a player can earn from external sponsorship opportunities.
Personally, I don’t want to see the NRL go the way of the Premier League. There has to be some reward for loyalty and junior development. The question is, do the NRL have the intestinal fortitude to make the hard decisions in favour of all clubs, not just the ones with connections in the right places?
</td></tr></tbody></table>

V

Vertigo

If the NRL pander to the Roosters and Bulldogs - qoute:legend
Why do you only point the finger at these two sides only, legend? The article clearly states that St George Illawarra and the Broncos will back the move also.
This shouldn't turn into a Roosters &amp; Bulldogs show only. I'm sure there are a few other clubs that would support this move, apart from the one's mentioned in Frilingos's article.
V.

E

Edwahu

I think the cap should at least increase inline with inflation etc but I dont see a need to raise it more then that unless some sort of incentive is given for producing players. Maybe the NRL should basea percentage of its annual grant on the amount of juniors a paticular club has contracted in the NRL at other clubs. This would really help clubs like Newcastle and the Tigers in comparison to the Roosters.

Canberra can afford a cap increase now but a couple of years ago they would not have been able to and I imagine its the same for alot of other clubs.

imported_Docker

Juniors
The parasite clubs should have to pay the clubs/regions that develop the juniors that they bought because they don't develop their own.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
Of course it needs to be increased.
The same cap has been in for five years now. It has to go up sometime as it can't remain the same for ever. Why not sooner rather than later? Players cannot be offered more money with the restrictionsthe salary caphas now. And even if they are, there are other players (of lesser talent and value) who will suffer because of pay cuts to make the elite players happy. If the game wants to keep its top crop of current and up-n-coming players, the cap has to be increased...or the rival codes will pull a Sailor. Simple as that.
If some clubs can't handle the heat, then they should piss off out of the kitchen.
Get with the programe.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
"It wouldn't surprise me if Canterbury and the Roosters were pushing for increases solely looking at their particular situations rather than the good of the game," Fitzgerald said.
What a stupid comment by Fitzgerald!
Name one club that doesn't look at their particular situations butrather than the good of the game?
Like he's making that statement based on the good of the game? Pfff...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Outlaw: "If some clubs can't handle the heat, then they should piss off out of the kitchen."

I have no doubt that St George would have a stronger player list if not for the current salary cap. Another $750K would see us with four or five extra players.
So from my point of view, the increase will benefit my team. Saints are considered as being one of the 'rich' clubs.

But what you're saying is thatclubs like Newcastle would be forced into the cellar simply because they dont have the same monetary resources. A bit harsh for a club that has produced so many quality juniors....
Its pretty simple really.... rewardclubs for having good junior programs in place.

They should be allowed to keep the juniors if the sponsorship allows for it... a locally bred player on say, $300K should only cut into the cap by say, $150K... for example.

IMO, it would go a long way to sorting out salary cap cheats as well.

L

legend

Vertigo, in todays Telegraph, it was the Roosters and Bulldogs who were the ones most vocal in their support of the increase to $4 million. Also, the paper says that the Dragons and Broncos will only back a small increas to a maximum of 3.5 million and that's still well short of what the other two want. Both the Dragons and Broncos justiifed their arguments.

The Roosters and Bulldogs have already been caught with their fingers in the till so I find their attitude galling to be honest.

raising the cap to $4million sounds like a good idea. you have to move with the times. surely the game generates enough revenue to share with the clubs to help out with the increase.

this revenue sharing with the clubs needs to be sorted out because the clubs seem to be getting ripped by the nrl. rupert needs to stop syphoning the money out of the game, he got what he wanted. time to spread the wealth around.

El Duque

Bench
Good piece wriiten by legend.

Where was this whinging when other clubs lost players??

Some of the players lost due to the cap restrictionswent to the Roosters too so if the cap is increased these pariah's should return them.

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
Worthy comments Willow. And your sensibility on the juniors argument is a very valid statement that I overlooked.
However...
I was pretty much trying to put forward similar comments to what realraul said after my post. Times are changing and clubs have to get with the programme...and move with the times. The cost of living rises about 3% every year for the average working class man(I heard this recently some place), so why not move with the times? Sure, using that figure, itworks out atjust over $200K hike over the current salary cap, but a rounded figure of $4mill appears more "visually" correct...and plus these are professional sports stars we're talking of here, not your average "Joe"
Plus you have to remember, a cap increase to $4mill is only a$750k increase from the current limit. I say only becasue some of the big boy's clubs like the Dogs, Roosters, Broncos, Dragonsand maybe evenPanthers (amonga fewothers) will see this as "church money" or "spare change", others will have a much harder time forking out.Many clubs will probably use this to capture the big fish, and that's fine as it's their choice,but there will also be those few who may justuse this extra $750k to pay some lesser known players what they deserve or are worth. Doesn't that make it worth it?
Also raising the salary cap is not only about creatinga disaster for the NRL’s poorer clubs[where]they would be left behind because any decent player could then leave and play for one of the big clubs it's also about keeping our players from switching codes to the other rugby, as some have already pointed out. I'd rather a player switch clubs to another league side then switch footycodes completely, any day of any week. Wouldn't you?

El Duque

Bench
If the salary cap is increased then the money should be spread evenly but I wouldn't be surprised if the extra money went to the top half dozen players.

It's a scamand footy players are earning plenty.

Hopefully the NRL will listen to the 11 clubs who oppose it and the poachers will have to do what other clubs have done in the past and shed players.

Latest posts