What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters sack Carney!

According to the SMH, Nick Politis has let Carney go:
SMH said:
FROM player of the year and Australian five-eighth to being released by the Roosters less than 12 months later - that's the tale of Todd Carney.

Carney will be set free by the Roosters this week and it's my understanding he is comfortable with the decision. Those who know Carney say he has got his head around the idea of going to play rugby league in France for Super League club Catalans. However, his ambition is to stay in the NRL and he is hoping that a rival team will throw him a lifeline. Carney recently said he wanted to be a long-term Roosters player, so naturally he is shattered by the club's decision to terminate his contract.

However, as I revealed in this column recently, coach Brian Smith didn't want him in his team any more after his well-documented off-field dramas. Roosters chairman Nick Politis had been equivocating about whether to keep the former Canberra Raiders star at the Bondi Junction club, but in the end it was the influence of Smith and some senior players that made Carney's position unworkable.

After playing a starring role in the Roosters' stunning charge to last year's grand final, Carney won the Dally M player of the year award and was also rewarded with selection in Australia's Four Nations squad. This year the Roosters have been among the NRL's biggest underachievers.
Would post a link but I need to have 20 posts to do that. :lol:

Last edited:
AAP said:
THE Sydney Roosters and Todd Carney's management have both denied a decision has already been made to tear up the troubled NRL star's contract.

A report on Sunday said Carney would be cut loose from the NRL club this week after a year marred by a return to alcohol-related problems.

The Dally M medallist, who appeared to have beaten his demons when he led the Roosters to the 2010 grand final in his first season with the club, has been linked to a move to French Super League club Catalans.

"As we said a couple of weeks ago, the decision will be made at the end of the season and we're playing today so it's certainly not the end of the season," Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce told AAP.
Noyce said a decision would be made in the "next short period of time".

"But first it's important today for us with the (under-)20s still in the semi race and first grade are three (wins) on the trot," he said.
"It would be great to finish with a win over Melbourne.

"I've been saying all along with this thing, we need to focus on the team that's playing and then once the season's finished we'll address the matter with Todd and his manager."
Carney's management company Titan posted a denial on Twitter.

"Contrary to reports in The Sun Herald, Todd Carney has not been sacked by the Sydney Roosters," it read.
"Management working on a resolution this week."

It is widely believed the 25-year-old has played his last game for the Roosters.

He has been stood down three times by the club this season for alcohol related issues.

The Roosters play ladder-leaders Melbourne at the Sydney Football Stadium on Sunday night.

The saga continues.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

Lambretta

First Grade
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love Todd, as I am sure many other fans do too, but when the coach doesnt want a player and other senior players arent happy playing with him, w 21sthat the f**k can you do?

Lambretta

First Grade
Is this the entry for quade cooper in 2013?

What the hell is going to happen in 2012?

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Braith will be stoked about a clear run at the five eight position now... do you think he was one of the senior players advocating for his sacking?

Matchball

Bench
Braith will be stoked about a clear run at the five eight position now... do you think he was one of the senior players advocating for his sacking?

Of course. He would have lead the charge.
Braith was no longer the star whilst Carney is there and no longer the darling of easts.
He has to do something to be the star and keep his horse mouthed misses from leaving.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I am pretty sure SBW would have matured since he left the NRL and he is a real talent.

TBH as long as he disassociates himself with Mundine and his manager, then I'd be happy to welcome him.

Ozzy

First Grade
I am pretty sure SBW would have matured since he left the NRL and he is a real talent.

TBH as long as he disassociates himself with Mundine and his manager, then I'd be happy to welcome him.
Cliffy look up, its a flying oinker. :)

God-King Dean

Immortal

lol the guy is chucking a hissy because he's not gonna be picked for the World Cup.