What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ross

Inferno

Coach
One of these stories every year

BEN Ross describes his omission from the Queensland State of Origin team in 2007 as "a kick in the guts" but his focus this year is on helping Cronulla to a maiden premiership ¿ not representative reward.

In fact the 27-year-old prop says he wants to be a "Sharkie" for life despite rocky times under the coaching of the uncompromising Ricky Stuart.

Ross has not given up on his Queensland ambitions but he says his experience last year meant he would not get his hopes up again.

"It's always in the back of your mind that you want to play Origin and it was a bit of a kick in the guts last year when I wasn't looked at in any way – not even for 18th man," he said.

"Steve Price and Petero Civoniceva are great players and I'm sure they will be around for the next year or two. I'll be 30 then and Ricky Stuart keeps telling me that's when props play their best footy.

"As long as I play good footy this year I'll be happy."

Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris has made it clear the front row is the Maroons' headache position, given that Price is 33 and Civoniceva is 31.

He reiterated yesterday that Ross had not had his papers marked and would come into contention. "Ben is still only young and his best football should be in front of him," Morris said.

Ross says his reported run-ins with Stuart were "more media hype than anything". Stuart was not at the Sharks when Ross was signed from Penrith, where he had forged a reputation as one of the game's rising hard men.

A knee injury restricted Ross to seven matches for Cronulla in 2006. Last year he played 18 NRL games, including 11 in the starting side. He is at short odds to start for Cronulla in its round 1 clash with Manly at Brookvale Oval on Saturday week.

"I'm on a very substantial pay packet at Cronulla and my last two years haven't been my best, so people are going to talk and say 'is he worth the money?. Should he go or should he stay or whatever?'," Ross said.

"But Ricky wants me there and I'm happy to stay at Cronulla. It's where I've settled down with my partner and I couldn't be happier.

"I've got another two years left on a four-year contract, which I'm happy with, and hopefully I can extend the deal. Maybe it will not be on the same money I'm on now but I'd still like to extend."

Ross said he had shelved plans to play in England for the meantime as the Sharks search for their first title. "Maybe in the future but I really want to win that first premiership with Cronulla," he said.

The Sharks missed out on the finals by two points in 2007 after a series of narrow losses and Ross said the players did not want any more talk of "what ifs" or near misses.

"We had nine games where we could have won last year and it would have put us on top of the table," he said. "We thought if we made the top eight the grand final was anyone's for the taking."

Link

sharks8601

Juniors
i think he is a valuable asset to our forward park
think back to his first year with us, before he did his knee in he was going great guns
he some strong games last yeah but he lost to much weight when he had the mumps
i work with one of his mates and he told me he was always super keen to stay and play under sticky

Surely

Post Whore
Takes a full season to recover from a serious knee injury, I'm betting he'll fire this year, and with dougie they'll lay a solid forward platform.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I can't wait to see him play this year.
Anybody who thinks he isnt worth his yearly salary is kidding themself.
Sure we were ripped off by an injury but his best footy is ahead of him.
I reckon he will kill it this year. Even if he is just trying to impress his lovely bride.
Shark for life I hope.

blacktip-reefy said:
I can't wait to see him play this year.
Anybody who thinks he isnt worth his yearly salary is kidding themself.
Sure we were ripped off by an injury but his best footy is ahead of him.
I reckon he will kill it this year. Even if he is just trying to impress his lovely bride.
Shark for life I hope.

Well he hasn't been value for money thus far.

There's certainly no excuses for him this year.

I hope he is one of the gun prop forwards this year and gets high rep honours.

He pretty much admits he's on embarrassing money for what he has contributed on the field for the Sharks in the past two seasons and lack of rep honours.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
yep , he should be embarrassed for snapping 3 knee ligaments & taking 18 months to get better.
I had a mate that was a passenger in car that crashed & he died. If he was alive I am sure he would be embarrassed for dying.

blacktip-reefy said:
yep , he should be embarrassed for snapping 3 knee ligaments & taking 18 months to get better.
I had a mate that was a passenger in car that crashed & he died. If he was alive I am sure he would be embarrassed for dying.

Your right the injury wasn't his fault.

And it was a shocking one.

But with the big money he is on.

If he doesn't aim up this year surely he would be embaressed taking the cabbage we are paying him?

Nuffs

Bench
has he been worth the money so far - no

but hey, i'm willing to give the bloke this year to prove he's at least origin standard. that's the standard we're paying him for

runatme

Bench
i want ross to have a blinder this yr for the money the club is playing have a dig son

Inferno

Coach
for 400k+ a year, we shouldn't want him to have a blinder of a year, we should expect it.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Folau is pretty much asking the money we are paying for Ross.

U be the judge...i know who id pick

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Just goes to show what planet Snoop is on.

Folau has just been offered 1 mil per season to go to union.

Now if u think that an NRL club is going to pay half of that & still be able to keep him, your are very , very naive.

Inferno

Coach
I'd have to disagree.

Only props worth 400k IMO are Price, Petero, Mason and maybe Bailey. Wiki in his prime, although he's lost a fair bit now.

Nothing I'd like better than for Ross to prove me wrong, he can't rely on his injury as an excuse anymore.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Inferno said:
I'd have to disagree.

Only props worth 400k IMO are Price, Petero, Mason and maybe Bailey. Wiki in his prime, although he's lost a fair bit now.

Nothing I'd like better than for Ross to prove me wrong, he can't rely on his injury as an excuse anymore.

I don't think he has ever used it as an excuse.

His first 6 weeks for us under contract he was our best for 6 weeks straight. Then he snapped three ligaments in what amounts to a car crash injury. he was back playing less than 12 months later & despite only being 80-90% fit, was still one of our best each week.
I have seen Petero, Price , wiki mason & bailey all succumb to serious injury at least one year during their careers. The season next they came back, albeit gradually.
Ross is better than Petero. Better than Mason. He was before he got injured & he will be when he fully fixed.
That is why we paid 400k & the reasons we weren't the only ones wanting to pay that amount.
He has at least 6 years good football ahead of him & lets hope its all with us.

bluey

Bench
blacktip-reefy said:
I don't think he has ever used it as an excuse.

His first 6 weeks for us under contract he was our best for 6 weeks straight. Then he snapped three ligaments in what amounts to a car crash injury. he was back playing less than 12 months later & despite only being 80-90% fit, was still one of our best each week.
I have seen Petero, Price , wiki mason & bailey all succumb to serious injury at least one year during their careers. The season next they came back, albeit gradually.
Ross is better than Petero. Better than Mason. He was before he got injured & he will be when he fully fixed.
That is why we paid 400k & the reasons we weren't the only ones wanting to pay that amount.
He has at least 6 years good football ahead of him & lets hope its all with us.

Fair comment but there is some payback due, and i for one hope he does it well.