What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roster for 2013 - Gains and Losses

One Warrior

Bench
Sorry, it was a bit out of date so I unstuck it and replaced it with this. It will be in the archive under the original date.

Yeah ok, I keep my own list so here it is as far as I know, if anybody has anymore info, please advise.

LEWIS BROWN 2012 To Penrith
GLEN FISHIIAHI 2015
NATHAN FRIEND 2013
PITA GODINET 2013
BEN HENRY 2015
KONRAD HURRELL 2013
SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO 2012 ?
SEAN JOHNSON 2014
THOMAS LEULUAI 2015 New Signing
JACOB LILLYMAN 2013
KEVIN LOCKE 2013
SIONE LOUSI 2013
SAM LOUSI 2013
MICHAEL LUCK 2012 Retiring
JAMES MALONEY 2012 To Roosters
SIMON MANNERING 2015
ALEHANA MARA 2013
FELETI MATEO 2013
BEN MATULINO 2013
DANE NIELSEN 2015 New Signing
RUSSELL PACKER 2012 ?
JOHN PALAVI 2014
IVAN PENEHE 2012 ?
SAM RAPIRA 2014
STEVE RAPIRA 2012 ?
JEROME ROPATI 2013
UKUMA TA'AI 2012 Unwanted next year
SIO SIUA TAUKEIAHO 2012 ?
ELIJAH TAYLOR 2013
CARLOS TUIMAVAVE 2012 ?
BILL TUPOU 2014
MANU VATUVEI 2013

We have a large part of our salary cap coming of contract at the end of next year.

hitman82

Bench
Yeah ok, I keep my own list so here it is as far as I know, if anybody has anymore info, please advise.

LEWIS BROWN 2012 To Penrith
GLEN FISHIIAHI 2015
NATHAN FRIEND 2013
PITA GODINET 2013
BEN HENRY 2015
KONRAD HURRELL 2013
SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO 2012 ?
SEAN JOHNSON 2014
THOMAS LEULUAI 2015 New Signing
JACOB LILLYMAN 2013
KEVIN LOCKE 2013
SIONE LOUSI 2013
SAM LOUSI 2013
MICHAEL LUCK 2012 Retiring
JAMES MALONEY 2012 To Roosters
SIMON MANNERING 2015
ALEHANA MARA 2013
FELETI MATEO 2013
BEN MATULINO 2013
DANE NIELSEN 2015 New Signing
RUSSELL PACKER 2012 ?
JOHN PALAVI 2014
IVAN PENEHE 2012 ?
SAM RAPIRA 2014
STEVE RAPIRA 2012 ?
JEROME ROPATI 2013
UKUMA TA'AI 2012 Unwanted next year
SIO SIUA TAUKEIAHO 2012 ?
ELIJAH TAYLOR 2013
CARLOS TUIMAVAVE 2012 ?
BILL TUPOU 2014
MANU VATUVEI 2013

We have a large part of our salary cap coming of contract at the end of next year.

If you don't mind, I will steal this info and keep the front page updated with our current signings. Cheers! :)

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
Well done to the two Ben's. Outstanding season for Matulino, and I think Henry has done better than my expectations by some margin. He just needs to either bulk up a bit or put on a bit of speed and he could be a very effective NRL player.

MKEB...

Staff member
Well done to the two Ben's. Outstanding season for Matulino, and I think Henry has done better than my expectations by some margin. He just needs to either bulk up a bit or put on a bit of speed and he could be a very effective NRL player.

Defo agree with this

Sao has impressed me a lot. It's a shame we lost him, but we can't keep them all. I live in Manly territory, so the first thing I saw on the back page of the paper was the article. Got me pretty annoyed, but that's rugby league for you.

Illiterate

Juniors
but why cant we keep most of them if you look at our team we should have a bit of money left in the salary cap.

WarriorDefence

Juniors
Disappointed we couldn't keep him. Guess a clearer path to first grade and the chance to live on the northern beaches of Sydney would be pretty attractive to a young fella- hell, even sounds pretty good to me

Iafeta

Referee
How on earth can't we keep guys like Sao? Weren't they blerting last year they were well under the cap, and then promptly discarded a lot of the older players supposedly to ensure the likes of Sao I would assume are kept?

Scott

Bench
I would have thought we were well off for props tbh.

Packer, Matulino, both Rapiras, Lillyman, Lousi. It's not like you need 8 of them in a squad of 25 or so.

I'm very much in the 'you can't them all camp'.

Iafeta

Referee
I agree with a lot of what you say there mate. I guess my concern is to me, Sao and Taukieaho are the crem de la crem of the forward pack (I know Taukieaho is injured but he's an epic player), and Slaimankhel the best of the outside backs... its looking increasingly unlikely that any of them will be here next year which is disappointing.

Illiterate

Juniors
what is going on with our player signing and retention at the moment. at the end of last season we lost brett seymour,moon,hohia,Berrigan, and a couple others and we only signed friend and upgraded a couple nyc guys to full time contracts. now this year we have lost inu already. and are losing luck,brown,maloney,ta'ai, and we have only signed nielsen,leuluai, then next year ropati's contract should be covered bye the 10 year service thing.

bye looking at the list of players we have let go and signed over the last couple of years we should have a lot of money left under the cap. so i cant understand why we haven't signed omar to a contract yet. and why did manly sign sao and not the warriors we do have a lot of props but injuries do happen and we have spare money laying around bye the looks of it. then you add in that the salary cap is meant to go up it doesn't really make sense of us losing these young players like sao that wouldn't be earning big money yet.

are we trying to free up cap room for a big signing next year? is management trying to run the team under the cap bye alot so they can make a profit. or are we just over paying our players and have no room under the cap

Disappointed we couldn't keep him. Guess a clearer path to first grade and the chance to live on the northern beaches of Sydney would be pretty attractive to a young fella- hell, even sounds pretty good to me

You're not wrong there. Beach babes galore over here. Get a few out of control Manly supporters, but that's life on the Northern Beaches.

Iafeta

Referee
what is going on with our player signing and retention at the moment. at the end of last season we lost brett seymour,moon,hohia,Berrigan, and a couple others and we only signed friend and upgraded a couple nyc guys to full time contracts. now this year we have lost inu already. and are losing luck,brown,maloney,ta'ai, and we have only signed nielsen,leuluai, then next year ropati's contract should be covered bye the 10 year service thing.

bye looking at the list of players we have let go and signed over the last couple of years we should have a lot of money left under the cap. so i cant understand why we haven't signed omar to a contract yet. and why did manly sign sao and not the warriors we do have a lot of props but injuries do happen and we have spare money laying around bye the looks of it. then you add in that the salary cap is meant to go up it doesn't really make sense of us losing these young players like sao that wouldn't be earning big money yet.

are we trying to free up cap room for a big signing next year? is management trying to run the team under the cap bye alot so they can make a profit. or are we just over paying our players and have no room under the cap

Yeah its all a bit...meh. The only thing I can think of is the blokes coming into first grade from NYC are on low contracts, and they need to have space to ensure they don't miss the next big thing so to speak... so say you have a five eighth who comes through, tears up the NRL, is on $80k, I suppose they may look at it that they need room under the cap guaranteed to be able to keep that player.

I do like the fact we don't seem to chase park footy nuffies or fringe first graders to fill gaps anymore.

Perhaps this story points to whats happening, with Elijah Taylor, seems the Melbourne Scum have been trying to poach him and we'd need spare dough to keep him

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7200041/Taylor-insists-he-is-staying-with-the-Warriors

In the space of a year, Elijah Taylor has gone from fresh-faced first-grader to certain starter in a Warriors side that has no shortage of playing depth. Aaron Lawton finds out what makes the 22-year-old tick.
Before we get any further – Elijah Taylor will not be playing for the Melbourne Storm next year.
For weeks, a rumour has floated about the Auckland league scene linking the talented two-test Kiwi to the competition frontrunners for next year.
Generally, when a team like the Storm want you, you go.
But with another year to run on his contract at Mt Smart Stadium, Taylor couldn't leave the Warriors' clutches, even if he wanted to.
And, just for the record, he has no plans to leave Auckland.
"I'm very happy here," Taylor says. "I'm enjoying the new coach and enjoying the camaraderie within the team. It's a one-of-a-kind sort of place.
"I was talking to [former Auckland Vulcan] Matt Robinson after the Penrith game and he said it's just not the same there at training.
"There's no Manu Vatuvei cracking jokes and it's all so serious.
"I feel privileged to be here and I'm very honoured to be a part of this club."
For what it's worth, rather than cast his eye further afield when he comes off contract at the end of next year, Taylor is more interested in signing a long-term deal with the Warriors.
"That's what the manager is working on at the moment. Hopefully, I get to stay here," he says.
"But, yes, as of right now, I'm contracted until the end of next year."
When asked about the rumours linking him to Melbourne, Taylor – not one who never appears to be short of a nice soundbite – pauses for a second, before directing the query to his manager.
"It's just a rumour," he says. "At the moment, the Warriors are my only focus for this year and next year and I'd love to stay here for a long time."
Manager Ian Miles comfortably deflects the suggestions, saying if there is interest in Taylor from across the Ditch, it's futile.
"We might be on their map, but they haven't made any overtures yet," he says. "He's at the Warriors until the end of 2013. He's happy with that and I know the Warriors are happy with that. End of story, really."
Regardless of the state of negotiations to extend Taylor's stay in Auckland, there's no doubting that, if the Warriors want to keep him, they'll have to upgrade his pay packet.
Ad Feedback
p

The final year of Taylor's contract, 2013, was an option in the club's favour, and given the deal was penned long before he flourished as a first-grader, it's unlikely he's earning the sort of money Sonny Bill Williams would get out of bed for.
Still, as much as he's developed as a player since making his first-grade debut in round four last year, Taylor remains his own harshest critic.
"There are always things to work on. I've said it before, but on attack I know I have to offer a lot more than what I am," he says.
"I'm not doing enough on attack because I'm working a lot harder defensively.
"I just need to improve more in that area and give the boys a decent option so that if they do hit me, I can do something with the football."
That mentality, that desperation to improve with each passing week has been, Taylor admits, both a blessing and a curse during his short career.
Last year, he hardly slept in the buildup to games, and while he was "living the dream" his anxiety meant he had very few of them.
"A lot of people would ask me last year about how much I was enjoying my football," Taylor says.
"I'd sit there, think about it and then have to admit that I wasn't really enjoying it.
"It's hard and, yes, I like winning but this is a tough gig, rugby league, and it's very demanding on your body.
"I'd worry that if I wasn't on my game, I'd be made to look silly out on the field and I know the job's never done."
With an increasing maturity, the backrower's brutal self assessments have softened somewhat this year.
Heading into today's clash against the North Queensland Cowboys in Auckland, Taylor has played all 14 matches in the starting side and finally concedes he's pleased with how he's going.
It all stems back, he says, to actually taking the time to enjoy doing what it is he does for a living.
"I'm enjoying my footy this year," Taylor says.
"I've worked on smelling the flowers a bit more and really learning to chill out and enjoy the company within the team.
"A lot of the boys have said I'm too hard on myself but I've got some high standards that I always want to perform to.
"I think it's the only way to be, the only way to get better anyway."
If he continues to improve at the rate he's been going, the Warriors might want to get out the cheque book or the Storm, amongst others, might come sniffing around again.

MKEB...

Staff member
lol Ian Miles deflecting attention.

Cracking up at the article, even making any comparrison with SBW no matter how small seems ridiculous.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Sao is a gun and clearly took the best option for him.
Manly wont offer him big money, but there is a pathway to replace kite and/or king.

They also signed Mike Chee Kam - one of the other best forward in the nyc.

Sao is from manurewa i.e poor lol and most likely 50k to him would be heaps.
Its more about the fact manly will invest three years in him - i.e they care about his develoment. He has ripped since he has been with the warriors and most improved after only a few years playing league.

tbh he would be top 3 prop in the nyc this year
I believe that type of seeding or performance warrants at the very least a two year deal.

Warriors wld of offered a one year min wage deal.
The warriors like offering one year deals to their graduates such as lousi, ikahihifo etc.
They often can take advantage of the young auckland boys, that they can stay at home etc - they dont always take the best deals on offer.

Simply, Sao has showed much improvement and talent he would overcome both Lousi to become at the least 5th best prop option in the next year or two.

With both rapira going through injury issues he would get plenty of gametime.

Who from the NYC squad? gets upgraded - if they lose taukieaho, then the only forward capable of playing NRL next year is Palavi.

As for backs - I dont rate slaimankhel so he can go for all i care.
The only back would be Hiku if he had a big offseason.