What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1| v Souths | SFS | Thu Mar 7 8pm

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Definitely not crucifying our wingers yet.
RTS in particular is a huge talent, and until last night I hadn't seen any major defensive flaws in his game (maybe others have?).

Our biggest issue is discipline putting us permanently on the back foot. As we saw 2010-2012, we can still win games even when we get belted in the penalties - but not against teams as well drilled as Souths and Melbourne. This MUST be sorted if we want to do anything meaningful.

The second issue is our defensive structure out wide. Something needs to change here, the positioning and timing of our backs has been lacking for 2 years. Rushing up at the wrong time, lack of confidence in inside men, and poor positioning for bombs has us bleeding points. NEEDS FIXING.

The timing in the ruck (how long to hold down etc) will come the more they play together, that will cut out a lot of penalties. That is definitely an area that we are good at IMHO.

Further, the wingers will also get the timing right as the year rolls on, especially in regard to trusting their inside man on defence. When SBW is up to speed, I expect him to defend on the edge which will close up that area of the field.

Valheru

Coach
My concern at the moment with our edge defence is that we didn't buy SBW to be SKD's minder in defence, we bought him to be an attacking weapon. Perhaps moving SBW to the other side and having Aubo/Cordner/Guerra help SKD would be better?

bellyache

Bench
My concern at the moment with our edge defence is that we didn't buy SBW to be SKD's minder in defence, we bought him to be an attacking weapon. Perhaps moving SBW to the other side and having Aubo/Cordner/Guerra help SKD would be better?
Our left side was fine, as you said the right side was found wanting as SKD pushed up to put pressure on GI. If SKD is going to do that we must slide in behind him and the winger must stay on his opposite.. Instead RTS followed him in and our defense didn't slide, Rts is not a winger and the sooner he goes to #1 the better we will be! Defenses need to hold on GI and souths right side and run them into touch[Storm will show other teams the way to defend it]..

Big man

Juniors
I reckon SKD will struggle in defence no matter which team you play, he has never been able to make the right decisions under pressure. Your best option is to play SBW at centre where he will cause absolute havoc outwide, he was a standout for the All Blacks at centre., move RTS to fullback, the kid has natural instinct for kick returns and appears competent under the high ball, my only concern is his ball skills, a good fullback must be able to execute second man plays competently. Mini to the wing, he is your captain and most experienced back, he will not make the same mistakes that that occurred on Thursday. Tough decisions for Trent, lets see how he responds.

Last edited:

Latest posts