What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 v Souths

BLM01

First Grade
The point being made is that we are a famous brand with a huge following and not just in our local area so how does the NRL come up with our club as missing out especially in magic round as we have an massive following in Qld?

I also believe they are suggesting that if the NRL are trying to do something innovative then what better brand to do it with than the Big Red V.
Everyone will get a turn missing out on Magic Round likely except those not based near Brisbane. Who cares it is just another round of football played at a stadium. What are missing out of this year that we got last year except a loss. We get 2 points for the Bye. That will do me if we win today and bag another 2

BLM01

First Grade
ever
Hehe the denial is incredible. The last magic round that was memorable to me is when the comp used Dragons to enforce their new policies on head high contact and Fuimaono was sent off for weeks and McGuire binned. Now these incidents would be play on or a penalty at worst.

The comp treats us with disdain. Newcastle last year, us this year and my money is on the Tigers next year or some other club that doesn't serve their interests.
Everyone gets a turn and Magic Round is here to stay like it or lump it

Everyone will get a turn missing out on Magic Round likely except those not based near Brisbane. Who cares it is just another round of football played at a stadium. What are missing out of this year that we got last year except a loss. We get 2 points for the Bye. That will do me if we win today and bag another 2
And don't underestimate the negative effects of interstate travel. It's bad for players physically, and it disrupts training and preparation.

BLM01

First Grade
The issue for me is we all already well and truly know what team we have.

We have a team that has "senior" players with long standing inherent faults that previous coaches and fans believe could be coached out of them and in the end the fans deciding that the previous coaches were the problem and that the inherent problems still remain.

Flanno has 4 wins up thus far and fans start to believe that perhaps these inherent faults are starting to disappear albeit slowly.

But on closer analysis is that correct for our most senior of players who I believe have had these faults for years some even at other clubs long before they arrived at St GI.

These faults apply to many and varied of our “senior” players and they all contribute to us losing games.

Unfit & fatigue easily
Poor lateral movements
Arm Grabs
Missed tackles
Ruck penalties & 6 agains often in repeat sequences
Dumb as dog shit penalties
Inability to win the wrestle either in defence or attack resulting in slow play the balls and penalties.
Can’t make the add line nor make a 100m regularly
Incapable of scoring long range tries due to total lack of speed
Piss poor kicking game let alone game management
Useless in clutch moments
Incapable of catching a short kick off or LDO either from them or us.

Even if some of the kids have some of these faults at least they are not yet ingrained as is the case with many of our senior players so there is some hope to eliminate some of those things that cost us so dearly so often.

There are a few senior / established players that fall into multiple fault categories and will always fall into them so when will it be time to move on and invest in potential rather than trying to retrain habitual failure
You have described there what most losing teams do every week. Not isolated to us and we are not unfit.
It looks that way when momentum is running opposite or as you say give away dumb penalties and drop the ball. Doing too much defence at NRL level kills any side especially at the back end.
I will say in our wins and even last week our defense is reasonably good
For sure though our achilles heel is our kicking game (no 6 & 7 take note), kick chase as a team and moving up in defense continually not for just the 1st tackle to improve our results

Old Timer

Coach
You have described there what most losing teams do every week. Not isolated to us and we are not unfit.
It looks that way when momentum is running opposite or as you say give away dumb penalties and drop the ball. Doing too much defence at NRL level kills any side especially at the back end.
I will say in our wins and even last week our defense is reasonably good
For sure though our achilles heel is our kicking game (no 6 & 7 take note), kick chase as a team and moving up in defense continually not for just the 1st tackle to improve our results
I would say that Lawrie & Bird are anything but NRL fit and BMM is only fit enough for 20 minutes and by the time his 20 minutes of "wrecking ball" is introduced into the game we are normally too shagged to capitalise on any of it.

Luc is carrying a spare tyre and losing it would be a huge benefit to his output.

Old Timer

Coach
In attack Wighton will most likely play as an extra half to give them an advantage in the spine and "if" they manage to click they will beat us and do so convincingly.

They have many more "game winners / momentum changers" than we do.

If they manage to get any easy roll downfield (esp Cook out of dummy half & the injection of Burgess ) I suspect Latrell to get in around the ruck and cause us a lot of grief in our own 20.

Any advantage we might have before kick off will quickly evaporate with a few illtimed 6 again & ruck penalties.

redv13

Bench
In attack Wighton will most likely play as an extra half to give them an advantage in the spine and "if" they manage to click they will beat us and do so convincingly.

They have many more "game winners / momentum changers" than we do.

If they manage to get any easy roll downfield (esp Cook out of dummy half & the injection of Burgess ) I suspect Latrell to get in around the ruck and cause us a lot of grief in our own 20.

Any advantage we might have before kick off will quickly evaporate with a few illtimed 6 again & ruck penalties.
Cmon OT, time for you to have a cup of confidence. You’re becoming too negative all the time, not for good for your health. Yes you’re frustrated, yes you hate Flanno and don’t want him to be the coach. Get on board mate and cheer on the red V to destroy the bunnies

maestro1

Bench
Anasta has been trying to motivate Latrell all week. He suddenly wants to mentor him and tell him what he expects from him. He keeps telling him to charge the ball back from kicks and not offload to his wingers. Anasta was average in his playing days. How he keeps getting called a "legend" demeans the true meaning of a "legend" footballer.

jeffdragon

Bench
Who cares about Magic Round? We've got a great draw this year. Last year, missing round 1, we had a wasted bye. Our first bye comes at a perfect time for us. Magic Round would have been extra interstate travel, and possibly the loss of a home game. It's better this way. The goal is not to be in the spotlight. The goal is to win games and, ultimately, win the comp.
We will.play Penrith in origin period Broncs too no Reynollds or Walsh.
No Turbo v Manly.
Even though we won't have Hunt in those first 2.
Opportunity knocks.

Anasta has been trying to motivate Latrell all week. He suddenly wants to mentor him and tell him what he expects from him. He keeps telling him to charge the ball back from kicks and not offload to his wingers. Anasta was average in his playing days. How he keeps getting called a "legend" demeans the true meaning of a "legend" footballer.
Not a legend. And he was probably overrated. But surely he was well above average!

Team lists are finalised.

JDB starting lock.
Eisenhuth righ edge.

Probably RFM comes onto right edge after 30 and Eisenhuth moves to middle.

Souths bench looks weak defensively. We should dominate the 15 minutes either side of halftime.

Latest posts