What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 Magic Round - BYE

Dragon David

First Grade
It is good that the Dragons have a bye next week during Magic Round. It should help some of the boys who have soreness etc time to heal and have a few days rest. It also gives us two more points which will take us to 12 points on the ladder, distancing us away from the wooden spoon. We then play the Bulldogs at Accor Stadium and they will be tough to crack, but we can tough it out with them and it will likely be a close game.

You'd say avoiding the spoon is looking likely at this point which if you stop and think about it, would be an accomplishment for sure. Considering the shambles our club is in we owe a thanks to the coach and players for that. Of course not certain yet. My mindset is 'we are the worst team' but the ladder definitely proves that wrong.

I'm not predicting we will maintain the 50% win rate as I still think today showed we have to work super hard just to remain competitive against the lowest teams in the comp. We have so many established players so I find it hard to see how we improve tremendously in the back half of the year and the reason I would have loved to see Couchman today. We struggle to win the territory game so badly. Those runs up the middle today from the likes of JDB need to happen every week.

That said. If we can really focus on defence which has been ok most of the year, and then employ a patient attacking game (repeat sets) we may taste success a handful more times yet.

The bye comes at a great time. Mostly because our blokes seem to like to celebrate a win and not back it up the next week. No can do this time!

justadragon

Bench
Dogs have been playing some good footy, if you have a look, the whole club is going fine, check out the lower grades. I'm hoping we can at least start to build some strength across our lower grades for the rest of this year holding us in good stead for next season

TheRev

First Grade
You'd say avoiding the spoon is looking likely at this point which if you stop and think about it, would be an accomplishment for sure. Considering the shambles our club is in we owe a thanks to the coach and players for that. Of course not certain yet. My mindset is 'we are the worst team' but the ladder definitely proves that wrong.

I'm not predicting we will maintain the 50% win rate as I still think today showed we have to work super hard just to remain competitive against the lowest teams in the comp. We have so many established players so I find it hard to see how we improve tremendously in the back half of the year and the reason I would have loved to see Couchman today. We struggle to win the territory game so badly. Those runs up the middle today from the likes of JDB need to happen every week.

That said. If we can really focus on defence which has been ok most of the year, and then employ a patient attacking game (repeat sets) we may taste success a handful more times yet.

The bye comes at a great time. Mostly because our blokes seem to like to celebrate a win and not back it up the next week. No can do this time!
Every win is massive for us.. and its crucial we keep having luck with injury, and origin plays a big risk for us in that regard, with Hunt, Lomax and Sua all likely to play in the series.

But spoon is definitely not out of grasp.. only the tigers are really underperforming out of the usual crew like the Titans, Raiders, Dogs.. all of them look very capable of going on a run.. Warriors will surely go on a run also.. Souths are a smokey, but their draw does get much easier from here and with injured players returning..

Thats what makes it hard to predict the spoon.. I reckon a lot of teams will be on very similar points come end of season... itll be a stressful dogfight if we are still with them.

Parko1310

Juniors
Whoever gets picked for Origin I from our squad, we will likely be without them for two games as well. We play Tigers on Friday night, so it will be difficult for anyone to back up. We'd obviously be without them for the previous game against Panthers as well.

Victoire

Juniors
Having the bye it's as good a time as ever to pause and review where we are for the season. The objective for 2024 and I would suggest most fans' hope was that we'd progress from being a shit team, to being an ok team. With hopefully that trajectory to continue in 2025 into a good team and so on.

Taking that long view, the team is very early in it's journey (hence a couple of mentally fragile moments and floggings) but I daresay the signs are good. The new additions to the team have almost all contributed positively, a few players are producing career best (or close to) form, and the team's revamped attack and defence have both shown potential. Flanagan was quoted in pre-season that he didn't even know what our defensive structures were in 2024, if we even had one. They've clearly fallen into those bad habits at times, especially under some adversity. But it's early days, there's been enough good stuff there in defence to retain some hope.

Maintaining a 50% win rate for the rest of the year would be a strong result and worth aiming for. A big improvement from last year. We could do worse. Could we do better? Well, in pre-season a lot of people were pointing to the Warriors turnaround in 2023 and hoping we could match it. After 10 rounds last year they were also 5-5. Just sayin'

TheRev

First Grade
will be rly pi$$ed if we drop that tigers game, they are the team most likely for the spoon, and we need to ram them home.

Losing Hunt, Lomax or Su'a individually I think we can handle, its just missing them all at once.. its possible Su'a goes to origin camp but doesnt play which is a bit better of a result perhaps.

As long as Luciano is fit we cover Su'a OK.... otherwise RyanC is up... Marshke for Hunt, and one of Ctui/Tamale/SFinau on the wing, again assuming everyone else is fit..

I suspect the wing choice will be a little bit strategic in terms of tamales contract or whatever is going on for CTui right now. There must be a bit of frustration for SFinau in there also.

Parko1310

Juniors
will be rly pi$$ed if we drop that tigers game, they are the team most likely for the spoon, and we need to ram them home.

Losing Hunt, Lomax or Su'a individually I think we can handle, its just missing them all at once.. its possible Su'a goes to origin camp but doesnt play which is a bit better of a result perhaps.

As long as Luciano is fit we cover Su'a OK.... otherwise RyanC is up... Marshke for Hunt, and one of Ctui/Tamale/SFinau on the wing, again assuming everyone else is fit..

I suspect the wing choice will be a little bit strategic in terms of tamales contract or whatever is going on for CTui right now. There must be a bit of frustration for SFinau in there also.
Next 4 games are crucial to our season. All four are winnable. I'm nervous though.. particularly for Panthers and Tigers. Like you say, we can handle one player being out (maybe), but if we have two or three out, we just don't have the squad to handle it. The prospect of a K Flanagan halves pairing with Marschke/Brown/Bird really worries me, it's a deadset reserves pairing whichever way we go. Which is why quite selfishly for our club, I'd rather Su'a and Lomax aren't picked. I'd be happy for them personally obviously, but I think we go 1-3 or 2-2 over the next 4 if we have three origin players.

Panthers still have a good team even with their origin players out. Their front row will be completely in tact, they'll still probably have Edwards, May, Tago, and Alamoti is good cover for them. They'll still likely have Luai. Tigers probably only have one origin player (Api), maybe two if Madge goes with Stefano. I'm not sure we win that game if we've got 2 or 3 out considering origin players won't back up. Dogs game is really crucial to get the two points, and I think we can cover Manly going into our second bye. I'd love to win all 4, and it is achievable depending on origin selections. Flano really needs to get them up for this next month, it's a big one, (we also don't really travel, we play all Sydney teams). So, going 3-1 will be a pass mark for me, but like I say, I'm nervous

Dragon David

First Grade
Next 4 games are crucial to our season. All four are winnable. I'm nervous though.. particularly for Panthers and Tigers. Like you say, we can handle one player being out (maybe), but if we have two or three out, we just don't have the squad to handle it. The prospect of a K Flanagan halves pairing with Marschke/Brown/Bird really worries me, it's a deadset reserves pairing whichever way we go. Which is why quite selfishly for our club, I'd rather Su'a and Lomax aren't picked. I'd be happy for them personally obviously, but I think we go 1-3 or 2-2 over the next 4 if we have three origin players.

Panthers still have a good team even with their origin players out. Their front row will be completely in tact, they'll still probably have Edwards, May, Tago, and Alamoti is good cover for them. They'll still likely have Luai. Tigers probably only have one origin player (Api), maybe two if Madge goes with Stefano. I'm not sure we win that game if we've got 2 or 3 out considering origin players won't back up. Dogs game is really crucial to get the two points, and I think we can cover Manly going into our second bye. I'd love to win all 4, and it is achievable depending on origin selections. Flano really needs to get them up for this next month, it's a big one, (we also don't really travel, we play all Sydney teams). So, going 3-1 will be a pass mark for me, but like I say, I'm nervous
I'd be happy if we come out with a 2w/2l result in the next 4 games. 0w/4l would be disastrous while 1w/3l would be disappointing and 3w/1l would be great and lastly, 4w/0l would be outstanding. So my pick to be happy I suppose would be as stated.

TheRev

First Grade
I dont expect/assume anything from any of our games really.. especially with origin... feels like we have days where things work out and days where we are very pedestrian... I just dont respect our roster to be capable of too much more, the class isnt there.. the hands.. the finishing touches.. its like rolling dice if we turn half breaks into something... I'm really just driven by the hope of 2025 signings.. and try to get a glimpse of the future we are working so hard to reach... far outs its been a long wait to sign some talent.

The dogs though are playing very solid footy, every game theyve been in.. and its a Dogs home game.. I think they will be favourites.. but its also a game we can obviously win... and the week off I think will be great, im sure the players will get a little rest, but its also a chance to finally stop... and work on some areas we can improve.. and possibly if he was considering couchie for a bench spot... now would be a good time to drop him in.

Last edited:

SEAT 1A

Bench
Two from four is realistic.

Chance with Manly with no Turbo can't see getting over Pennies at Pennies.

Still got enough time to erase the - points but Cows, Eels and NZ will come good at some time.

Slackboy72

Coach
Having the bye it's as good a time as ever to pause and review where we are for the season. The objective for 2024 and I would suggest most fans' hope was that we'd progress from being a shit team, to being an ok team. With hopefully that trajectory to continue in 2025 into a good team and so on.

I want to feel less shame.