What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Knights

GongPanther

Referee
I didn't like Hardaker smiling/borderline laughing after he dropped the ball and kicked it out

A light hearted joke he shared on field with the other players.When you are in front by a mile,they would be a little blasé about it.

TheFrog

Coach
OOOOh my bad. Still, we can now give the Storm a call and negotiate one point each for the abandoned game and we will have secured the MP.

Moylans best game of the year. Was never in doubt locked up at 6 all despite only 39% possession. Errors still a slight concern. Our defence in that first forty gave me confidence too that it would be an easy win come full time. Blake also looked strong.

Can't understand the hate for hardaker
Give the guy a f**kin break
Christ you lot bag griffen
Carry on like tosses abt Moylan to 5/8th
14y old keyboard warriors wanting to take everyone on
just enjoy the win for f**ks sake without whinge
Nice whinge

mxlegend99

Referee
Missed the first half. Will Blake miss a few weeks for his hit on Mamo?
Looked bad but was only a penalty offence wasnt it?

Wasn't high or a shoulder charge or dangerous throw etc. He just got him early with poor timing. If he was charged he could argue the blocker obstructed his run and made contact with him helping cause it.

I doubt anything more comes of it. Hope not as he's starting to come good in attack now.

tripster

Juniors
It is nice to get a big win (even over average opposition) and to see Moylan play probably his best game of the season.

However, I was pretty concerned with how we played in the first half. We dropped a ton of ball and gave away a lot of silly penalties. The Knights were basically camped in our end, and whilst it was good to keep them out, they didn't really have much to throw at us.

If we play the same way in the first half against our upcoming opposition (Tigers, Titans or Manly), we'll be down 20-0 by half time.

maple_69

Bench
Rubbish first half. We never got out of third. Glad we put them to the sword though. All these points are getting our backs in form.

I think our defence has been improving a lot in the last month. They are coming up together and not leaving huge holes all over the place.

We'll need to be much better next week but some encouraging signs, 2 points and a boos in the f/a.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Ok we won.

But f**k Newcastle were probably the worst team since the Roosters in 67.

We need to invent ultra sticky panther jizz to stop us dropping the ball so often.

Still with young players consistency is hard to get.

Moylan Mansour and peach were good.
The others were ok in patches.

Hope we have "on" games from now or my brain will explode.

Bob

Juniors
I hope the club sticks by him.He has the potential.And is only coming to terms the requirements of the NRL.

My bet is that he must have had indifferent form before he came here,because I doubt they would have done the swap if he was killing it.
He did have indifferent form

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/3cc2132bc03a0e2ada050bb3d83b4f35

Penrith’s Zak Hardaker opens up about his battle with personal demons
3cc2132bc03a0e2ada050bb3d83b4f35

MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Sunday Telegraph
August 13, 2016 8:00pm
Subscriber only
3cc2132bc03a0e2ada050bb3d83b4f35

ZAK Hardaker’s life was spiralling out of control. His world had become “pretty dark”. He sat for days alone in his house with just bottles of alcohol keeping him company, refusing to go to training.

Prescription drugs became an issue and Hardaker was now a shadow of the man who had months before won England’s Man of Steel as the best player in the English Super League, and had led Leeds to premiership success.

For so long Hardaker has bottled up his emotions. Forced to wear the stigma surrounded by an untimely exit for Leeds, as he sought refuge in Australia and the Panthers. But in a heartfelt interview

5f37a66ebca7ed0177759c6d2edb3d41

Panthers import Zak Hardaker left England after struggling through a “dark” time.
Hardaker reveals how the loss of an unborn baby by his ex-partner had led to his world shutting down.

“My life became a bit of a blur to be honest,” Hardaker said. “It was a difficult period for me. It got pretty dark. I was having problems with my girlfriend at the time. It was tough.

“I didn’t cope with it too well. I didn’t know what to do. I sat myself in a little corner and didn’t move for a week. It was a dark time. If there is anything I’ve learnt, there is more to life than the bottom of a drink.”

Hardaker’s problems were exacerbated by the use of prescription drugs. While adamant illicit drugs were not used, Hardaker admitted to mixing alcohol with diazepam, a muscle relaxant, and tramadol, a pain reliever.

“That’s all it was,” Hardaker said. “Mix it with alcohol it doesn’t go too well. I learnt the hard way.”

Naturally as his world crumbled his football suffered. Hardaker was burdened with recapturing the form which set the competition alight last year. But as his performances dwindled so did that of a Leeds team who slumped to the bottom of the ladder, winning just four of the 12 games Hardaker played this year.

“People kept asking me what was wrong with my performance but I didn’t think I was doing too bad,” Hardaker said.

“But the year before I was so good. I didn’t realise how big of a difference it was. I was going to training and not being the same bloke. I’m quite a happy chap, and play up to people and smile. For a good month or two I was not myself and people noticed.

“I spoke to (coach) Brian (McDermott). I don’t know if he was fully aware of what was happening, and neither were the boys. I rang him up one day and said I wasn’t coming in. I didn’t want to turn up in some kind of state. So I sat at home. I don’t think I came in for three or four days.

“I got a head knock the week before so I wasn’t going to be playing, so I must’ve thought it was an opportunity to loosen up.

“It got to the point where I didn’t want to go to training. I didn’t want to play any more. It was bad. I was in a hole.”
A relationship breakup and living on his own made Hardaker feel isolated. He spoke with a psychiatrist who helped turn his life around.

“You need to get it off your chest,” Hardaker said. “Someone who had some ideas on how to help you. It was brilliant for me. He saw progression in me in just two weeks. From there I’ve pushed a few things away and embraced others.

“I lived with my mum and stepdad until I was about 22-23. Mum knew me inside and out. If I walked downstairs she’d know if I didn’t have a good nights sleep. She is a good judge of character. Being on my own and being secluded, you don’t talk to anyone.
“You live and learn and if you’re happy off the pitch it does reflect on it.”
Hardaker’s life had turnaround before he moved to the Panthers. It was a frank discussion with McDermott which instigated the move. Hardaker was told by the coach that he had lost his stranglehold on the No.1 jersey, with McDermott wanting to push youngster Liam Sutcliffe to fullback.
“Playing for Leeds was brilliant,” Hardaker said. “Leaving had nothing to do with Leeds. It was people where I lived. It’s a bit of a dog-eat-dog world and if people don’t like you, they just tell you and there isn’t much you could do about it.

“I got fed up and wanted a change and challenge. I had to come away. It’s not the ideal thing but I needed to get out of the way and come out here. The reason I didn’t stay was I wanted to help out the team. I wanted to stay but once Brian told me that I thought it was a good chance to leave and coming to Penrith was a no-brainer.”
Settled in just five minutes from Penrith’s home ground, Hardaker’s smile has returned. He is contracted to return to Leeds at the end of this season and remains committed to return unless another opportunity NRL opportunity arises.

Despite starring in England, he has spent the bulk of his six games sitting on the interchange bench.

“I’m used to playing 80 minutes so it’s a different role but I understood the role I would be playing before I came out,” Hardaker said. “It’s not a shock to me. Life is a different kind of pace to back home.

“I’ve come out of everything a lot stronger. I’ve cracked on with life with a smile on my face. I’m only 24 and I’ve made some mistakes but it’s about learning from them. It’s not an ideal thing to go through but it’s something that’s happened.”

Doomednow

Bench
Our completion rate for the first 50 minutes was ugly af.

We won though. Yew. And we put enough points on them.

Doomednow

Bench
Also, I used to love Simmons because the guy was a great finisher. Mansour has really taken on that mantle. On top of his awesome strong runs. He'll reliably beat the defenders and get it down in the corners.

Fibroman

First Grade
A lot of mistakes but some really good ballwork to get some of those 2nd half tries. Well done boys. Good win.

Latest posts