What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23

CyberKev

Staff member
Getting in very early...

Hawthorn vs West Coast (MCG)
Geelong vs Sydney (SS)
Adelaide vs Gold Coast (AAMI)
GWS vs North Melbourne (Skoda)
Essendon vs Collingwood (MCG)
Fremantle vs Melbourne (PS)
Carlton vs St Kilda (Etihad)
Richmond vs Port Adelaide (MCG)
Brisbane vs Western Bulldogs (Gabba)

CyberKev

Staff member
Plenty of ramifications to flow from these results.

There is some concern being raised about teams being unfairly positioned due to their fixture times but, frankly, I can't see that all 8 confirmed finalists wouldn't be wanting to go all out here.

It wasn't that long ago that we would have been expecting the Magpies/Bombers and Blues/Saints games to be about more than they will be.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
ironic that those top two games will shape the finals and more specifically home finals, yet they are both being played in Melbourne

AuckMel

Bench

Hawks by 10

Geelong vs Sydney (SS)

Cats by 22

Adelaide by 54

North by 26

Pies by 14

Freo by 44

Saints by 10

Tigers by 336

Lions by 34

James-Stewart

Juniors

Hawks by 10

Geelong vs Sydney (SS)

Cats by 22

Adelaide by 54

North by 26

Pies by 14

Freo by 44

Saints by 10

Tigers by 336

Lions by 34
You're going to have egg on your face Sunday evening, Auckward!

IowaRL

Juniors
Auckmel, I didn't realise Richmond had such an injury list to have such a narrow predicted winning margin? I also think the North game will be at least 7 goals.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so much for Swans for minor premiers, still not good enough to win in Melbourne atm, maybe in a year or two

CyberKev

Staff member
so much for Swans for minor premiers, still not good enough to win in Melbourne atm, maybe in a year or two

To win in Victoria, is what you're trying to say, I think, given that Corio is not Melbourne (yet).

In fairness, they did beat geelong at home last year and have won 5 of their past 7 at Etihad Stadium.

Its the MCG where the real challenge seems to lie.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeh thats what I meant, did they beat anyone of note in those games ?

Swans have a good young squad but I dont see them bothering the heavyweights at Etihad or MCG just yet, maybe in a year or 2

Cats haven't played out of Corio for about 40-50 years, Skilled Park is in Moorabool St, Sth Geelong

CyberKev

Staff member
Corio is old, World of Sport, shorthand for Geelong...

Sydney only played sides outside the 8 at Etihad this year, so its hard to read a lot into it, although that ground may be the closest thing the comp has to the SCG.

The Swans have only won 5 times at the MCG since saluting in the 2005 decider and three of those wins came in 2006 and included wins against struggling Hawthorn and Richmond sides.

Over the same period they have lost 14 games and drew 1.

Technically they've only won one of their past eleven matches at the venue.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think both Swans and Crows form has dropped off a bit in the last few rounds.

CyberKev

Staff member
Swans form was fine against the Hawks a fornight ago in one of -if not the - best game of the year.

Hawthorn struggled late against the Eagles, following that hard game, and I suggested that Sydney might do likewise against the Cats, particularly with the latter easing through a soft clash against the Bulldogs the week before.

Adelaide & Swans will be fascinating.

I'm leaning toward the Crows, given that Sydney have a poor record against them, but I expect the Swans to come at them hard.