What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs. Gold Coast Titans Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Gold Coast Titans vs. Dolphins
Cbus Super Stadium, Saturday 30 March 2024
Kick Off: 6:35pm (AEST)

GOLDCOAST2024.png

1. Jayden Campbell 2. Alofiana Khan-Pereira 3. Brian Kelly 4. AJ Brimson 5. Phillip Sami 6. Kieran Foran 7. Tanah Boyd 8. Moeaki Fotuaika 9. Chris Randall 10. Keenan Palasia 11. Klese Haas 12. Beau Fermor 13. Jaimin Jolliffe

14. Sam Verrills 15. Isaac Liu 16. Erin Clark 17. Joe Stimson

18. David Fifita 19. Jojo Fifita 20. Harley Smith-Shields 21. Thomas Weaver 22. Josiah Pahulu

DOLPHINS2024.png

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 2. Jamayne Isaako 3. Jake Averillo 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Jack Bostock 6. Kodi Nikorima 7. Isaiya Katoa 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Thomas Flegler 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Euan Aitken 13. Max Plath

14. Josh Kerr 15. Kurt Donoghoe 16. Mark Nicholls 17. Ray Stone

18. Kenny Bromwich 19. Sean O'Sullivan 20. Oryn Keeley 21. Tesi Niu 22. Mason Teague

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
I hope you're all enjoying the weekend off, the Dolphins will be back at it when they play the Gold Coast Titans. The Dolphins hold an unbeaten record against the Gold Coast in the NRL and will be looking to extend that next week.

The Dolphins will welcome back Kodi Nikorima and Ray Stone after both served their 11-day stand down concussion protocols. Kenny Bromwich could also factor in after he was overlooked for Kurt Donoghoe against the Dragons.

Meanwhile the Gold Coast should welcome back Jayden Campbell but will be without Tino Fa'asuamaleaui after the Test forward suffered a serious knee injury against the Bulldogs. David Fifita remains an outside chance of playing. After going down 32-0 to the Bulldogs, I'd expect some major changes and will be looking for a big start. The Dolphins will need to match them early.

Surprisingly the Dolphins are actually considered the outsiders by the bookies. I would have thought this would be one of the rare games where they start as favourites. It's a winnable game for the Dolphins and as long as they respect the football they should be too strong in the middle for the Gold Coast.

Puff

First Grade
If we stick with what ran out against the dragons we should be okay here

Big Pete

Referee
Kodi Nikorima and Ray Stone will line up for the Dolphins as they look to continue their unbeaten run against the Gold Coast. The Dolphins haven't won back to back games since the early rounds of 2023, so this will be a golden opportunity to establish some early season form.

Meanwhile the Gold Coast will have their backs up against the wall following last week's effort against the Bulldogs. They couldn't be much worse, so the Dolphins will need to watch out for the fast start and make sure they match the intensity and go set for set early.

Interestingly Jarrod Wallace wasn't named as one of the reserves for the Dolphins. No word on whether Jarrod suffered an injury and since QCup is on break for the Easter weekend, there's no sign of him in reserve grade. I presume he's been left out and the Devil's affiliates are being recognised after another strong showing on the weekend.

Puff

First Grade
I am confident.

No SOS, coming off the back of a good performance, and I think we should be too strong up front.

Big Pete

Referee
Dolphins 30 (Jack Bostock 2, Herbie Farnworth, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Josh Kerr tries; Jamayne Isaako 5/5 goals) def. Gold Coast Titans 14

2-1

Phins Up!

It was another hard fought win for the Dolphins who found themselves down 10-0 early in the contest, but ultimately ran out to a comfortable 30-14 victory.

The Dolphins were left shell-shock early when the Titans raced in two early tries. The first coming off a ricochet from a Brian Kelly kick. The Titans were making easy in-roads through the middle and it just left the Dolphins vulnerable on their own line. While there was an element of good luck, the Titans made it so by simply out-playing the Dolphins early.

The second was on the back of Averillo jamming in on Haas which forced Bostock to come in and allowed Brimson to simply draw and pass for Sami. It was a well executed play from the Gold Coast, but by the same token it was poor communication from the defence. Bostock was caught in no man's land and somebody had to cut down Brimson's time and space.

The Dolphins were able to graft their way back into the contest through some slick hands for Bostock. Once the territory and field positon began to even up, the Dolphins started to show their composure and the Titans were guilty of making soft choices and mistakes.

This was made crystal clear following the sin-binning of Max Plath after an ugly hip drop tackle. Just quietly, I'd be interested to see how the MRC/Judiciary see this as I believe the point of the hip has to trap the leg. From the vision, it appeared Plath's hip was on the ground, but then the side of his rib came into contact with Sami's ankle.

Regardless it was an ugly tackle and Plath appeared remorseful the moment it happened. Fortunately for the Dolphins, this seemed to galvanise them and they handled the 10 minute period far better than the Titans. The Gold Coast made mistake after mistake and the Dolphins nearly scored with one less player. Once the sides were even, it didn't take long for the Dolphins to score, with Bostock stepping the incoming to defence to jot down in the corner. Isaako with the sideline conversion gave the Dolphins an unlikely lead heading into half-time.

The Gold Coast created the opening change of the half with a nice inside/outside play for Campbell, but they couldn't capitilise and slowly but surely the Dolphins were able to take control of the contest. It eventually came in the 57th minute, with Bromwich initiating a nice spread to put Farnworth into space. Herbie was able to link up with Isaako who drew in the fullback before handing it back to Herbie to score his maiden premiership try.

Then moments later it was the other recruit Thomas Flegler getting the big bumper bars up, fending off two before the Hammer came screaming onto a pass. Then to put the cherry on top Kerr scored underneath the uprights and the Phins were well and truly home.

The only thing that dampened the result was a late try to Phillip Sami. It was the exact same set play as before, except Bostock jammed in on Brimson and the rest of the team failed to account for Sami. I doubt it dampened any of the celebrations, but that will be something I'm sure the coaches will take notice of through out the week.

With that win, the Dolphins go on top of the table and it's the first back to back win since the start of the 2023 season. It should put them in good stead for the Tigers game and I'm sure the Dolphins will want to avenage their heart-breaking loss from last season.

I thought the forwards proved the difference. Bromwich and Kaufusi had a big presence, Flegler continued to impress and the bench proved too strong for the Gold Coast. Especially when the Dolphins were down to 12, the Dolphins were steely in defence and made the Gold Coast offence look second rate. The backs also ran the ball back nicely and in Isaako, Bostock and Farnworth helped the Dolphins maintain their momentum through till the second half.

Big Pete

Referee
You never want to see anyone get injured on the field, so it was great to see Sami finish the game. Fingers crossed that there's nothing else to worry about for Sami.

That reverse angle doesn't look great.

I thought from the behind he may have got his hip down before coming into contact. Live I was fine with the decision to sin-bin but thought it would require further scrutiny for it to incur a charge.

I'd say he'll cop a Grade 3 Dangerous Contact and miss a couple of weeks.