What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs Cowboys

PinkPanther

Juniors
Okay, here we go.

Some really soft defence both outwide and in the middle. Kite was blamed last week for his defence, but this week it's a number of players. Our attack wasn't much better either. We had over 30 tackles in their 20 but only managed 2 tries. Cowboys made metres too easy and Ivan has to address this and work on this. Another thing I have noticed that we aren't doing is putting enough pressure on the kicker, which has been a problem all year for us. Credit to Cowboys goal line defence, they held us out pretty well in the second half. Even with Soward in the team, we wouldn't have won.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Has Cartwright been told to reign everything in? He was more or less indistinguishable from Yeo tonight, at least the part of the game I saw.

TheFrog

Coach
Wallace is a shit half. It's that simple. Sure, our forward pack is weak, but I don't see why that suddenly makes Wallace bullet proof.

He does mountains of tackling every game, including this one. But he needs a creative 6 outside him, no doubt about it.

meek

Juniors
Not confident of a panther win until Soward is back
Maybe the so called experts who had panthers top 4 side
More like Panthers bottom 4
We wont beat anyone without Soward with Wallace directing play in his abscence

chrisD

Coach
Everyone played pretty shit, but that will fix itself.

Left hand side defence is puss. Cleary has fixed it before he can fix it again. Soward coming back will probably do most the work. It's no one player, it's just not functioning as a team, but if it is any one player it's Mansour.

Yeah Wallace is "solid". But you can carry a half without an ounce of creativity or ball playing or running when you got three other spine players who are guns.

The front row however, there's nothing for that junk but a bullet to the head. They're all shit, including Latimore. The song and dance made for Plum's return followed by him getting stopped dead on his first run was comical. May as well play Anderson, he's not likely any better but he might be here next season. Merrin might not even be enough to get our front row close enough so our backs can win something. When is BMM back? He should have been in the 17 round 1, that was a mistake by Cleary.

GongPanther

Referee
That cohesion and unity that was evident from last year hasn't been with us since that first 50 minutes against the Bulldogs in round 1.

My hunch is that the players have been reading too much into the press and have made the semis 21 weeks early.

Still though,it's early days and a couple of wins on the trot will see us back in high spirits.

mxlegend99

Referee
Mansour is a HUGE liability. He's a beast with the ball in hand,but likely to drop it fighting for penalties or throwing dumb offloads, has poor hands and terrible positioning for a winger.

Blake was good for the most part, looked happy with first grade contact and made some good tackles, had a few good runs and showed a glimpse of his potential.

Wallace and (insert half here) don't work unless that half is Soward. He's not good enough, and we need to look at partnering Soward with a competent player at fill strength.

Idris looked good in the forwards, but didn't get enough game time. Cowboys pack looked much better once Idris was off and Peachey was on.

mxlegend99

Referee
Round 6 team should be:

1. Moylan
2. Gennings
3. Idris
4. Blake
5. DWZ
6. Korisau
7. Wallace :(
8. Latimore
9. Segeyaro
10. Mckendry
11. Cartwright
12. Yeo
13. Taylor

14. Plum
15. RCG
16. Peachey
17. Anderson

Mansour may have repped Australia, but George Jennings was better on the wing for us. Ideally we could put Moylan into the halves and hopefully find someone first grade standard to partner Soward, but injuries are limiting what we can do.

3 losses in a row now, all winnable games. No reason to think we will come good before Soward comes back either. Changes need to be made.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Moylan again tonight seemed very timid going down for kicks put through at him on the ground with the opposition bearing down on him. (the Coote try)

abpanther

Staff member
I don't know how people can be having a go at DWZ and Blake, they did what they could with absolutely no quality ball

Puntastic

Juniors
Unfortunately Wallace will be our dominant creative half until Soward returns which may be as late as rd 10. We used to be able to grind out wins and that's something we're currently lacking. I don't really know why.

I think we ought to stick with a 5/8 option. Consistency is important and will start to gel the longer we persist. I don't know how long Api trained at 5/8 this week but despite his natural ability he looked pretty green. I thought John was the obvious long term choice, but that said I have no problem sticking with Api so long as we stick with SOMEONE.

mxlegend99

Referee
John is deadset average. Stick with Api until Soward is back unless we are willing to move Moylan and stick with it.

We're losing games as it is, we might aswell be taking some steps forward as we do. Losing with the same old shit hurts more then seeing changes like Blake in, Idris to the second row, Korisau getting a run at half etc.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
We had chances in the opposition 20, but our attacking plays are poor, and Wallace is terrible at getting repeat sets. Basically the only thing that ever works from time to time is the same old "Wallace dumping it out back to Moylan entering the backline down our right and hoping that the opposition makes a shit read" play.

BuddPanther

Juniors
The blueprint was pasted for all to see again 2nite. Test the refs with the offside plays, lay all over the ruck and slow the Panther plays down but don't be afraid to give a few penalties away early for it. Follow this and you will beat the Panthers every time
Chooks,Knights and now the Cows have copied the exact game plan and it has worked a treat. Ivan you have some serious thinking to do!!

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
The blueprint was pasted for all to see again 2nite. Test the refs with the offside plays, lay all over the ruck and slow the Panther plays down but don't be afraid to give a few penalties away early for it. Follow this and you will beat the Panthers every time
Chooks,Knights and now the Cows have copied the exact game plan and it has worked a treat. Ivan you have some serious thinking to do!!

Yep, and it's because letting the Panthers having a crack at your line with a set defense is not the most intimidating thing in the world. Better than letting us get a roll on with quick play the balls, which is the only thing that can possibly keep us in a game.

franklin2323

Immortal
It's 2011 all over again. A young team of players devoid of new ideas and struggle the next year..

The axe needs to wielded by Ivan

franklin2323

Immortal
Wallace is a shit half. It's that simple. Sure, our forward pack is weak, but I don't see why that suddenly makes Wallace bullet proof.

Trust me, no-one's wet dream has Wallace as the senior half charged with leading the team around, kicking astutely, and creating chances. No-one. Not even Wallace himself, I wager.

Yep Soward had a terrible forward pack and got us to a game off the GF last year

franklin2323

Immortal
Everyone played pretty shit, but that will fix itself.

Left hand side defence is puss. Cleary has fixed it before he can fix it again. Soward coming back will probably do most the work. It's no one player, it's just not functioning as a team, but if it is any one player it's Mansour.

Your defence works in. If the winger is on the winger it should all line up. The winger being no where just leaves players inside in no mans land

Sadly me and a few others wanting him to comeback via NSW Cup have been proven correct

mxlegend99

Referee
Weird thing is he killed it in his first game back aside from his poor defensive reads, and has quickly gone to how you would expect a player with no off season to perform.

Gennings would be better

Latest posts