What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 (2006) Sharks v Raiders

The Piper

Juniors
Cronulla Sharks v Canberra Raiders

Venue: Central Coast Stadium
ground_centralcoast_1.jpg

Crowd: TBA Referee: antonius

• This is a game thread only, therefore only game-related posts can be made here. Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.

• Home team captain will be allowed 3 reserves, visiting captain will be allowed 2 reserves.

• Captains must post their entire team (including reserves) before posting and only those players listed may play this round.

Rules of play: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp

Full Time: WEDNESDAY 12TH JULY at 9:00PM (SYD TIME)

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

griffo346

First Grade
f7s_sharks_1.gif

Run on
Griffo346
Marc Herbert
Mayor_Quimby
Bookie
GoTheBears

Bench
Waken
Griffette346
glockers

Good luck to both sides lets go sharkies

Red Bear

Referee
After some injury setbacks, year 11 setbacks and NZ Wedding setbacks GoTheBears finally makes his much anticipated debut for the Sharkies forum 7's side, stepping past the defense and slipping a nice little article through the backline for the rest of the team to capitalise on (i hope)
---------------------------------------------------------------
A Rant

What’s happened? 11 years I’ve been watching league, 11 straight years before this season and every year there have been twists and turns, exciting teams and surprises.

Except perhaps season 2006. Why is this? Why does the game suddenly seem stagnate, slightly boring and predictable? What has happened to that game I really did love???

Well a few things really, if you look into it. Firstly, something that has been mentioned on these boards before. The game is being made for athletes these days, not footballers. It’s a rare thing to have a Nathan Hindmarsh type player these days, a guy who wouldn’t make it in a dozen after athletic pursuits but is a pure and simple footballer, built for tackling and running into blokes. Offloading also. With the emphasis on attack we have some fine attacking weapons around eg Bowen, Slater, Hunt etc. Good to watch you might say but the common theme is the weak link in defence that they all are. These athletes use the agility and speed they have for football, yet these guys are overlooked in defence and are ran through constantly. The emphasis on attack has seen a lot less well rounded footballers in the modern day game, less guys like Fittler and Johns who were brilliant at both attack and defence, and the game’s are weaker due to this.

Secondly of course there is a few simple facts.
1. My team doesn’t currently play in first grade
2. I have no interest in any of the current top sides
3. World Cups on – Australia doing something in a global sport!

Finally, one part of our game, as much as I hate to admit it, is affecting the quality of the current competition. The salary cap.
Originally, I was all for this. Basically thought what could be better, a system whereby competition is controlled so that teams become more even, more competitive and we see closer competition. In theory an excellent idea, but I’m afraid to say it has not worked. Roosters and Manly still spend big and sure, maybe the chooks have come back to the field, but south’s are still crap and the big buys generally just shuffle around the ‘bigger’ clubs eg Anasta from Canterbury to East’s. The only clubs that survive/push up past this are the ones who actually develop talent eg West’s, St George Illawarra. However this is slightly off topic to my actually point. Quite simply, whilst making the competition obviously more even and more competitive it has also overseen a drop in the standard of the teams in this comp. If a team manages to build an awesome side (Roosters 02-04, Bulldogs same era, although they have kept their excellent forwards) they basically fall apart after a short period of time. Think of the best teams over the last 20 years. Parramatta in the 80’s, Canterbury in the 80’s, Canberra late 80’s early 90’s. Sure, I myself didn’t see them live but have seen various games of theirs. How damn good were they to watch!!! In particular the back lines of both Parramatta and Canberra were unbelievable. Sure, certain teams tended to dominate but some glorious football was certainly played, particularly in the early 90’s.

Now, I don’t suggest a return to a free for all spending, as that would simply see an English Premier League situation arise where four teams ever have a chance of winning. But a balance has to be found. Now, believe it or not, Phil Gould may have the answer to this one. His idea, recently floated on the Sunday Roast, of having the salary cap only being applicable to players you actually buy for the club would make a huge difference to the quality of our game. Firstly, it would see a greater emphasis on junior development, as clubs know they can keep their juniors coming through. Secondly, it allows teams to build their sides into really top teams, allowing us to see the good teams for a bit longer than we currently do. Sure, players will still move on but the tide will be lessened and as an added bonus players can stay in our game rather than moving on to England. Obviously this system is not perfect, as no system is, but it would be a step in the right direction for our game.

And, finally, we would be able to see some truly awesome rugby league sides for more than a couple of years!

----------------------------------------------------------
749 words including title

thickos

First Grade
The Raiders side* for this all-important Round Seven clash:

Thickos (acting captain)
Greeneyed
IBG
Stelios Giannakopolous (formerly known as Schifty, I always get this wrong)
Timbo

Reserves:
Raider_69 (c)
Dubby

* Note: Due to a problem with Raider_69's computer (it's crashed and apparently requires a fresh install) it is unlikely that he will be around much during this round's match. I have cleared it with the referee and the Sharks captain that I will be acting Raiders captain for this match, and may have to post Raider_69's article by proxy, if required.

greeneyed

First Grade
GE playing for the Raiders...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Grumpy Old Man

“You should be on that television show, Grumpy Old Men” my PA at work tells me, as I grumble to her about some new silly thing one of my bosses has done. “You know they don’t call you ‘Grizzly’ just because you have ‘cuddly’ dimensions" she says jokingly as she walks out of my office. I laugh along, and can’t complain about the ‘cuddly dimensions’ jibe, but I tell myself “I’m not that grumpy.”

Thankfully, it was Friday afternoon and I had something more interesting to look forward to than the trials and tribulations of the office: my beloved Raiders were taking on the Parramatta Eels on Saturday night at Canberra Stadium.

I get to the ground early, as I always like to watch the lower grades. And as I settle down to watch the Jersey Flegg, a sense of dread envelopes me. A group of Parramatta fans walk up the steps. “Every bloody week” I mutter to myself. “Why do we always get a group of opposition supporters sitting right behind us?”

I sit in the main grandstand, for the most part in a huge block of Raiders season ticket holders, right on the half way line. But the row behind me is unsold. And for some reason, the ticket sellers sell these seats to opposition supporters every single week.

One guy is clutching a group of tickets in his hand and they are looking around, ‘lost’. My hopes lift. Maybe they aren’t going to come and sit in the traditional offending seats. But then I quickly realise. They sit in the middle of the front row, in seats I know are taken by season ticket holders. I groan to myself. As if the best seats in the stand are going to be available?

They ask someone nearby: “Is this row WWW?”

“No, this is row WW,” comes the reply. “Row WWW is right up there” they say, pointing in my direction.

Edward Munch’s “The Scream” flashes in front of my eyes.

As they climb towards me, they loudly comment: “Oh it’s very steep. We’re very high up.”

“Every single time”, I think to myself. “Every single time the opposition supporters say exactly the same thing. If they don’t like being high, why don’t they go and get seats in the bowl?”

They settle in the seats behind me. And then it starts. Phase one.

“Do we want to be this high?” says one.

“I think it is good to be able to see the patterns of play” says another. “And what if it rains?”

“Yes but we’d be closer to the players if we were sitting in the bowl” comes the reply.

This goes on for about five minutes until it sounds like chalk screeching on a black board in my mind.

They then start to focus on the game. This is phase two. “Get ‘em on side!” one yells. “They’ve been doing it all day! Come on ref! Get ‘em back!”

I seethe privately. They have been in their seats for a total of five minutes.

The Raiders feed a scrum. The Eels screw the scrum and the ball ricochets out in the Eels direction. The ref re-packs the scrum. “Aawwww, come on ref! Parramatta ball!”

Again I seethe. “How would you like a penalty instead for screwing the scrum?” I mutter to myself.

Phase three. One of the kids starts kicking the seat in front of him. The whole row of seats I’m sitting in shudders. It goes on for five minutes and I say nothing, until finally I reach breaking point. I turn around and politely say “Would you mind not kicking the seat?” They glare at me like I’m Brian Smith.

Their conversation goes back to phase one – whether they want to move to the bowl. I am being driven completely nuts.

“The problem is all the seats look like they are ticketed and reserved. There is no general admission” says one.

Finally I see my chance. I turn around and say: “Oh, you shouldn’t worry about that. Only about half of the seats in the bowl will be taken by season ticket holders. And the crowd will be low today. There will be plenty of good spare seats in the bowl.”

And with that they decide to pack up and move downstairs.

I settle back to watch the game in relative peace, pleased I have been so helpful to some opposition supporters.

Who says I’m a Grumpy Old Man?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

750 words including title

edabomb

First Grade
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] for the Sharks

Saturday, the eighth of July.

I woke up today anticipating a huge night of fun and football. There were two games I was taking a specific interest in, Canberra versus Penrith, and the Knights playing the Eels. The All Blacks were also playing, but they were only of a casual interest to me.

The night kicked off at 7:30, with the All Blacks playing the Wallabies. I used to be a big rugby fan in the mid90s. My passion had fallen away towards the end of the millennium though, as the game began to lose some of its flair and became more kicking orientated. I didn’t hold high hopes for enjoying this match, and left my computer on as a boredom resort. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by the enjoyment factor of this game. In fact, it was to be the most enjoyable of the three matches I watched that evening. There were several points that came to my attention that would help improve rugby league in 2006.

The referee, Jonathan Kaplan, was outstanding. His refereeing may not have been perfect, but the respect he commanded was a brilliant sight. When I compared this to Andrew Johns abusing the referee in the later league game I realised what an ugly side of modern day league this is. If players in the other code can largely accept the ruling of the referee then why can’t league players? It is an ugly image when calls are continually disputed; I know this better than most having spent several seasons watching Simon Woolford continually challenging calls. Obviously rugby union has a larger worldwide pool of referees to call on for international fixtures, but I still think the NRL should aspire to improve their refereeing quality to the point of the union on the weekend.

I must see about ten forward passes go during every game of rugby league I watch. In rugby union the touch judges stay in line with the play, therefore being able to see these indiscretions far easier than league referees. The fact is that touch judges lining up on the ten-metre line in league haven’t worked. We see maybe three or four penalties for offside in a game, while far more forward passes go unpunished, especially from dummy half in the play the ball. The referee should assume control over offside penalties, therefore freeing up the touch judges to concentrate on the play the ball.

Counter attacking happened regularly, with the back lines combining for some brilliant returns of the ball. The two sides also treated the ball with slightly less respect than many NRL sides; they were willing to chance their arm. Particularly when watching Canberra later that night I was given a perfect example of everything attacking football shouldn’t be. Canberra started a set inside the Panthers twenty metre line, and proceeded to take four one out hit ups in a row. To see teams attack from their own twenty-metre line was very refreshing, as I am used to watching a side that struggles to attack in the opponents twenty.

The video referee was also called on, and seemed similar to the league version in time spent. However, from watching union previously I know this isn’t usually the case. The video referee is only permitted to adjudicate on matters happen in goal. This means a far quicker analysis before the decision is made. While this practise is far more efficient, many factors can be missed if not judging the lead up to the incident. I think while this works well in union it wouldn’t in league, where the referees tend to often miss obstructions and errors before the ball passes the try line.

Of course this article doesn't mean I am a converted union fan. I do, however, think we can learn from aspects of their game. While diehard league fans will rubbish this suggestion, it is the best way to continue the rise of rugby league in Australia. If the NRL can remove annoying little factors such as referee arguments and constant forward passes the game will become far more aesthetically pleasing. I have personally found the NRL to be reasonably boring in 2006 when games don’t involve the side I support. The games seem to be slower, and more related on the strength and size of the forwards than the skill and flair of the backs. If we can learn from an exciting game played in the other code then we should take every chance.

----------------------------------------------------
750 words including title

thickos

First Grade
thickos for the Raiders

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Man Who Never Made It

Fans of the Canberra Raiders have been blessed with an array of superstars to marvel at over the years. True legends of the game such as Stuart, Daley, Clyde and Meninga have worn the lime green with distinction, culminating in three premierships for Canberra. Yet in the prolonged mediocrity the club has since endured, one player captured the imagination of his fans more than any of the superstars who had preceded him. Known universally to Raiders fans as ‘Marty,’ this player was the unpredictable Mark McLinden.

‘Marty’ set the league world on fire in his debut year of 1998. A local junior, Mark’s speed, versatility and freakish ability to set up a try saw him awarded the NRL Rookie of the Year title. In a team that still contained Stuart, Daley, Clyde and Furner, McLinden almost instantly became the new fan favourite. Paired up alongside fellow headgeared half Andy McFadden, the ‘Mac Attack’ was born – and the crowd loved it.

‘Marty’ was young, talented and exciting, playing the game with a carefree attitude. In his debut year he chimed into the attack as he saw fit, giving the Raiders an unpredictable edge. His speed was explosive. But besides all of his on-field traits, he was a character in a world full of robots. A known practical joker, the Canberra media devoted a story to a street race he organised where he took on his grandmother in a handicapped sprint. He would write music on the team bus. Mark was a true original, making him a marketer’s dream. And, of course, the ladies loved him. It seemed a great future lay ahead of him.

The Raiders were so convinced that Mark would lead the Raiders out of the doldrums that he was signed up to a multi-year deal, while Ricky Stuart was released. Despite howls of protest, the message was clear; Mark McLinden was the future. This move put Mark directly into the limelight – no longer the exciting young utility, he was now the man burdened with being the chief playmaker of the side after Laurie Daley’s career came to a close.

This role didn’t suit Mark’s game, and as a result his form suffered. Unable to displace Daley from five-eighth, and not good enough to run a team like a classic halfback, Mark became the team nomad. He would play wing, fullback, and ultimately, the bench. Only occasionally did we witness a return to his incredible best where he would win a game single-handedly, a source of much frustration for fans. Canberra continued to flounder mid-table, Daley was gone and the man anointed as ‘the future of Canberra’ was not living up to expectations.

What happened to Mark McLinden in those years? Was it poor coaching, leaving him stranded out of position? Perhaps it was an unwillingness to knuckle down and do the work to become a consistent footballer, or a pre-occupation with larrikin pursuits outside of league, but ‘Marty’ never realised his potential in the NRL. The Raiders kept persevering with him, losing Brett Finch, McFadden and Michael Monaghan in the process, and his adoring fans still loved him, but time was running out. A return to solid form in 2003 behind an incredible forward pack could not save him, as he was released in late 2004 to the London Broncos.

For Mark himself, it was probably a relief – the burden of expectation of leading the Raiders to premiership success was gone. The lure of travel made Super League an enticing option, as did the faster style of play. Once again, he has been a hit with his home fans. Once again, he has played a number of different positions, unable to tie down a regular starting spot. And once again, his side is not a contender, success seemingly again out of grasp.

There are probably thousands of stories in the league community that follow similar lines – the talented youngster who had the world at his feet, but could not make a go of it. Mark McLinden is no different. He has had a long career, playing 165 games for his beloved Raiders before heading to England. For many this would be a great career, but considering his potential he could have been so much more. There could have been titles, representative jerseys and even more adoration from his fans. He was a joy to watch and a fan favourite, but in reality, Mark McLinden never really made it.

++++++++++++++++++++

750 words including title.

Timbo

Staff member
Timbo, making his 2006 debut, takes his first hit up for the Raiders

All I Wanted Was A Day On The Hill...

All I wanted was a day on the hill. Watch the boys run round. Who cares if we win? As I'm always telling people, you go for the event, it's football, not life or death. You go to sit, relax, enjoy the company of friends, and if you're lucky, maybe your side wins. Just a bit of fun, that's what a day at the footy is all about.

Times are changing though. I'm told it's for the better. I'm told it makes this great game of ours better. I'm not convinced. I have a mate who used to be a passionate St.Kilda supporter, back in the olden days of the VFL. He doesn't care at all about them anymore. “Once they left Morrabin, that was it for me”, he said. I'm starting to wonder if maybe he's onto something.

So you pack the car, and set out for the long drive to the game. Parking's a nightmare, but what else is new? In the distance-there it is. This is what we came for! So we grab our esky from the boot, and set out for the hallowed ground, where this afternoon, we'll have a few drinks, and see the game that we love.

So we get to the ticketbox, and ask for two on the hill. “You mean general admission, don't you sir”, the twelve year old behind the desk asks. I guess that's what they call it these days. I say yes, and ask her if it's full yet. I get a snort in reply. Oh well, I think to myself, I guess some people just don't appreciate the game. As I'm heading for the turnstile, I get my first shock of the day. “Can I see in there, sir” heavyset gentleman in an overcoat asks, gesturing to my esky. I'm a little peeved that he thinks I'm bringing something illegal into the ground, but I show him anyway. “I'm afraid I'll have to confiscate all of this, sir”, he says, removing the entire contents of my esky. I protest, but all I get is “ground policy, sir”, as he shuffles me out of the way. Oh well, I think, I won't let it ruin my day. I go through the turnstile, hoping I haven't missed 3rd grade's kickoff, and that I'll still be able to get a spot on the hill.

Hill? What hill. I discover to my horror, that the entire ground has become a gigantic concrete bowl, with not a blade of grass in sight, other than the playing surface. I ask the ground attendant, what happened to the hill? I get a blank stare in response. When I ask what “general admission” means, I'm told I can sit directly behind the goalposts. So much for arriving early to get a spot on halfway. We find a seat, which has even worse views than I first thought, and settle in for the day.

Fulltime rolls around in thirds, by which point we're getting pretty thirsty. I set off looking to replace the contents of my esky, and I find a bar, and order two beers and two meat pies. “Light beers only, sir” I'm told. I don't like it very much, but I take it anyway. I reach for my wallet, when my next shock arrives. “That'll be $22.50 please” she says. This can't be right? I only ordered two beers and two pies. The girl assures me, that is correct. I pay and return to my seat, assuring my companion that we won't be having anymore refreshments today.

Time ticks on, I wait for the ground to fill. First grade arrives, and it seems like there are barely any more people here now than nearly 4 hours ago when we arrived. The players run out, my God, are they wearing jerseys or t-shirt shaped billboards? The play is fast, but repetitive. Everyone is a backrower out there. The tactics never change, much like the shape of the 34 players. It was a close game-22-24-but I left gaining no enjoyment at all. As I trek back to the car, all I can think is, “how did this happen?”

I'm told that the game has changed, for the better, but I don't know. Repetitive play, rich-primadonas on the field, 34 identical players and a thousand times too expensive to go to every week. What's better about any of that?

All I wanted was a day on the hill.

750 words, including title

Stelios Giannakopolous of the Raiders kicks the ball out on the full:crazy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
Canberra’s Form - What The?

_40164737_armleg-ap300.jpg

What Canberra Raiders side will turn up this weekend? The NRL's equivalent of a schizophrenic hasn't been taking their lithium to balance themselves out... so really, it’s anyones' guess..

Canberra fans are always in the position of watching their side not knowing what to expect. While most fans see their side go through good and bad patches that normally last for weeks or months, Canberra fans endure a side whose form fluctuates more than current petrol prices. Forget about fluctuating from week to week, the Raiders can even do it during matches!

Despite the chaos, is there some weird formula which can predict the Raiders' form? Well, I shall now use the 2006 form guide as the basis for my study.

The opening four rounds of the 2006 season were a perfect example of this squad's unique talent. A round one victory over Manly at Brookvale gave fans the hope of seeing some of the early season blitzes the Raiders had dealt out in the past, and a home fixture against the Knights the following week left the fans confident. An early try to debutant William Zillman seemed to ensure that Newcastle would leave the nation's capital on the wrong side of the scoreboard, but the mercurial Andrew Johns ensured that at half-time it was 34-8 - to the visitors. In true Raiders' form they scored two quick tries to get the crowd excited about a potential comeback... the meds must have worn off soon after however, the final score finishing at 70-32.

The next chapter of the Raiders' season took the 'Green Machine' to Aussie Stadium to face the Roosters, a team that had not lost to Canberra at that ground since 1995. Coming off a 70 point loss, a strong effort was expected from the Raiders - the win not as important as getting their season back on track.

Judging by the first half effort where the Raiders took a shock 14-10 lead into the sheds, one could be forgiven for thinking an even contest was on the cards. Canberra extended their lead early in the second half and a massive upset was truly on the cards, the Raiders seemingly about to prove that “Current form means nothing” in this competition. However, to the dismay of Raiders fans the final 28 minutes saw their side concede 46 unanswered points. A match well within their grasp became another disgrace, losing 56-20.

After a week of hammerings in the media and the spotlight on departing coach Matt Elliott, the Raiders were desperate for a win. Only three weeks into 2006, the season hinged on a home match against then top of the table Panthers on a cold Saturday night. Again the fans would turn up not knowing what to expect, but it was clear the Raiders had found the 'grit' in their game again. Leading 14-8 deep into the second half, the Raiders had at least remembered how to play again, but true to form two quick tries to the Panthers had Canberra hearts broken, the visitors seemingly destined for a solid victory. It looked like another “brave loss” for the Raiders, until they desperately spread the ball out wide and scored in the corner with only seconds remaining.

It was pure Hollywood; the team written off by all the critics had fought back against the table-topping Panthers, with only a sideline conversion standing between the Raiders and extra time. New captain Clinton Schifcofske had the kick lined up and... it was never in doubt. The drama was still unfolding however, as fans would sit through the Raiders running the ball on the final tackle of the first period of extra time, while Craig Gower missed a field goal from only ten metres out. It was not until 'President Clinton' sealed the game with a 35 metre field goal that fans could finally celebrate.

2006 has not been smooth sailing since that opening month by any means - most Raiders fans have a weaker heart and less hair. But a pattern is emerging - the form guide for the first eighteen rounds reads:

WLLW(GP)LWLBWLLW(GP)WWLWLL

That is, every time the Raiders drop two in a row, a golden point victory comes along to relieve the pressure and get Canberra back in the winners' circle. Coming off two losses in the past fortnight, you can guess what my tip for this week's Raiders-Tigers game is - and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happens.
------------------------------------------------------
749 words between the lines.

The Piper

Juniors
Waken for the Sharks

Why Rugby League Is Better Than Real Life

There are many phrases and situations that you may very well find yourself in during day to day life, that also have a counterpart during a game of Rugby League. The circumstance that you find yourself in through your life can differ from the situation that takes place through the footy game, but none the less, these moments do occur each and every day, and each and every game. When closely examined, you can easily tell that the situations that occur in League are far more positive then those same happenings that occur in your real life.

The Side Step

This situation is the most physically recognisable as the most negative during life, but most positive during rugby league. When referring to the side step in life, its definition is to dodge; maneuver or get away from. Usually used in the workplace, when a person side steps something, they are most likely fobbing something off so that they themselves don’t have to deal with it and the work usually ends up in another person’s lap.
The side step is one of the most eye catching moves that a league player can pull on the footy field. As a young bloke, Freddy was my hero and I went to the Panthers’ games wanting to see the famous step more than a win. The Side Step in rugby league is a crowd draw card.

The Dummy

In life, the Dummy is an object the gives an infant to suck on, in many cases to stop the baby from crying. You are referred to as a Dummy, when people fear your intelligence is inferior to those around you. The Dummy Spit is a phrase commonly used when someone has thrown a tantrum, because things haven’t gone the way they have planned.
In league, if you are throwing a Dummy, then you are using your select skills to draw the opposing player into believing that you are about to offload the ball, and then holding it yourself to gain extra ground. It is a trick, which pulled off, will make the player throwing the Dummy look like a very clever ball-handler.

The Hooker

In life, a hooker is a name given to a prostitute; a man or woman who sells their body physically in return for an amount of money. There are a lot of groups in the world that find this practice immoral and wrong. I won’t go into my personal thoughts, but getting a buck for a – you know – is frowned upon in today’s society.
In League, greats like Danny Bedurus and Luke Priddis control the flow of play and if any team wishes to win the competition, their number 9 has to be a top quality player. And most in the National Rugby League this year are.

The Strip

Well, the rule in league is a bit of a “gray area”. The rulings are too inconsistent. And in life, running along the beach naked at midnight on New Years Eve is very invigorating…and I’ll stop there. The Strip might be the only exception to my debate.

With these few examples, plus more that I’m sure many of you will be able to think up yourselves and have a good laugh (well, I hope you can, I’ve run out of ideas at this point in time. I’m sure I’ll come up with some more after 9pm tonight. Bit late then, though.) But now we can now clearly see. When it comes to life or league, the greatest game of all comes through again!

601 words including title

griffo346

First Grade
griffo346 comes on for the sharks to score the winning try

Cheerleaders

Sometimes people wonder are these people good for the game. Below I have proposed a few questions and simple answers to these questions.

Who are they?
They are a group of females that have planned and set routines for the games and plan what they would like to achieve at these games in the likes of crowd support.

What do they do?
They try and gee up the fans to support their team either for home or away games.
Example on the Saturday game, Panthers v Raiders the ground announcer at the Credit Union Australia Stadium, Mr. Scott Mcrae used the cheerleaders to read the opposition team out to the crowd. After each name was read out boos could be heard erupting in inside the stadium.

Are they good for the sport?
The girls are good for the sport in more ways then one:
1:They have the purpose of looking sexy for the male fans.
2:They show off their skills in their professional ways.
3:Their ability to gee up the players.

These are girls that are dedicated to their job, be it in the cold or the heat, they will always still give 110% to their job.

They can be used for sponsorship reasons, promoting the game, promoting the company in which they have on there uniform; for example, in the finals series they have had XBOX as a sponsor on their uniform, so hence they were promoting the respective product XBOX.

The cheerleader outfits, are they skimpy or are they okay?
Well there are 2 sides to this story. One is of the female perspective and the other is of the male’s perspective. This will be told below and believe me they differ a lot.

The Females perspective of the cheerleader’s uniform.
The cheerleader’s uniform can be found to be skimpy on some teams but being winter some have tended to cover up now however they do need changing of style but honestly she said that she doesn’t play much attention to the girls.

The Males perspective of the cheerleader’s uniform.
Of course they're not! They're not revealing any genetalia, they're not stripping, they're mereling dancing, and the insinuation that they are doing anything further, be it sexual or what have you, would be more insulting to the cheerleaders than the unfounded accusations that they are there for the sole purpose of entertaining male fans, which is not the case, they are there for all the crowd to enjoy, be it whichever nature they please, because they are there to support the team and provide entertainment, not a raunchy strip show.

Are they suitable viewing in front of younger audiences?
Certainly! As stated above, the cheerleaders are performing nothing explicit. It's merely dancing. There are no sexual acts what so ever. While some of routines maybe considered a little raunchy, one must remember we are living in the year 2006, and much lewder and cruder acts are seen in everyday life and on the television at certain times.

Are they necessary?
This question will only come down to opinion. The opinion of this writer is, obviously, yes they are. It's purely entertainment and strictly dancing, so what harm is being done? Some might say they add nothing to the game, but, teams like Cronulla Sharks have taken it to the next level, providing younger dancers an opportunity to perform in front of people on a stage atmosphere like no other they have experienced, and also, mainly, to have fun.

Whilst cheerleading is a profession, it is also a stepping stone to other performing arts careers. It is the opinion of mine that there is nothing wrong with cheerleaders, who come under some unfair scrutiny and are seen as easy targets by today’s loony lefty do-gooders.

630 words including title
according to offical f7s word counter

IBG for the Raiders...

----------

Insert Sound Of Cash Register Here

Tick tock.

Tick tock.

Tick... tock.

As the player manager watched the clock strike twelve, he smiled excitedly.

It was now the early morning of July 1st, and the first minute of the free agent period in the National Rugby League had just begun.

He picked up his phone and searched through the hundreds of contacts he had stored in his little black book.

His client, who shall remain anonymous just like the player manager himself, was undoubtedly going to be one of the hottest commodities on the open market. Many clubs had already contacted the agent to express their interest, which was legal under the anti-tampering rules as no active negotiations had taken place.

So he decided to take advantage of this situation, and he sprung his plan into action.

"Hey mate, how's it going?" he greeted, and it was obvious by his informal introduction that he knew the other person well. "Yeah, it's begun. So, are you ready to make an offer on him yet?" he queried, and again it was obvious by the fact he didn't even mention a name, that the club official knew all too well who he was referring to. "Six hundred over three years? That's it?" asked the manager, whose ire was obviously raised. "I understand you don't have much room left, but this kid is one in a million talent." he retorted, and secretly he knew he was overselling his value. "Alright, I'll let you know." he said, as he hung up the phone and rolled his eyes.

He quickly dialled another number. "Hey, it's me." he introduced once more. "Yeah, that's why I'm ringing. I've already got an offer on the table for him for two-twenty a year for four years." He was lying through his teeth, but it was all part of the plan to drive up his client's price. "Two fifty a year for three years? Not bad, I'll get back to you." he replied, before promptly hanging up the phone.

He knew that he was getting somewhere.

He thought he'd try his last option.

"Hah, yeah, you knew I'd call" he replied to the new person on the phone, who had obviously detected his number. "Two sixty for four years. He's pretty set on taking it up." he talked of his client, which again was another lie, as he hadn't even approached his player about the latest offers. "Two eighty five a year for four years? Is that your final offer?" he asked, and his reply was what he expected. "Okay, I'll get back to you" he said as he hung up the phone, grinning from ear to ear.

He didn't even bother ringing back the other interested parties, as he knew they couldn't match that last offer with a guaranteed fourth year, which even he didn't expect.

Instead he picked up his phone to let his client know the good news.

"Guess who!" he beamed. "Have I got some good news for you! Do you remember the club I mentioned to you a few days ago? They've made an offer. Two eighty five for four years! What do you think?!" he asked enthusiastically. "Er, no... no other clubs were interested..."

Again, he lied. Deep down, he was worried that his client would take a lower offer with one of the other clubs due to lifestyle, club structure, or any of the other factors that effect a player's decision.

"I think it's a great deal, this was beyond even our expectations. They may be a struggling club, but they're building to something special." Yeah, right. Deep down he knew the club was set for mediocrity for years to come. "What do you mean you'll think on it? There's nothing to think about!" he urged. "I'm just worried they'll withdraw the deal if they sign someone else!" he stated as he again distorted the truth. "You're sure?" he asked, with an optimistic smile. "Excellent. I'll organise the details and get back to you. Congrats mate, you've earned it."

He then hung up the phone.

"YES! I've earned it!" he yelled, as he pumped his fist in the air.

He knew that sometimes he had to put his morals to the side.

Don't think that he'll wrestle with his conscience, because he'll be able to sleep well tonight, knowing that tomorrow he'll be able to put the deposit down on a Mercedes C class vehicle.

Ah, it's a selfless job, being a player manager...

---------

750 words including title.

griffette346

Juniors
griffette346 for the sharks

MY FIRST RUGBY LEAGUE MATCH

Last Saturday evening, the 8th July, I went to my first rugby league match. The game was Panthers versus Raiders. The match was held at Credit Union Australia Stadium Penrith. It was a cold night and we sat on the hill. Unfortunately we forgot to bring a blanket and we weren’t going to fork out 40 bucks for a Panthers one, even if we were supporting them! I went with my boyfriend and his mate, avid Panthers’ fans.

The previous evening we had gone to watch the Panthers’ train. Only a few other people were there, which I found surprising. The main reason I wanted to go was to see Joel Clinton. I was lucky enough to get a close hand look at him prancing around the field. I was even luckier to have my photo taken with him afterwards. I will never wash my shoulder again. But anyway, onto the game.

It was nearly a full house, with quite a few Raiders’ fans making the journey from Canberra. When we arrived another match was in progress between the Cougars and Raiders, which Cougars won. Then the cheerleaders came out, which was enjoyed by all male members of the crowd. I particularly enjoyed the Panthers’ little mascot, Paws. He rode around the field on a scooter.

In the 10 or so minutes that we awaited the teams we had a welcome from the stadiums ground announcer Scott McRae where he did the krispy kreame season ticket draw, the players from the Raiders’ team and also the players from the Panthers’ team which was displayed on the big screen at the ground.

Then the players had arrived I was particularly looking for the one and only Joel Clinton as he is my favourite player of the Panthers’ but I was kind of disappointed as I had to wait to see him up closer in the second half.

The players started the game under the referee’s guidance of Tony Archer as he blew time on I was excited to see the game started as I have never been to a game before.

The first points didn’t come till the 22nd minute when Rhys Wesser pounced on a grubber kick put through by Preston Campbell the try was awarded after the referee blew his whistle to signal this, the try was converted by the Panthers 5/8 Preston Campbell. Up until this time the game was a hard fought contest with both teams going at each other like hammer and tongs.

Shortly after that try the Panthers scored on half time when Michael Gordon crossed over in the corner to give the Panthers a 10-0 lead at half time as the try was not converted.

During half time we had the game day sponsor promoting themselves on that night it was Telstra, we also saw some punters attempt to catch bombs from the machine under lights at CUA stadium if that was me I know I would have struggled.

After we saw this, the players returned with I able to see Joel up close getting ready to receive the ball from the kick off. I don’t know about others but he looked so juicy out there this night be it in the flesh instead on the television.

The Raiders where first to score in the second half giving the Panthers hopeful a scare considering on numerous occasions the team has lead at half time to be run down this try was converted and the score was 10-6 at the 56th minute of the 2nd half.

But we didn’t have to wait too much longer when the Panthers extended there lead in the 59th minute with a try to the Panthers 5/8 Campbell with him having a head knock whilst scoring the try the Panthers had to look to there winger Michael Gordon to convert and he did so this was leaving the scores at 16-6, in the 60th minute of play.

Then we had to wait at least 15 minutes for the last try to the Panthers which sealed a much needed victory for the club through the winger Michael Gordon he also added the extras leaving the Panthers total at 24-6.

On full time the Raiders scored a try through there fullback Clinton Schifcofske he also converted his own try to make the final score 24-12.

Leaving me happy and a lot of other Panther fans as we still have a sniff of making the final 8.

749 words including title

griffo346

First Grade
Sorry guys i forgot to add the sub in i hope you guys are okay with it

on - griffette346
off - mayor_quimby

anyway if this is allowed good game 5v5 if not verry good game to thr raiders :D
also nice try sharkies

I can't speak for our captain but I don't see why it can't be allowed on the grounds of good sportsmanship, we'll see what the big fella says... as well as the ref I guess. :)

Good game Sharkies.

thickos

First Grade
I have no probs with it, hopefully the ref sees it the same way.

Good luck Sharks some great articles from both sides.

As for Raider_69 - mate never crash your computer again, this captaincy stuff is hard work! :lol:

antonius

Coach
Raiders

greeneyed
Grumpy Old Man
750 Words
Good Read. I’m a grumpy old man as well.
Score 86

I Bleed Green
Insert Sound Of Cash Register Here
750 Words
This piece is probably not far off the truth. An article on the possible goings on immediately after the deadline. Good Reading.
Score 86

Stelios Giannakopolous
Canberra’s Form-What The?
749 Words
Trying to anylise what’s going on with your team can be very frustrating. (I know being a Knights supporter) Kept me interested.
Score85

Timbo
All I Wanted Was A Day On The Hill…
750 Words
An article on the way a day at a game is changing. Have to agree on a lot of the points made in this. Well written.
Score 86

Thickos
The Man Who Never Made It
750 Words
Enjoyable read on a player I liked watching, even though I’m not a follower of the Raiders. Brought back some good memories of the “Mac attack”
Score 87

Raiders Total 430

Sharks

Go The Bears
A Rant
749 Words.
A piece on some flaws in the game, as perceived by the writer. I found this a little disjointed. The writer starts by comparing the athletic attributes of modern day players, and goes on to discuss the salary cap. There really wasn’t a line between the two in the writing; it was split by a few examples of why the writer has lost interest in the game. The reading wasn’t helped by some poor grammar.
Score75

Marc Herbert [CNTDN]
Saturday, the eighth of July
750 Words
A well-written article, comparing the differences between two football codes. The writer has put forward some well thought out suggestions that in his opinion could benefit our game. Good reading
Score 89

griffette346
MY FIRST RUGBY LEAGUE MATCH
749 Words
Basic game report. A lot of spelling and grammatical errors made it difficult to read. If you are going to write a match report you need to bring the game atmosphere, or something unusual to the reader to liven it up.
Score 71

griffo346
Cheerleaders
627 Words
Good subject, better use of the word count could have expanded the piece more. The article is spoilt by poor grammar. The “female perspective” was particularly difficult reading because of this.
[Score 75[/b]

Waken
Why Rugby League Is Better Than Real Life.
601 Words
I’m sure the writer could have used the word count to add a few more comparisons. A well thought out piece, let down a bit by some grammatical errors.
Score 84

Sharks Total 394

Raiders 430 defeated Sharks 394

MOTM Marc Herbert [CNTDN]

Very consistent effort from the Raiders saw them get home with a convincing win. The Sharks were let down somewhat across the board with some poor spelling and grammar in their pieces.

edabomb

First Grade
Wow, an empty feelin winning my first MoM in a losing effort. Bad luck Sharkies, and congratulations Raiders. Cheers for the quick turnaround Antonius.