What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 (2009) BLUEBAGS v DRAGONS

The Piper

Juniors
Forum 7s - Round 7 2009
NEWTOWN BLUEBAGS v ST GEORGE DRAGONS
bluebagsf7s.jpg
-v-
stg-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Thursday 16th July 2009 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: The Colonel
Venue: Henson Park
ground_henson_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragon_psa

First Grade
With not only the Chook Raper Cup on offer, but also a chance to rise from the spoon position the Dragons charge off the team bus with a quiet but determined aura of confidence about them. Former Bluebag Dragon_psa leads the following squad onto his old home ground ready to wage war on his old mates.

jersey_dragons_1a.gif

3. Dragon_psa (c)
39. Dubopov
5. Jason Maher (vc)
24. Hornbyslilhottie24 (on F7's debut)
7. Baldwin (on F7's debut)

Reserves:

2. DragonPunk
00. The Preacher

Let the carnage begin.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The battle-weary Bluebags push the bus onto the Henson Park hill, glad to be home. But a fearsome opponent awaits. The defence of the Chook Raper Cup raises the spirits enough, and these old baggers lace up the boots in readiness for the fight.

Bluebags team v Dragons - Round 7, 2009

Chook Raper Cup

Willow (c)
gorilla (vc)
Everlovin' Antichrist
muzby
Drew-sta

Res:
Cheesie-the-pirate
Timmah
Rexxy

Good luck to both teams, good luck one and all.

gorilla

First Grade
*gorilla pushes the stick magazine aside and launches onto the field, his head spinning*

What goes around comes around

Young gorilla and I put one of our mice into a heavy-duty lettuce-spinner last weekend. It’s an industrial device using centrifugal force to push water off and into a plastic detention bowl. You make it go faster by pulling a cord (like a lawnmower) that accelerates an inner mesh bowl – it’s just like the Gravitron or, for older Luna Park visitors, it’s a Rotor.

gorilla_rotor.jpg

Sunday amusements are a little like the Colosseum at the gorillas’. We started by chucking a brown mouse into the spinner (‘the Rotor’) and pulled the ripcord.

The mouse is a valiant little creature, able to leap prodigious distances – more so under panic. Our first mouse, trotted along happily until the speed and intensity got too strong and, finally, it ended up splayed across the plastic mesh of ‘the Rotor’. Spread-eagled, face squashed against the wall, little paws gripping the mesh, they tried to lift themselves up.

Far worse was the unprepared Rotor riders, with centrifugally-driven drool spreading across their faces, and even worse the people who had too much gassy cordial. No-one would ride the vomit-splattered wooden walls of the famous Sydney Luna Park Rotor until it was cleaned up.

Certain mice performed better than others and I thought to dress them up in little NRL Guernseys – even mice-boots for better traction but our sewing is pretty limited, so we settled for testing their stamina and capacity to deal with changes in pace, and gravity expressed sideways.

League teams start the season full of piss and vinegar – they even get to wear matching guernseys and boots for traction. Teams line up to ride the Rotor that is the NRL premiership. I reckon that somewhere about one-third to a half through a season, many of the NRL clubs start to feel the pinch. Sure there’s a few that struggle from the start and, as the pace and intensity of the Rotor starts to exert a centrifugal force beyond the team’s capabilities, they lag behind and fall by the wayside. Other teams have better stamina, or coordinated approach to attack and defence, maybe they’re ahead of the pack and don’t get brought down by other teams during the season (we did try three mice at once but found as soon as one went down it tended to drag the others over like a pack of lycra-wearing cyclists when a car ploughs into the pack.

Teams like the Sharks and Roosters were wearing the Rotor wall implanted on their faces early in the ride, and the Tigers, Warriors and Rabbitohs all are starting to feel their faces stretched with the centrifugal force, limbs getting heavy and feeling like they’re chained down.

Right now as the “League Gods” – the equivalent of me, are pulling the ripcord faster and faster, there are eight to ten teams running either as fast as they can, trying to keep up with the intensity and pace of the season’s competition. When the teams realise they can’t keep up, or it’s getting really hard, all sorts of panic behaviour sets in. The mouse equivalent of nipping at each other, pushing, shoving and jostling to get ahead and no time to watch the next mouse-team get splayed against the spinning walls.

One thing we noticed in our mouse trials was that those mice that survived the early spinning walls-of-death were better equipped than those without the experience when they were put under stress and the pace picked up. Clubs like the Storm, Manly, the Broncos, and to a lesser extent the Bulldogs and Dragons have some form in end-of-season games. To be bundled out in the early stages of the finals series is the equivalent of finding the Rotor’s pace and intensity too much, or simply stumbling and falling when the pressure is on for the mice.

Although we couldn’t make little guernseys for the mice, in the end we settled on a combination of texta and food colouring to make a finals series with eight top clubs and set them off in one mad, crazy wall-of-death lettuce-spinning Rotor Premiership.

Who won ?

Let’s just say that the Rotor was the winner.

696 words between the stars

Last edited:

Baldwin

Juniors
*Baldwin runs on the field for the Dragons, for his F7s debut, socks down, shorts up*

Which is tougher? Union? Or League?

This is the debate that has raged on and on for decades, but i believe i finally have an answer.
Many times whilst sitting around in ‘the circle of knowledge’ – a beer in one hand and surrounded by mates having a drink – the debate has been brought up. It is usually brought up with people bagging me out because i play union and everyone i know are livid league players and fans. But the thing that most people do not realise is this, have you actually tried the other sport? This question is usually answered with something like “Why would i, i already know its bad?”. But what would happen if Ty Williams for example packed into a ruck?

imgres

imgres

It is a known fact that the forward pack in Union is much larger than in league, and if i were Petero Civinoceva i sure wouldn’t want to run into Wycliff Palu!
But in saying all of this i am probably coming across as very one sided but i have actual experience in both codes, this is what gives me the RIGHT to bag out one code or the other.
One way that this long debated query could be resolved is this, a game of codes. Many-a-star has had their say in what they would like to see, this is what i would like...
Australite Rugby – A one off game of epic proportions, this could see league persuade players from union and vise versa, an 80 minute game of two 40 minute halves, one half league, one half union. The game would be played with unlimited substitutions and 6 subs per team, the scrums in union un-contested, but everything else is hard brut rugby at its finest, the game to be played at ANZ stadium, on Australia day, and all proceeds to go to two charities, one of unions choice and one from league. This gives players who are wondering what to do with their careers the opportunity to give union a go and players like Lachie Turner the chance at league. But many people disagree with this, saying that its too easy to see that one half would be dominated by league and a thrashing would be handed out and the other union would hand out a thrashing, i beg to differ!
If history has tought us anything its that these two codes are as similar as Grapefruit and Oranges. It is just adapting to the minorities that make them different and some people can and some people cant. Take Timana Tahu, he was lauded as the next big thing in rugby and cant seem to make an impact, this is because rugby is a up and under game and Tahu is a ‘give me the ball and il run it wide’ player. This is just one minority that changes the two codes, another would be trying to see Matt Dunning play 60 minutes of league like Petero or Pricey. NOT GONNA HAPPEN! For one side to shine and take the honor of ‘Toughest Rugby Code’ is naturally only going to happen on the rugby pitch. And sales would skyrocket because of the mouth watering match ups, theres Lockyer against Giteau, Palu against Civvo, Sharpe against Price, Slater against youngster James O’Connor. This not only satisfies the age old debate but can help such causes of the Breast Cancer Foundation and Rugby Leagues One Community.
If i were asked today which code was better, i would reply, “footballs’ football, you play one or the other and it comes down to the person.” A persons passion answers the question, only the football field will close the debate!

632 words

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
muzby stops gazing at the packed crowd, gains focus on the oppositon and charges in like mick weyman running towards a pie truck..

750 words from heading to end..

The Silver Screen

110px-The_final_winter1.JPG

The clock ticks down on a sunny winter afternoon. The Newtown Jets are battling the St George Dragons. Time is tight. The scores are level – who will end up the victor? The Dragons are about to score the winning play – when suddenly the Jets swoop in and block them out.

120px-Final-winter-0.jpg

No, you aren't reading a script for an article in this F7’s match for the Chook Raper Cup, you are reliving a scene from the 2007 movie – The Final Winter. This movie appeared shortly after another rugby league themed movie – 2006’s Footy Legends, staring Anh Do (and a host of rugby league stars from the 1990s).

Both movies seemed to follow a similar script – start with your average working class bloke, throw in a dash of suburban Sydney, combine with a moral dilemma that the average bloke must overcome, and then finish with a good old game of rugby league.

There was also a healthy dash of Matty Johns in both films. Who could ever forget the fake beer belly he sported in The Final Winter, a poorly added stage prop that made his belly look more like a bad Reg Reagan effort than Danny Wicks’ ample pouch.

Matthew Johns aside, the reason both movies followed a similar path is simple - to create a good movie, you need a set of standard ingredients:
  1. A protagonist – every movie has a lead character, somebody you can relate to, he could be you or your best mate.
  2. The villain – a bad guy who you really hate. He symbolises the fight between good and evil.
  3. An underdog story – don’t we all love those? That wonderful, warm feeling you get when someone wins, against all odds.
  4. Emotion – something to tug at the heart strings. We want to feel moved by what we have just watched.
With the above ingredients in mind, does the average footy fan want to watch a movie about football? Do they want to see a scripted attempt at capturing the heart and soul of our game, all with a thin veil of excitement that looks amateurish, no matter how expensive the budget of the film?

Try as they may, a director cannot capture the excitement of a try in the final minute to win a game. Even Brad Pitt acting in a film could not invoke the heartache felt by fans when your team loses a grand final. That sinking feeling where you think the whole year was a waste of time, when you don’t want to look at your jersey for months.

Why would they want to watch a film movie, when in the NRL we get to watch eight new movies every week, which all contain the four ingredients?

1. The protagonist –The average supporter will have a favourite player or two. This player can do no wrong, will always get the loudest cheers and has his number on the back of kid’s jerseys.
  2. The villain. Every team seems to have their ‘bad guy’ – the player the opposition hates. The player you think is more evil than Heath Ledger’s Joker. It could be Paul Gallen, Willie Mason, Jamie Soward, or even Brett Kimmorley.
  3. The underdog storyline. Every team feels they are the underdog and have to fight to get recognition, be it Cronulla, trying to secure their first premiership or the eternal battlers, South Sydney. Even the great Melbourne side of 2006-2008 had an underdog story for the supporters – a team lost in the obscurity of AFL heartland, fighting not only other NRL teams, but a whole other football league.
  4. Emotion. Next time you are at a game or at the pub, take a minute to watch the faces and body language of the supporters. Watch their eyes light up when their team scores. Watch the despair when the referee puts his hand out to signal a try for the opposition. Watch the losing team supporters look close to tears when they realise it is all over. This is true emotion – something James Cameron could never achieve with Titanic.
For fans of 14 teams, their movies will finish their run sometime in September. For fans of the remaining two teams, the blockbuster film will be screened on October 4th. The excitement and anticipation for this show will be more than Australia has ever seen for any scripted movie produced.

This is real drama.

If only they sold popcorn and choc tops at ANZ Stadium.

Last edited:
EA for the Bags.

A letter to the 60%

The following is an excerpt from a recent WWOS article.

“An alarming 75 per cent of players declared they worried about going to clubs and pubs because they could end up on the front page, while 60 per cent admitted they were embarrassed to be NRL players because of all the negative headlines in recent times.”

Dear The 60%,

Gentlemen, you have got to be joking. In all my years following the NRL and prior to that the NSWRL, nothing I have ever read has annoyed me more than that one paragraph. You’re embarrassed to be an NRL player because of negative headlines? The headlines prompted by the actions of your peers?

Are you ashamed to be Australian because Martin Bryant and Ivan Milat are Australian?

Should a Doctor be embarrassed to be a Doctor because a couple of Doctors have taken liberties with their patients?

You insulted the intelligence of the fans of the NRL when you clicked the “yes” box on that one. We think you lads have the best job on the planet bar none. Most of us would give a kidney to have run onto the field just once in the jersey of our NRL side but you’re embarrassed to be an NRL player when one out of the 500 odd of you takes a pee on a wall somewhere?

Give me a break, that’s utter nonsense.

You play the greatest game of all at the highest club level for nine months of each year and get paid to do so. We, the mere mortals who pay your salaries, work 40-45 hours a week in jobs that most of us do because we have to in order to put food on the table and spend money going to games and on merchandise.

Do you really understand how lucky you are? I think the vast majority of you 60% don’t and I also believe that the majority of the 40% left do know how lucky they are. You need to spend more time with the 40%.

If you really are embarrassed to be a part of the NRL then leave. Feel free to try your hand at Union or maybe duck over to England and play in the ESL. But be careful, there are players in Union and the ESL who do stupid things too and your delicate sensibilities might be offended there too. If you really, honestly think that the stupid actions of a couple of your peers are enough to make you feel embarrassed to be a part of the NRL or any sport/competition that may garner headlines that offend you, then leave, get a real job, become a plebeian just like us.

Oh wait, most of you mollycoddled mummy’s boys have never had a real job; and that’s the problem. You take everything you have for granted and have a slanted view of your own worth. Ok, that’s a bit harsh but that's the way it appears when I read that paragraph from the WWOS article.

Remember that no one is bigger than the game. SBW and Gasnier both left, yet it has been hardly noticeable. Do you think you will be missed if you go or do you think a younger, hungrier version of you will take your place in an instant?

Here’s a thought, instead of being embarrassed, take the initiative and take some ownership of the problems. Take some responsibility for the actions of your peers. When a fellow player is drunk, make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid and make sure he gets home safely. When you see a fellow Footballer about to do something that will be an embarrassment to him, the game and apparently yourself, take control of the situation and you make sure it doesn’t get to that point. Talk to other players about their responsibility to their club, the game and the fans. We don’t want to see stories about players defecating and urinating in public places just as much as you don’t. But we don’t have the opportunity to stop it happening whereas you do.

Take the bull by the horns and do something about it. If it embarrasses you then take it upon yourself to make a difference.

Get your pride back.

Regards,

EA

715 words.

References;

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=831854

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Drew for the Baggers!

The kids aren’t alright

There was an interesting movie a few years ago called ‘The Breakfast Club’, which I have no doubt that almost 90% of the world has heard of, if not seen. The movie itself centres itself around dysfunctional kids who come together conforming and believing the cliques and stereotypes they are placed into by others, and walk away believing they’ve been conveniently classified by those around them and treated as such. The influences each of them experienced in their home life shaped their initial growth as people, thereby allowing others to place them in such classifications and in a way ‘typecasting’ their life.

Interestingly, one of the deleted scenes of the movie concerns the kids and their outlook based upon teacher Vernon’s perspective, which is rooted deeply within his perception of how kids of such stereotypes ‘end up’:

Bender will have killed himself, Claire will have had "two boob jobs and a face lift," Brian will have become very successful but die of a heart attack due to the stress of the high paying job. Allison will be a great poet but no one will care and Andy will marry a gorgeous airline stewardess who will become fat after having kids. *1

It’s interesting to note that stereotypes themselves are often used in a derogative manner and the impact itself is often quite significant to the people who are drawn into the stereotype. For instance, the belief that Negro-American’s were in some way ‘dumber’ than their Western counterparts has had a lasting influence on society and the way it perceives these people in society.

I’m concerned that as members of society, the way in which we view our professional rugby league players has been impacted by the stereotypes we have placed upon our players. With the spate of incidents over the last few years, you could be forgiven for thinking that all rugby league players were raping, adulterous, sex-crazed, alcohol fueled, disloyal sell-outs who seek to publically expose themselves – defecating wherever they please and without true remorse.

Whilst this is perhaps a slight exaggeration, it is without a doubt an image presented to us by one of the larger media outlets – The Daily Telegraph – and supported as gossip-hungry citizens look for each and every misdemeanor to shake their head and waggle fingers at.

What scares me is the environment we are bringing our kids into. The juniors running around in the U/16’s, who would be aware of this media frenzy, really have no idea of they could be getting themselves into. It reminds me of the opening lyrics to an Offspring song, whose title I have borrowed as the header to my article:

When we were young the future was so bright
The old neighborhood was so alive
And every kid on the whole damn street
Was gonna make it big in every beat

Now the neighborhood's cracked and torn
The kids are grown up but their lives are worn
How can one little street
Swallow so many lives *2

Exactly what environment are we breeding our juniors to become a part of? Are we, as a society, being responsible in the way we perceive the elite athletes of today? Or are we simply stereotyping all of them based on the actions of a few select numbskulls that the headlines love to latch on too, whilst ignoring the efforts of players who are actually promoting the game in a truly positive manner. In reality, we need to start focussing and applauding the efforts of people like Jeremy Smith *3, whose work with kids within the community is something the papers need to start focussing on rather than the drunken tirades of the Nate Myles et al.

Without doubt, I am not condoning the attitudes and behaviours of those who stumble and make mistakes. But how high are we setting the bar? How responsible can we expect 18 to 21 year olds to be given the way we pay and idolise our sports stars? Are we being entirely fair in cutting them down so low when they err after we have elevated them to such a pedestal for their natural talents?

I think we need to start looking at the way we not only address the issue, but perceive the people responsible. The longer we tell a cat that it isn’t a cat, and that it is a dog, the more likely it is to believe it’s a dog – If you follow my example.

*1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Breakfast_Club

*2 http://www.lyrics007.com/Offspring%2...%20Lyrics.html

*3 http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10874/default.aspx?newsid=55508

* 750 words.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
|Willow - Bluebags|

Bucket of spit
bucket-spit-160x160.jpg

When NRL referee Steve Clark claimed he had a bucket of spit thrown over him in 1998, the public reaction was predictable enough. Most people were appalled. But in some quarters there was a sense of awe, almost admiration, for what was essentially a spontaneous reaction from the mob on the hill.

In 1998 at Kogarah Jubilee Oval, the St George Dragons were playing host to the Canterbury Bulldogs - a home semi-final for Saints. It was a tremendous match for the packed crowd with St George racing away to a 12-0 lead. But the contest also had its fair share of controversy after several questionable decisions had gone against the Dragons, including referee Clark allowing a forward pass to go unchecked resulting in a try to the Bulldogs. Canterbury eventually won the game 20-12. While jogging towards the tunnel amidst a chorus of heckling, Clark claimed he was intimidated before being drenched in a "bucket of spit".

So how did this happen?

One version is that a container of some sort was passed around on the Kogarah Hill. Perhaps not surprisingly, the bucket instigator prefers to remains a mystery, although I'm told by a reliable source that he goes by the name of 'Darren'. According to the story, there was no shortage of contributors as Darren presented the pail to the angry mob. In the end, there was no individual, this was clearly a joint effort.

If the story is right, a foot soldier (probably Darren) then raced around the concourse to the other side of the ground in just enough time to make his delivery onto the departing referee. Think about it, referees don't hang around, they leave straight after full time. This 'unruly mob' got organised, and they did so quickly with a common goal.

Then there's the other story where the bucket was a metaphor used by Clark to describe how it felt at the time. But I personally prefer the more fuller, stickier version.

Nowadays, the mob on the hill (aka 'General Admission ticket holders') are not allowed to cross the east-west divide.

Of course this lack of decorum is not just confined to rugby league. Men, and women, behaving badly can be seen just about anywhere.

One of my favourite stories is from the 1970-71 Ashes Test series. At the Sydney Cricket Ground, the crowd mucked up in deluxe fashion. After finishing his spell, English fast bowler John Snow took a rest on the outer and entered into a frank exchange of views with the crowd on Yabba's Hill. Notorious for his short-pitched deliveries, often leveled at the heads of lower order batsmen, Snow was much hated by the Australian crowd. The Guardian in the UK reported: "when he returned to his fielding position at long-leg Snow was pelted with bottles, cans and partially-eaten pies".

But there was a greater prize that awaited Snow on this hot Sydney day. A fan on the fence offered a 'conciliatory' beer to the Englishman. In the interest of Anglo-Australian relations, Snow accepted the offering with a smile. He noticed it was a tad warm, but took a sip anyway. He reacted with repulsion, spitting out the liquid onto the SCG turf. The mob on the hill let loose with laughter. It turns out the can was full of urine!

But let us pause...

This is not about the spit, or the piss... This about the human condition to exhibit civil disobedience when the urge arises. The brain receptors that drive conservative folk to go against convention are a not-too-distant cousin to the same chemical responses that pushed part-time anarchists in Germany to knock down the Berlin Wall.

Don't laugh... you know it's true.

Is it peer group pressure? Or is it more an X-files styled telepathy taking hold? I reckon it's just people mucking up for the fun of it... But hey, you draw whatever conclusion you like.

Regardless of the reason, the instinct is overwhelming to the point where individuals will sometimes turn into a single mass, one entity, one animal. After all, working together is part of what makes us human.

But never underestimate the power of the individual. As mentioned at the top of this piece, the referee's humiliation also drew the response of outrage. To this day, some Saints supporters will tell you that Steve Clark used his position as referee to pay them back ten-fold in the subsequent years.

That being the case, Clark the individual had the last laugh.

|750 words|

Last edited:

dubopov

Coach
With the spirit of Billy "Capt Blood" Wilson, Dubopov looks around to see if he can spot Kenny "Bloody" Wilson to smash him before he can pot a field goal to give the Bluebags a 1-0 victory ...

A FAMILY AFFAIR

I was talking to a few mates at the local on the eve of the 1977 Grand Final replay when an old bloke strolled in wearing a Saints' jersey. Not realizing that pubs in country QLD hadn't heard of them, he confused the barmaid when he ordered a schooner.

" What about a pint then luv ? " he queried in a lilting voice.

" A what ? ".. Maureen was bamboozled and he just settled for a beer.

After my mates had called it quits, I was well lubricated, and, looking to continue to talk up the Bath's Babes' chances, I sidled up to the old bloke.
" Hey mate ", I blurted, "You reckon we're gonna win tomorrow ? ".

The old bloke peered over his glasses, " If 'we' are the Saints, young fellow, there is no doubt. However, if 'we' are Parramatta, their goose is cooked."

" 'We' are the MIGHTY SAINTS ", I assured him.

Our discussion then turned to the ins and outs of the 9 all Grand Final draw and the merits of our players performances. I made a point of talking up my latest hero, 'Lord Ted' Goodwin and rueing the fact that he and the diminutive half Shulman had both been injured in the second half, thereby restricting our attack.

" Pity Billy Smith had bowed out of firsts, he would have carried the day ", the old supporter opined.

I couldn't have agreed more. Billy Smith had been my childhood hero and one of the main reasons I supported the Saints. My grandmother had told me how she had Billy as a boarder when she lived in Sydney. Her husband Albert was a member of the club and they had close connections with the Saints during the 50's and early 60's before she mysteriously moved to join mum, her daughter, and our family in Dalby.

The beers started to get the better of me and I continued to outine why I was a Saints supporter despite being born and bred in QLD. The reasons were many and varied and centered around two of my family members - granny, and my older brother Des.

Apart from the obvious effect Granny's stories about Billy Smith and the greats had on me, she also told the story of meeting Harry Bath in England and how he convinced her and Albert to move to Australia.She also got me involved with all things red and white in the football world with stories of her favourite soccer teams Sunderland and Manchester United along with books about the ficticious 'Roy Of The Rovers'.

Even though most people I'd know would have pissed off by now when I was in Saints mode, the old bloke kept listening as I continued with my personal Saints' history. I finished my Granny rant with my story about watching my first game on her hire TV - the 1963 mudbath which sporned the current NRL trophy featuring the much revered Norm Provan.

A few more gulps of the amber fluid and I launched into the Saints' impact of Des who was eight years older than me. His first Saint-like influence was due to his local Club jersey, a white one with red epaulettes, which was always hanging conspicuously on the Hill's Hoist every Monday.

He also had a connection with local Toowoomba product, the great Elton Rasmussen, who had given coaching clinics to juniors, including Des, prior to moving to St George in 1962. Rasmussen had played for QLD in the earliest game I can remember hearing on the radio; a broadcast from 4IP in Ipswich by the irrepressiblie George Lovejoy, the most colourful of colourful callers. The game came alive when we snuggled in bed with a tranny ( radio, that is), listening to Lovejoy and his 'King on the wing' and 'Crowe in the front row.

Des later worked as an apprentice mechanic in Kingaroy where another apprentice, John Wittenberg, a future Saints' player who was my front row role model, played in first grade for the Kingaroy Red Ants.

"So ", I told the old guy, "Saints were always going to be my team."

He smiled and scolled the rest of his beer; " Good luck tomorrow. But don't worry, we'll win... And say hello to Mary and Kathleen. My thoughts are with them. "

Before I could react, he'd gone. How did he know my Granny and Mum's names ???

Last edited:

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Dragon_psa storms onto the ball and charges head on into his old hot tub buddies.

Soward: Saint or Sinner?

Jamie Soward has raised quite a lot of interest this season. He’s raised it both on and off the field, in fact.

There is no doubt that he is a freakish talent, and he has thrilled thousands of league fans (especially in 2009) with blistering pace,
a kicking game of almost demi-god ability (more than 3000 metres ahead of his nearest rival in kick gains), an uncanny footballer’s vision, and even the obligatory “unusual goal kicking ritual”. There is, however, a growing amount of people posting in forums and other media decrying him for such things as diving, being a speed bump in defence, and lately even biting. Have a look at this comment for example:

hillbillyjazzer1954 (http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=328991)

“......a brilliant (sic) player, and an absolute freak......but, and it is a huge but, he is a dog.....nah hang on a second that is an insult to my rotty and rotty/mastiff

he is a piece of sh*t, diver and can now add biting to his despicable (sic) resume
I hope every player absolutely smashes him

these type of cowards are not needed in our game”

The above comment was one particular thread that has to date elicited 298 responses. It seems to me to be an awful lot of hate, and to be honest it seems dumbfounding to me that a lot of it is coming from fans of the Sharks who have pictures of Paul Gallen in their signatures – how’s that for irony?!

Another contingent of these vitriol spewing masses are the Bulldogs fans. Ever since the controversial round ten victory over their team at Kogarah there has been a not insignificant number of blue and whites that even today still carry on about the infamous video ref decision as if it was Rugby League Armageddon. After that game, a group even started up on Facebook where certain elements were threatening death on Jamie!

Even the media seem to have jumped on the Soward Hater’s bandwagon, and it seems to me that he is being targeted. Granted, there are a large number of positive threads about him too, but I can’t help but think that more is being made of every “mishap” that he has in his game (however rare) than is necessary. Very few people bat an eyelid when other players stay down in the tackle. After all, it happens in every game to varying degrees. As for the biting incident, it has been investigated and officially deemed to not be worth any further action. As far as Soward and Ballin are concerned it was over and done with at fulltime, but it has been blown out of proportion in my opinion.

Speed bump? Greg Inglis runs over a lot of players. Jamie has proven that he can indeed defend when he has to, and only averages 1.79 missed tackles per game.

There is only one reason that my red and white coloured mind can think of for all this anti-Soward sentiment from of all these supporters of clubs other than the Dragons.

They’re sh*t scared of him.

Soward has taken his game under Wayne Bennett to a whole new level this year. The little dynamo has terrorised opposition defences this year, and will continue to do so. He is a confidence player, and with Uncle Wayne mentoring him he has it in spades! Opposition players will take some time to get over the nightmares he has created for them, and in conjunction with a team playing with spirit and a depth not seen from a Saints team since the late seventies, I get the feeling he is going to create plenty more.

Love him or hate him, Jamie certainly is an unforgettable player. His combination with Captain Ben Hornby has become arguably the most potent in the competition so far, and if it keeps going the way it is, we could well see the Red V in another grand final.

I for one think he will go on to higher representative honours and become one of Australia’s most widely loved sportsmen. After all, how could you not love a face like his?

687 words

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Looks like 9:00pm to me Big D. :thumn

Thank you time keeper.

Good luck to one and all.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Great reads my old chums. We would have been hard pressed to beat you even if we got all 5 in. Now go get that title back guys!

Baldwin

Juniors
PSA!
Talk to your players man, the reason were on bottom is cos no-ones gettin their articles in!
Lets recruit more players???