What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 - Rabbitohs vs Panthers: Thursday 20th April 7:50pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
It's Monday morning, the start of a new, fresh week which means we start looking forward to the next week of the competition as we move into Round 8. And we've got another blockbuster on our hands as we take on Penrith this Thursday night. Doesn't get much bigger than that. I've woken up absolutely breathing fire this morning, feels like it should be game day already. Absolutely burning for this game against these guys, I am pumped. Sick of losing to these pricks, sick of them having the wood on us, sick of their smug attitude, I'm sick of everything they represent. I've made my feelings towards the Panthers no secret for the last couple of years, so I won't ramble on about it, but I think I speak for a lot of people when I say it's pure hatred. I'm sure Panthers fans now feel the same.

Making the occasion that much bigger on Thursday night is the fact that Round 8 is the NRL's Anzac Round. One of the most special Rounds of the year where we remember and commemorate those who laid down their lives for our freedom. It's an incredibly important and special Round.

Now, as much as I hate to say it, right now, Penrith are probably the team to beat once again. They've unfortunately got over their early Season wobbled and are now in their groove and in blistering form. It was a poor performance from them this weekend gone, and I think that makes them even more dangerous coming into this one. Kind of similar circumstances to Round 2 to be honest, where they were poor the week before, then came out against us fired up and ready to go. I expect that to be the case once again in this one. They've quite simply got strike literally everywhere you look across their side. One of, if not, the best backlines in the comp, same goes for their halves and forwards. Obviously, the main one is Cleary as just about everything comes off him. They're missing Fisher-Harris and Martin, which are two big losses, but they've had someone else step up. I think we've seen a couple of examples over the years of how to beat Penrith, but it's easier said than done. Queensland showed the blueprint in Origin last year, we've shown it at times but haven't been able to get the job done. You stand up to them in the middle and don't let them have everything their way like the pricks are so used to. You've got to bash them. However, you must also make sure you're not falling into the trap of just going one out trying to bash them, we need to earn the right to shift the ball, and then move them around. It's also been shown that if you genuinely harass the crap out of Cleary, he can be put off, so this is a big area of focus.

For us, this is a big test. We've got exactly what we wanted out of the last two weeks, but it still has been far from perfect, so this week is about putting it all together for 80 minutes and finding out where we're really at. I genuinely feel like we can beat these guys, I really do, but we have to be on, and a lot has to go right. In fact, we have to be even better than just 'on.' There is no excuses this week for being off or not turning up with the right attitude, we're playing Penrith for God sake. Get our game right and we can bloody well do this!! A high completion rate is a must, an absolute must or they'll just eat you up as we have seen. I'm confident we can have the defence to limit them, but the attack still needs to be on song because they're one of the best defensive teams in the comp. I just want to see us go out there with a real 'f**k them' attitude. They're not the untouchable Gods they think they are so let's go out there and stick it to them for once. Get in their faces! We're not helped by the fact we'll be missing Junior and Keaon, but we must have that next man up mentality.

Ughhhh I am just so fired up already! As I said, I'm sick of this team being better than us. We haven't beat them since week one of the 2021 Finals so there's been a lot of pain since then. Bottle that up and inflict that pain on them. I'd love nothing more than to wipe that smug look off their faces. This is our chance to make a massive statement. We can f**king do this!!!

This is war and I'm ready.

Let's get into it!

Glory, Glory.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
2023 ANZAC Round Jersey: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/17/2023-anzac-round-jersey/

We're going greyscale this week for ANZAC Round. The jersey is grey to represent the hull of a submarine and it pays tribute to the Royal Australian Navy Submarine Service. Looks great, something different, but it's respectable and pays tribute to the ANZAC spirit. Hopefully it becomes a famous jersey by us beating Penrith.

Gallery - First Training Session at USANA Rabbitohs Centre: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/17/gallery-first-training-session-at-heffron/

Cook ready for the battle up the middle: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/17/cook-ready-for-the-battle-up-the-middle/

Jacob Host finding his groove ahead of Panthers clash: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/17/jacob-host-finding-his-groove-ahead-of-panthers-clash/

Start fast the focus for Murray: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/17/start-fast-the-focus-for-murray/

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 8 against the Panthers,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Arrow
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Chee Kam
12. Host
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Suluka-Fifita
16. Moale
17. Sele

Pretty self-explanatory really but this is what I think will be named tomorrow. I'm expecting Thompson to be back, I think Arrow starts. And I just have a feeling that Chee Kam will come straight into that starting spot on the right edge. They'll keep Cartwright as the 14.

Going to be interesting tomorrow!

handyman2190

Bench
Here's my predicted line up for Round 8 against the Panthers,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Arrow
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Chee Kam
12. Host
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Suluka-Fifita
16. Moale
17. Sele

Pretty self-explanatory really but this is what I think will be named tomorrow. I'm expecting Thompson to be back, I think Arrow starts. And I just have a feeling that Chee Kam will come straight into that starting spot on the right edge. They'll keep Cartwright as the 14.

Going to be interesting tomorrow!
Sele will start,jai will come off the bench

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for ANZAC Round eight against Panthers: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...squad-for-anzac-round-eight-against-panthers/

Team list Tuesday lesssgoooo!!

The line up is exactly as I predicted so I'll take that haha. Great to have Izaac back on the wing, Jai back in the starting side at front row, and Cheeks is a worthy replacement for Keaon. Aside from that, the side remains the same.

It looks strong, primed and ready for what will hopefully be a big one against Penrith. Thursday can't come soon enough man, I'm sooooo friggin fired up!!

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Insider Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/19/rabbitohs-insider-round-eight/

Jason Demetriou Coaches Media Round 8 v Panthers: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/19/jason-demetriou-coaches-media-round-8-v-panthers/

A fantastic pre-game day media conference for ANZAC Round, very special. Well done to the club for getting Mark Hammond on there to talk about the jersey, the submarine service and ANZAC. I loved what JD said about the game too, he seemed extremely intense and focused when talking about this game tomorrow and the Panthers, a real steel in his eyes.

Gallery - ANZAC Round Captain's Run: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/19/gallery-anzac-round-captains-run/

Steenson123

Juniors
This is your best chance in some time I reckon. It's a shame it's another stupid Thursday game and both teams are down on troops. I'm not as confident as I usually am, but still very much looking forward to the clash.
Attention! If Chee-Kam plays I believe the Coach has sacrificed a highly winnable contest. Yes Penrith are playing their second consecutive road game in 5 days and realistically, Newcastle murdered that game. Further, its their third game in 12 days. Pete Prisco of CBS always feared for teams playing their second straight road game but again if Chee-Kam plays we will be unable to hold the Penrith pack. Its up to Demetriou to make the right decision.

soc123_au

Staff member
Attention! If Chee-Kam plays I believe the Coach has sacrificed a highly winnable contest. Yes Penrith are playing their second consecutive road game in 5 days and realistically, Newcastle murdered that game. Further, its their third game in 12 days. Pete Prisco of CBS always feared for teams playing their second straight road game but again if Chee-Kam plays we will be unable to hold the Penrith pack. Its up to Demetriou to make the right decision.
Is Chee Kam that bad? Cant say I've watched him that closely, but I don't recall anything terrible from him.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Rabbitohs Insider Round 8: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/19/rabbitohs-insider-round-eight/

Jason Demetriou Coaches Media Round 8 v Panthers: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/19/jason-demetriou-coaches-media-round-8-v-panthers/

A fantastic pre-game day media conference for ANZAC Round, very special. Well done to the club for getting Mark Hammond on there to talk about the jersey, the submarine service and ANZAC. I loved what JD said about the game too, he seemed extremely intense and focused when talking about this game tomorrow and the Panthers, a real steel in his eyes.

Gallery - ANZAC Round Captain's Run: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/19/gallery-anzac-round-captains-run/
Very impressive press conference !!

Great work by the Club in honouring the submarine division and some wonderful words by JD and Mark Hammond…

callmack1

Staff member
Thompson a late withdrawal, he didn't fully train with the 17 today. Milne in again.

Ahhhh, the nerves and excitement are building. You just know it's gonna be a big one tomorrow.

Is Chee Kam that bad? Cant say I've watched him that closely, but I don't recall anything terrible from him.
No he's not that bad at all. I wouldn't rave about him but he's a very solid player who hasn't done much wrong for us this year and I hope it stays that way tomorrow.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Thompson a late withdrawal, he didn't fully train with the 17 today. Milne in again.

Ahhhh, the nerves and excitement are building. You just know it's gonna be a big one tomorrow.

No he's not that bad at all. I wouldn't rave about him but he's a very solid player who hasn't done much wrong for us this year and I hope it stays that way tomorrow.
I would have liked Thompson under those towering Cleary bombs.
Hope Milne can do the job as we have been weak under the high ball for several seasons…

callmack1

Staff member
Wooooooo! Let's f**king gooooo!! Have woken up this morning extremely pumped and ready to go. Rise and shine with me Souths fans! It's game day!! A huge one today as we take on one of our modern-day nemesis' in the Panthers. An absolute blockbuster on a Thursday night, there's no understating how big this game is and how much it means.

I've made it no secret about my feelings towards Penrith and that feeling only grows stronger every time we meet them. Cannot stand the pricks. So sick of losing to them, sick of the domination and them having the wood on us, sick of their smug attitude and I'm sick of everything they stand for. It's pure hatred now for me, it's become a big rivalry and I'm sure fans of both teams feel the same.

Making the occasion that much bigger on Thursday night is the fact that Round 8 is the NRL's Anzac Round. One of the most special Rounds of the year where we remember and commemorate those who laid down their lives for our freedom. It's an incredibly important and special Round.

As much as I dislike them and as much as I hate to say it, I'm under no allusions as to how tough this game is going to be tonight. There's a reason why they've been so dominant over us and so dominant in this comp the past three years. They are one hell of a team year after year and despite a shaky start to 2023, they've proven themselves to be the team to beat once again. I expect them to come out firing tonight as they were poor last week so I'm expecting to see an intensity similar to Round 2 which makes them incredibly dangerous. They always seem to turn it on against us. Such is the prowess of their side, I don't really see any particular 'key' battle tonight because we need to be on all over the park, it's not like playing some other teams in the comp, there is a key battle everywhere. But I think we really need to try and bash them. For years now, they've dished it out to us, well, it's time to turn the table and dish it out to them for once. Get up in their faces and bully the crap out of them.

For us, tonight is about finding out where we're really at. We'll find out if we really have improved and found our stride the past two weeks or whether or not that was just because of poor opposition. We'll really find out in this one. It's about putting it all together for 80 minutes now and you need to against Penrith. Complete your sets first and foremost but I don't want to see us fall into the trap of playing conservative against them like we have so often. Shift the ball, move them around a bit, that's how you beat them. AS JD said, play our style of Footy. What's more, although the defence has been good, we'll have to defend like we never have before. I'm confident we can have the defence to limit them, but the attack still needs to be on song because they're one of the best defensive teams in the comp. I just want to see us go out there with a real 'f**k them' attitude. They're not the untouchable Gods they think they are so let's go out there and stick it to them for once. Get in their faces! If we get our game right, we can do this.

The tide is about to f**king turn. We are long overdue for a win against them and it's happening tonight. So fired up! We haven't beat them since week one of the 2021 Finals so there's been a lot of pain since then. Bottle that up and inflict that pain on them. I'd love nothing more than to wipe that smug look off their faces. This is our chance to make a massive statement. We can f**king do this!!!

It is war and we must come out on top.

Glory, Glory!!!! Enjoy your game day.