What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Roosters Anzac Day

hewi

Bench

OPINION​

How Dragons have gone from bunnies to bullies in Flanagan’s new era​

Andrew Johns

Andrew Johns

League columnist
April 25, 2024 — 5.45am
Save

Normal text sizeALarger text sizeAVery large text sizeA

It goes without saying, but Anzac Day is one of the best rugby league days of the year.
It’s a special time when we get to remember and celebrate the men and women who fought for our freedom and our way of life. They made Australia one of the best countries in the world to live in. Forget football, they are the true heroes of our country.
https://archive.md/B4Ife#

And each year the traditional Roosters-Dragons clash seems to get bigger. It doesn’t matter what has happened in the opening couple of months of the season, you can usually throw the form guide out the window when it comes to this game. Both teams lift for the occasion and there’s usually little in the result.
Having said that, it’s going to be hard to ignore St George Illawarra’s form this year. There’s one area in which they’ve improved immeasurably, which is the key to their revival under coach Shane Flanagan: their forward pack.

Since the two drubbings against the Dolphins and Cowboys (in rounds two and three), they’ve shown an ability to bully teams through the middle.
Francis Molo looks a completely new player this year, Hame Sele has been a great addition and Jack de Belin is putting together his best patch of form for a long time. Even if the Roosters win on Thursday, they’ll wake up sore on Friday. That’s what the Dragons are doing to teams at the moment.
The St George Illawarra Dragons have been one of the season’s surprise packets.

The St George Illawarra Dragons have been one of the season’s surprise packets.CREDIT: GETTY
When the engine room is doing its job, it makes it easier for their strike players on the edges: Zac Lomax, Moses Suli and Jaydn Su’A. I suspect Ben Hunt’s pet play is going to get a workout at Allianz Stadium, where he throws the dummy to the right side, steps off that right foot and then either squeezes his way through the line or ducks underneath a tackle. It can be a really effective play for him against tiring defenders.
Like I said last week, I’m still finding it hard to get a read on the Roosters.

Sam Walker returns to the side and I’d love to see Trent Robinson just give him the keys to their attack. He’s the most instinctive and creative player they’ve got, and as we’ve seen this year, defences have been so much better repelling a structured style of attack. He’s got a rare gift to play outside that and spark his side.
I like the return of Dominic Young on the right wing outside Joseph Manu. He will make sure those half chances are converted, and you can see how much Newcastle is missing his threat this year.
The Molo-Jared Waerea-Hargreaves battle in the middle should be a beauty, but watch for the two No.1s – Sloan and James Tedesco – to have a huge bearing on the result. There won’t be much in this.
Joey’s tip: Roosters by 4
First try-scorer: Moses Suli
Man of the match: Sam Walker

Dragon David

First Grade
Every game for every team is a tough one this year. I know that there have been several blow out scores so far in the earlier games but on the right day for each team, they can win that game.

We have suffered from a couple of blow out games and we have scored some blow out wins and my feeling is that we are on a roll and with the two wins in a row we have achieved comes a great deal of confidence in each player and the team as a whole. The coaches have now been able to get the players playing to the best of their abilities and having a never say die attitude in attack and defence.

Defence is the key to winning this game today. The battle between our forwards and theirs will be fierce and our backs will need to cover defend really well against their guys.

I am wishing for a win by the Dragons today. Lets hope that it happens.

Victoire

Juniors
So pumped for this today, such a grand occasion. I remember going to the first one with my old man back in 2002... and even in front of a half-full SFS it was something a little special - the Roosters were a premiership calibre team and we were in the midst of the Andrew Farrar era, but we still almost knocked them off. That set the expectation henceforth that form doesn't matter. However today is the first time I'll be rocking up anticipating a win in quite a few years. Let's do this Saints!

Parko1310

Juniors
3 games in 12 days is going to be extremely taxing on any team, especially in the NRL. The positive is we go into a bit of a mini bye with a 10 day turnaround to our next game. If I'm Flano, I'm setting a real challenge to go out and get what will be an invaluable 2 points. If we can get 6 points out of our last three, that's absolutely massive. We can then prepare to go again for a local derby and souths at kogarah before going into our first actual bye.. then origin. This is a crucial game to pick up points.

CT and Suli will have to be on defensively again this week. Manu over on that side + Young who they'll be looking to float passes over the top to/kick in behind for. With a slow turn and chase CT will have to be very aware. Not to mention the aerial threat, if we're not confident of stopping it we need to get numbers over there for when Young comes down with the ball to hold him up/push him out.

I feel field position, obviously important in any match, is really important in this one. A few early Hunt kicks finding grass and making their forwards turn around and their back 3 work it out from their end is the way to go. I say this especially because they make a lot of stupid errors the roosters. Whether it be in the ruck, or trying a fancy early shift that ends up with a pass over the sideline, they shoot themselves in the foot constantly. If we can force them to come away from their own try line, they'll make a few of these errors and gift us opportunities. We just need to be good enough to put them in those positions.

I’m a little apprehensive about the Rorters today just a feeling but anyway let’s hope our dragons can show the Anzac spirit for all the diggers and us diehards
Me too.
Massive test for Sloan under the high ball today.
The Roosters will test him out constantly this afternoon.
Andrew Gee being the referee, we can expect no 50/50 calls to go our way.

Sam Walker returns to the side and I’d love to see Trent Robinson just give him the keys to their attack. He’s the most instinctive and creative player they’ve got, and as we’ve seen this year, defences have been so much better repelling a structured style of attack

This, from Joey, is the reason why Roosters terminated Kyle in Favour of Sam at the end of 2020.

How has that theory been working for the Roosters since then??

Sure, one dimensional structures like "Give it to Hunt", are easy to defend but when structures are multi dimensional they create indecision in defence.

We are seeing Kyle's positioning now shift from one side of the ruck to both sides and the whole team are starting to understand the game plan. Despite still being 'structured' they are varied plays and are creating space. And we are only just seeing the beginning.

Attacking teams can understand structures and be in position to reap the rewards but it's more difficult for teams to immediately be responsive, and take advantage of individual flashes of creativity.

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
3 games in 12 days is going to be extremely taxing on any team, especially in the NRL. The positive is we go into a bit of a mini bye with a 10 day turnaround to our next game. If I'm Flano, I'm setting a real challenge to go out and get what will be an invaluable 2 points. If we can get 6 points out of our last three, that's absolutely massive. We can then prepare to go again for a local derby and souths at kogarah before going into our first actual bye.. then origin. This is a crucial game to pick up points.
CT and Suli will have to be on defensively again this week. Manu over on that side + Young who they'll be looking to float passes over the top to/kick in behind for. With a slow turn and chase CT will have to be very aware. Not to mention the aerial threat, if we're not confident of stopping it we need to get numbers over there for when Young comes down with the ball to hold him up/push him out.

I feel field position, obviously important in any match, is really important in this one. A few early Hunt kicks finding grass and making their forwards turn around and their back 3 work it out from their end is the way to go. I say this especially because they make a lot of stupid errors the roosters. Whether it be in the ruck, or trying a fancy early shift that ends up with a pass over the sideline, they shoot themselves in the foot constantly. If we can force them to come away from their own try line, they'll make a few of these errors and gift us opportunities. We just need to be good enough to put them in those positions.
Kick early then belt the f**k out of them plays 1,2,3 and really set the tone. When we play aggressive the energy goes through the roof. Set the tone nice and early

Latest posts