What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 Vs Roosters ANZAC DAY GAME

blacksafake

First Grade
Last three losses.
Tries scored
Dragons 5 Roosters 4
Dragons 3 Raiders 3
Dragons 3 Titans 3
Anyone saying we don’t have a problem with our goal kicker of late isn’t watching.
Lomax is helping decide Hooks fate, interesting.
I don’t think anyone is saying that we don’t have an issue with kicking it’s the other issues, poor defence, boring attack which relies on one player’s individually, dumb penalties etc that are causing the kicking discussion.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
And the funny thing is goalkickers have an age to line up their kick. Position the ball, throw some grass in the air see which way wind is blowing, bend over and move it a centimetre either way, stand up over the ball with foot on one side, look up and down and talk to yourself, step back a few metres and curve your run to suit the side you’re kicking from, move forward and kick the ball. Oops missed
Reminds me of golf unfortunately. You line everything up, get the ball at the right height on the tee, allow for wind, adjust your grip and stance, and take a long slow controlled backswing. But then, just at the moment of contact, you lift your head a tiny bit and slice it off into the scrub.

Thinking a bit further about this, I presume Zac is kicking them OK at practice, otherwise why give him the kicking duties. So it must be a mental thing on the field. If so can be tricky to resolve. Maybe it's time to bring back that surfer meditation guy we used to have on the books.

Dragonsdiehard

Juniors
Many excellent comments and opinions here. For my two bits...
Our 'attack' was once again, mostly straight out of the Dragon's two-play play book on Tuesday - predictable, defendable and prone to error (I mean how often do we run ourselves into a deadend....)
I was unpleasantly surprised by the close final score because Radley's binning was the clear invitation to grab the win that we either didn't have the smarts or ability or fitness (or all three) to take up. Mediocre rating 4 (out of max 5).

Last edited:
Defence one pass of the ruck in the first half was under 13s stuff.

Worst I have seen for a very long time.

Defend the middle in the first half and we win the game with or without Lomax goal kicking
What i dont understand is why we change coaches and yet that style of play persists. I saw it tonight with the cowboys too. It seems only some coaches realise the game has changed. Sadly i watch the Sharks play and wish we played like them (what a horrible thought). But its that style of play that wins games.Our style suits the old unlimited tackle game. When will we learn

Dragon David

First Grade
About the Roosters, just read that they have signed for 2024 a young flyer from Wakefield Trinity Super League named Lewis Murphy. He has height and speed and is a try scoring machine and most probably will replace Daniel Toupou.

The Roosters do plan ahead and search high and low for quality. Our Football "geniuses" on the other hand don't appear to have plans set in place for anything much - except maybe what to have for a buffet next Tuesday.

The Roosters are a club that plan so well for the future. There is no need to panic. They know influential people abroad who can scout quality players for them when needed.

I'm deadset angry with our club who cannot get the right coach to enable anybody of good quality to be signed up. We have just got the also rans of Brisbane and Tigers - wow!

Dragon David

First Grade
About the Roosters, just read that they have signed for 2024 a young flyer from Wakefield Trinity Super League named Lewis Murphy. He has height and speed and is a try scoring machine and most probably will replace Daniel Toupou.

The Roosters do plan ahead and search high and low for quality. Our Football "geniuses" on the other hand don't appear to have plans set in place for anything much - except maybe what to have for a buffet next Tuesday.

The Roosters are a club that plan so well for the future. There is no need to panic. They know influential people abroad who can scout quality players for them when needed.

I'm deadset angry with our club who cannot get the right coach to enable anybody of good quality to be signed up. We have just got the also rans of Brisbane and Tigers - wow!
Wait on. The Roosters have got Dominic Young going to their club in 2024 as well. They will have two Pommie wingers who both can score tries.

since77

Juniors
Defence one pass of the ruck in the first half was under 13s stuff.

Worst I have seen for a very long time.

Defend the middle in the first half and we win the game with or without Lomax goal kicking
Well said. It’s ludicrous people blame a goal kicker when our defensive and attacking deficiencies are by far the biggest issues. Fix them, goalkicking doesn’t matter any more

TheRev

First Grade
o Great goalkickers might win you half a dozen games a year.. nothing else has that kind of impact.. and if we could sign a goalkicking winger, we should do it..

o But right now we cant do anything about it... Lomax at his worst is still better than Lobb/Sullivan, and tbh in that recent article they talk about the Halligan change.. it should give Zac more control and less of the randomness of his old style that sat up in the breeze.. which tbh although he was in the 80%'s.. he was never truly elite/reliable. However if it doesn't actually improve his percentage.. it could really damage his career.. that said tbh our year was written off before a ball was even kicked.. letting hook go around again... so if Zac is gonna miss kicks.. this is the year..

o I just want to mention a bit of a silly hypothetical thing... but we cant say things like 'take away 6 points' for MBye's bad tackle if u get me.. even if he makes the tackle.. when a half decent team is pumping you on your line set after set.. you are probably going to tackle your heart out.. and still they score 2 minutes later anyway (and no im not advocating letting tries in!). But the game resets on a try... you get a breather and 80m field position.. and you can try and put on a hit, get back in the grind etc.. I guess im saying you never know how the game would have panned out if 'MBye had made his tackle', as we would have still been under serious pressure trying to a) get the ball back and b) grind our way from our own goalline.

denis preston

First Grade

Their last winger from Super League didn’t work out so well.

thebigredv

First Grade
Yes I know. I don't think that he scored a try, did he? Ryan Hall.

It is not likely that Dominic Young won't score. That Lewis Murphy will fill in from time to time I should imagine.

It’s a disgrace David. You can already feel next year slipping away and this one has barely begun.

Roosters already have head-hunted a star back up for their star-studded backline and the major prospect that is Young. We don’t even know who will be coaching our lot in a few weeks.

I’ll say it again. It’s a disgrace! And it has gone on too long. I wish I could change footy clubs like I change underpants (i.e. once a year ;)). Instead we are all left to sit in this mire and watch the strong get stronger.

R.I.P St George. We are done for now. Done.