What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Souths Discussion + Voting

Snappy

Coach
We should be too classy for Souffs, however the same was said before the Panthers game.

I expect a much stronger performance from Souffs than they showed last week. Also GI has been copping it in the media all week, and if he wants to keep is Test and Origin Number 1 jersey, he needs a strong performance against the bloke likely to take them from him.

Broncos by 7

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Alex Glen out.
Knees to the back and not the first time this has happened to a Broncos player this season.
shit it's not even the second.

DeeJ

Bench
Oates might be out too. Hopefully not as he is a major strike weapon.

Glenn is replaced by Thaiday, so we don't lose anything in that department (except off the bench ofc).

Vaisefuder

Juniors
Oates was cleared to play after the Captain's run.

Looking forward to seeing Ese'ese play. He reminds me a lot of Fifita.

Nerd

Bench
I don't what happened to Burgess when he was over playing Rah Rah but he is definitely not the player he was. That cheap shot on Ofahengaue was just bad sportsmanship.

I also thought both no try calls on the obstructions should have been called trys.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from Ofahengaue. After getting cheap shotted from Burgess he put a few good hits back on the pom.

3. McGuire
2. Thaiday
1. Ofahengaue

Vaisefuder

Juniors
On Burgess - when Hodges did the same thing to Morris a few years ago it was called a grubby act, however I'm expecting the reaction from non-Broncos supporters to be that there was nothing wrong with it.

Macca is a big loss. Holds the middle of our defence up so well. Hopefully he's not out too long.

Nightward

Juniors
A bit disappointing really. The Rabbits were clearly off their game and the Broncos failed to capitalise. Still, this is the first game where Ben Hunt hasn't done anything dumb with his kicks and was solid to good throughout. Hopefully he's now on the road to recovery.

3. McGuire.
2. Milford.
1. Oates.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Really enjoyed the game, Souths were clearly frustrated as a club very down on form and we got dragged into the grubby contest with them (thought Maxwell lost control of the game).

Broncos clearly could had put almost double the points on if everything stuck and they remained focus on the game but Souths didn't roll over and kept doing enough to keep it somewhat respectable.

I was so proud of Wallace & Joe O tonight, Wallace gained huge credits with me with his relentless runs when we needed them & Joe O's defense all game was just great.

Milford's short kicking game tonight was great, forcing drop outs and generally putting them under pressure was good too see.

Hunt's running game is comming is returning a little more each week and its great.

3. Joe O
2. Wallace
1. Milford

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
On Burgess - when Hodges did the same thing to Morris a few years ago it was called a grubby act, however I'm expecting the reaction from non-Broncos supporters to be that there was nothing wrong with it.

It already happened last night. Johnsy had a hysterical meltdown about it last night but there are two reasons why the two incidents can't be compared:

1. Morris was injured when Hodges slid into the tackle. He wasn't submitting to a tackle. He wasn't able to.

2. Burgess threw his shoulder into the tackle last night and was purely looking to hurt the player.

I was at the game last night and it was really frustrating to see them keep going down the left side and coming up short. Great defence though and Gillett had a massive impact.

3. Gillett
2. Hunt
1. Milford

A bit of perspective though folks - yes it is disappointing watching some of the attacking options at the moment, but think about the position last year and how they improved. Couple that with the fact that their last three wins have been utterly dominant and they have let in just ONE try in the last three matches.

Pretty good position to be in.

Last edited:

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Tough slog for the first 30 mins. Made a few errors but our forwards lay the ground work and all our bench was firing especially Wallace and Ofahengaue.

Even though he didn't do a whole lot last night I'm liking Roberts more each week. Shows a real fighting spirit and I'm not taking about the minor scrap. Has a tendency to get lost sometimes and sometimes has a bit of a brain fade but also has that ability to catch sides off guard. Adds a bit of mongrel into the side as well as a tough tackler.

Hunts best match so far. Lets hope he goes on with it. Milford even though he wasn't his flashy best, always dangerous and always searching for that weak link. All our forwards were great but out of the pack have to go with McGuire.

First half good solid hit up. Great to see we can hang in there even when everything's not going our way. Concern about McCullough but Nikorima did well.

3. McGuire
2. Wallace
1. Oates

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. Hunt
2. Wallace
1. Oates

Easily Hunt's best game of the year and the first he has outplayed Milford, who was quite good too. We are getting into a little bit of a habit of attacking kicks early in the tackle count, I feel like we need to show a bit more patience unless the kick is really on.

I thought our forward pack had their best game of the year, led by Wallace who was outstanding and McGuire/Gillett were both good. No clue how Parker got mom it was one of his worst games although I guess they are taking the milestone into account.

It was a shame we didn't get the score out to 20-0 in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half, we had so many opportunities and would have really broke the back of Souths. In saying that it was good how we weathered their onslaught and came out on top in the end.

Reed was awful.

Macca a real blow simply because we no longer have good coverage in the 9. I don't see Nikorima as a big minutes player.

Dazzat

First Grade
3. McGuire
2. Milford
1. Wallace

Honourable mention to Gillett who pulled off some superb tackles one-on-one and probably sealed a spot in the Australia team.

One wonders if the plan is to continually hit the left side of the park, puzzling with Roberts waiting on the other side of the park.

I think it will be a blessing in disguise with McCullough off for a few weeks. As normal, those nasty hyper-extention knee injuries look worse than what they are ... remember Thurston in Origin doing something similar and was back the next week.

With MCullough's defensive workload he probably needs a break sometime during the year, and Nikorima was just starting to look disinterested IMO - his form had dropped off. Now with more game time he may just get some confidence back.

Hoping Bennett gives Berrell a run rather than bringing in Waddell.

Hauff

Juniors
Loss of Macca will really mess us up in defence. Nikorima has a lot of spark, but the D really opens up when he is on most times.

Reed issue isnt going to go away. It's not a form issue, he just isn't to the standard of the blokes around him so he breaks down too many plays. His future is in the forwards, or some other team.

Vaisefuder

Juniors
It already happened last night. Johnsy had a hysterical meltdown about it last night but there are two reasons why the two incidents can't be compared:

1. Morris was injured when Hodges slid into the tackle. He wasn't submitting to a tackle. He wasn't able to.

2. Burgess threw his shoulder into the tackle last night and was purely looking to hurt the player.

I was at the game last night and it was really frustrating to see them keep going down the left side and coming up short. Great defence though and Gillett had a massive impact.

3. Gillett
2. Hunt
1. Milford

A bit of perspective though folks - yes it is disappointing watching some of the attacking options at the moment, but think about the position last year and how they improved. Couple that with the fact that their last three wins have been utterly dominant and they have let in just ONE try in the last three matches.

Pretty good position to be in.

Maxwell only really has control when the players let him. If he refereed that match between Parra and Cronulla 15-odd years ago when Hayne binned or sent off three Cronulla players it would have been as bad or likely worse.

The difference between Hodges on Morris and Burgess on Joe-O was that Joe dived on a loose ball after a knock-on, whereas with Morris the ball was very much still in play. Both were pretty grubby acts, and while probably not deserving of a penalty under the letter of the law, were definitely unnecessary heavy contact that isn't really needed in the game.

Hunt has really stepped up the past few weeks and I guess a few easy games against some lesser teams is restoring his confidence. Good news for us, because to go one better than last year we need both he and Milford firing. Them both playing to their full potential at the same time would be a scary thought for any team bar maybe the Cowboys.

I was really impressed with our pack. We've been honest but lacking a bit of fire in the past few years, and to belt Souths in return when they were trying to dish it up to us was very satisfying to see. Wallace and Ofahengaue had their best games as pro-footballers, for different reasons. Wallace carted it up all night and has excellent leg-drive after contact in the tackle, making a ton of metres as a result, and Joe-O didn't take a backwards step all night in defence. Burgess and Co. won't forget him.

I think they're going left to Reed and Oates (particularly Oates), only then to open up the sucker punch with Roberts in the second half and it's been working. I'd like to see Roberts get more early ball in the first half though. His speed is simply astonishing. I don't know how many players could have got through after being checked twice to toe that ball through for Kahu's try.

The only thing I was concerned about this game, as with other games this year apart from last week, is that we're just staying with teams during games instead of kicking ahead, although after 2 months of the comp it's not a huge problem. If we're still doing it in August however we're going to have problems.

AMD

Juniors
3. McGuire
2. Hunt
1. O'Fahengaue

I really liked what I saw from our forwards last night, plenty of forward drive and some solid defence, particularly from O'Fahengaue. Hunt definitely had his best game of the season, and his running game has become a lot more prevalent over the last 2-3 weeks, hoping it continues.

On the negative side, Reed was absolutely f**king garbage last night, killed a lot of plays and good try scoring opportunities. Even defensively I thought he was quite average. Not sure what the fix for that could be tbh. Macca is a pretty big loss, though I felt Nikorima held up pretty well defensively.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Righto so reed had a bad game but lay off him ffs.
I still rate him and he's earnt a reprieve.
I enjoyed us grubbing it up as well need more of it.
We cop plenty so love it when we dish it out.
Shit it might stop all these knees to the back we've been copping.
Still in second gear and,winning comfortably.
Another dead set training run.
Loving the extreme butthurt from the peasants.

Last edited:

DeeJ

Bench
3. Hunt
2. Wallace
1. Oates

Hunt is getting back there, I also thought Milford's kicking was great and we finally started getting some repeat sets instead of trying to score off every play.

Wallace had his best game ever, he carried them for an extra 5m each run like Steve Price.

Dazzat

First Grade
Reed cops alot of undeserved flack. He's a ranga and he runs awkwardly. I truly believe some people can't see past that. He is usually a solid defender and sets up a fair few tries. How's Oates going? Being tipped for Origin so Reed can't be doing too badly.

Big Pete

Referee
3. Josh McGuire
2. Ben Hunt
1. Jarrod Wallace

It was the most pleasing performance since Round 4. Things weren't working out, so Brisbane went to Plan B and it worked a treat.

Good fire from the forward pack as well. They brought the crowd into it and got the better of the Souths pack.

Love ANZAC weekend footy.