What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 v Broncos

Kilkenny

Coach
Almost certainly will be 2 - 7 after this week as there is simply no way I can see us turning around the way we have been playing, it simply isn't going to happen.

It will be interesting to see the team line-up although I suspect there will be few if any meaningful changes.

Given our obvious lack of confidence, fitness, structure and effort the actual make up of the side probably isn't going to alter the performance or result.

There is clearly issues within the coaching and playing group. We have a strong playing roster on paper but the vast majority of the playing group simply aren't performing anywhere near to what they are capable of.

I was going to pick a 17 for this week in this thread, but what's the point really. I am really gutted at this point in time after looking forward to this season with so much optimism.

If there's any game that we will turn it around in it will be this one. Hopefully they can take confidence out of last year's win at Suncorp and the Broncos are due for a loss after two rather lucky wins. We really need Merrin and co. to stand up but I certainly give us a chance.

soc123_au

Staff member
Not sure why they bothered sending a team. Could have saved a few grand on airfares & hotels and forfeited. They are playing like they have already been beaten.

Exsilium

First Grade
There is clearly issues within the coaching and playing group. We have a strong playing roster on paper but the vast majority of the playing group simply aren't performing anywhere near to what they are capable of.

I believe the appointment of Moylan as captain has hurt this team. He doesn't represent the type of captain we need. I've always said tha Moylan looks great in attack and statistically one could argue his defence is good but what has always been a sore point is his lack of effort toward doing his job at fullback.

Few examples:

- He often gets caught out of position on our line, is often the last player to the breakdown.
- He tries too hard to create everything rather then distrubute to our outside men.
- Rarely defends in the line.
- Is far too casual about balls going dead or the urgency to get to the ball and shut down plays.

This would annoy me no end if I was a player in this side. His attitude blows and hes fast becoming overrated. Id have anyone else at fullback over moylan.

I believe the appointment of Moylan as captain has hurt this team. He doesn't represent the type of captain we need. I've always said tha Moylan looks great in attack and statistically one could argue his defence is good but what has always been a sore point is his lack of effort toward doing his job at fullback.

Few examples:

- He often gets caught out of position on our line, is often the last player to the breakdown.
- He tries too hard to create everything rather then distrubute to our outside men.
- Rarely defends in the line.
- Is far too casual about balls going dead or the urgency to get to the ball and shut down plays.

This would annoy me no end if I was a player in this side. His attitude blows and hes fast becoming overrated. Id have anyone else at fullback over moylan.
Because he's a half and not a fullback maybe? Some of us have been saying this for over 2 years

Exsilium

First Grade
Because he's a half and not a fullback maybe? Some of us have been saying this for over 2 years

I know, I agree. I think I'm just resigned to the fact we wont ever see him there.

What I'm saying is that he doesn't do enough for this team at fullback. He's wasted and we have better. Id even put Hiku or DWZ at fullback before Moylan.

Not suggesting hes a bad player but right now hes a square into a triangle hole. If we arent going to use him for what hes good for then we will continually be weak at fullback

I know, I agree. I think I'm just resigned to the fact we wont ever see him there.

What I'm saying is that he doesn't do enough for this team at fullback. He's wasted and we have better. Id even put Hiku or DWZ at fullback before Moylan.

Not suggesting hes a bad player but right now hes a square into a triangle hole. If we arent going to use him for what hes good for then we will continually be weak at fullback
100% and DWZ would suit playing with Moylan in the 6 but its looking like we will never know. if Gus sticks with Griffin .....he will and we can't make the 8 in a few weeks....which will happen AND he still doesnt try Matty at 6 i might honestly give up

Kilkenny

Coach
The Moylan hate is born out of our poor form. I don't think he is deserving of the criticism he is receiving on this forum. There lot's of reasons for our poor start and form to this season but for the most part our forward pack simply haven't been delivering. Moylan, Cleary, TMM and the backline simply cannot perform at there best if our pack isn't dominating. Clearly our forwards have been poor for the most part of the season thus far. At the same time our structure, game plan and set plays are non existent so the blame there surely lays with the coaching staff. We have massive problems and at this point I don't see it getting any better.

The Moylan hate is born out of our poor form. I don't think he is deserving of the criticism he is receiving on this forum. There lot's of reasons for our poor start and form to this season but for the most part our forward pack simply haven't been delivering. Moylan, Cleary, TMM and the backline simply cannot perform at there best if our pack isn't dominating. Clearly our forwards have been poor for the most part of the season thus far. At the same time our structure, game plan and set plays are non existent so the blame there surely lays with the coaching staff. We have massive problems and at this point I don't see it getting any better.

Lack of speed isn't anything to do with form & that's his biggest flaw at fullback.

He has too much on his plate, fullback, captain & main playmaker and he isn't really that good a fullback to begin with.

Moylan is a natural playmaker, so of course the other issue with him not playing 5/8 is simply having too many cooks. Cleary & TMM look lost not knowing their roles.

It's not about hate it's more about recognising fullback is not his position. He's either a 5/8 or he ain't in the team.

Exsilium

First Grade

I appreciate what you're saying and yes out team has some big issues. However. Moylan has always been that player we need to have in the side, even if its out of position, natural or otherwise.

He is down on form but again I link that to the captaincy.

Griffin did the same thing at the Broncos. Stuck with the same 17 week in week out. People wanted his head. He often came out and said things like "they're young" and "theyll learn to play week in and week out".

A lot of those players he persisted with and kept playing, despite form, are now mainstays.

What Im suggesting is that Griffin wants the young guys to find their feet, trust in their ability and keep learning to cope with the pressures of first grade footy. Come the back end of the year I think they will have found their feet and then take that into the next year. Not ideal but if they think this is the core of our side for years to come, it will take time.

I wont excuse all his choices but sticking with the core group may be what we need. This will be hurting them too. When we win, we will win good and the wins will keep coming.

Panthers coach Anthony Griffin names his 21-man squad to face Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday. The Panthers will wear their 2017 Away Jersey.

Panthers v Brisbane
7.50pm Thursday @ Suncorp Stadium

1. Matt MOYLAN (c)
2. Peta HIKU
3. Dean WHARE
4. Waqa BLAKE
5. Dallin WATENE-ZELEZNIAK
6. Bryce CARTWRIGHT
7. Nathan CLEARY
8. James TAMOU
9. Peter WALLACE
10. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD
11. Corey HARAWIRA-NAERA
12. Isaah YEO
13. Trent MERRIN

14. Tyrone PEACHEY
15. Leilani LATU
16. Tim BROWNE
17. Moses LEOTA
18. James FISHER-HARRIS
19. Te Maire MARTIN
20. Viliame KIKAU
21. Sitaleki AKAUOLA

Panthers ISP coach Garth Brennan names his side to face Blacktown Workers at H.E Laybutt Sports Field on Sunday.

ISP Panthers v Blacktown Workers
3pm Sunday @ H.E Laybutt Sports Field

1. Dylan EDWARDS
2. Lachlan STEIN
3. Michael OLDFIELD
4. Samisoni LANGI
5. Christian CRICHTON
6. Tyrone MAY
7. Darren NICHOLLS
8. Sitaleki AKAUOLA
9. Mitch REIN
10. Viliame KIKAU
11. Kaide ELLIS
12. Jack HETHERINGTON
13. Sione KATOA (c)

14. Corey WADDELL
15. Paea PUA
16. Oliver CLARK
17. Nick LUI-TOSO
18. Cowen EPERE
19. Liam COLEMAN

Panthers NYC coach David Tangata-Toa names his side to face Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday.

NYC Panthers v NYC Broncos
5.10pm Thursday @ Suncorp Stadium

1. Caleb AEKINS
2. Brian TOO
3. Richie MUNCHOW
4. Sam MARTIN-SAVAGE
5. Daniel BROWN
6. Dean BLORE
7. Jarome LUAI
8. Stefano HALA
9. Wayde EGAN (c)
10. Carl WINTERSTEIN
11. Reed IZZARD
12. Billy BURNS
13. Liam MARTIN

14. Mitch KENNY
15. Tevita MAPAPALANGI
16. Vondel WILLIAMS-LIOLEVAVE
17. Tom SKINNER
18. Mitch REVELL
19. Ray MAROUN
20. Jake BRENNAN
21. Mose FEILO
22. Jamon WORMLEATON
23. Ben CARTWRIGHT

TMM didn't travel to QLD so you can scrap him from the 21 man squad.
I think he will bring fish in if declared fit and that will be it.
Not the shake up our side needs.

Last edited:
Panthers facebook have banned me from commenting, I didnt swear or get personal at all. Just honest opinons on the awful bench and Griffin's coaching ability. Everyone needs to slam the club on social media to help build pressure on our awful coach

Panthers facebook have banned me from commenting, I didnt swear or get personal at all. Just honest opinons on the awful bench and Griffin's coaching ability. Everyone needs to slam the club on social media to help build pressure on our awful coach

I'd rather a fan online Q & A with Gus. Lets put him under some heat and see his answers.

Whino

Bench
Aw that side is awful. I bet he brings JFH straight back into the starting side and dumps CHN. Its the kind of stupid thing he would do.