What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Wb1234

Referee
But who really gives a F about being a ‘star’ in Argentina or Japan - neither are destinations I hear people aspiring to go and live….
They won’t even be stars there union is tiny

but they will be stars in nsw and qld

Wb1234

Referee
Who said anything about being a star.

I would have no problem with living in Japan if somebody paid me to do it. It’s a great country. There are also some parts of Australia that are absolutely c*** and I have no interest in living in.

The point is just because you couldn’t see yourself doing it, or I could, doesn’t mean that everybody else shares our point of view. You shouldn’t just assume that everybody thinks what you think.
Players don’t want to move to another state long term let alone another country for their job

Colk

First Grade
Paris has one union teams lots of other ones are in small villages

in the south of France you can play for les Catalans if you want to live in the south of France

England is a total write off in terms of quality of life vs Sydney or Brisbane

Japan might be good for a visit but raising kids and learning a new language ?

this thing about players wanting to see the world as being exclusive to union is a myth

nrl players go for money

an overseas holiday isn’t that hard to pay for an nrl player on one million pa

Again you’re assuming that everybody else thinks the same as you do.

If I were a twenty year old and somebody offered me hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions and the chance to live securely in another country, I personally would take it up. The chance to live and experience another culture is a pretty cool thing to do in my opinion. But I’m interested in learning about other cultures and languages.

Others don’t think that way though and would do the opposite.

As the old adage goes whatever floats your boat

Wb1234

Referee
Again you’re assuming that everybody else thinks the same as you do.

If I were a twenty year old and somebody offered me hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions and the chance to live securely in another country, I personally would take it up. The chance to live and experience another culture is a pretty cool thing to do in my opinion. But I’m interested in learning about other cultures and languages.

Others don’t think that way though and would do the opposite.

As the old adage goes whatever floats your boat
Suaali is 19

his earnings from union will be close to 2 million pa including march payments and sponsors

that’s the kind of overs they had to pay to get him across

when’s the last time a league player went for less money

if touring overseas was desireable they wouldn’t have to pay overs to get them

Colk

First Grade
Give an example of one who did then

Off the top of my head Sonny Bill Williams, Jordan Rapana, Blake Ferguson, Craig Wing, Semi Radrada.

In any case, I think you misunderstand my point. You are implying that Australians aren’t interested in living and working overseas because you stated that Sydney and Brisbane are better

All I’m suggesting is that there are some Australians who are very interested in working or living overseas because there are plenty who are currently doing that. Seriously, I don’t even know what you are actually arguing with me about.

Again, just because you have no interest in doing that doesn’t mean other people have the same opinion.

BODISGOD

Bench
To put it into perspective how small rugby is in South Africa, it's seen as a 'boer sport ' meaning 98% of the population will never watch it.

To watch rugby it's similar to here, you need pay television and then pay a further pay wall for the Rugby channel. In a country as dirt poor as Sth Africa I can only imagine what tiny percentage of homes have the rugby channel.

Like the majority of the globe Soccer is thier religion, cricket and rugby are waaaay down the list.
Paris has one union teams lots of other ones are in small villages

in the south of France you can play for les Catalans if you want to live in the south of France

England is a total write off in terms of quality of life vs Sydney or Brisbane

Japan might be good for a visit but raising kids and learning a new language ?

this thing about players wanting to see the world as being exclusive to union is a myth

nrl players go for money

an overseas holiday isn’t that hard to pay for an nrl player on one million pa
There’s two teams in Paris.

I’m not sure what planet you are thinking that Lyon, Montpellier, Bordeaux and Toulouse are villages. Heck Super League are targeting expanding to Toulouse themselves.

It seems likely that you just need to leave that bubble of yours….!

taste2taste

Juniors
The best centre in world rugby right now is Garry Ringrose who is nowhere near a bosher.

RTS was dropped to the All Blacks second team- behind Jordie Barrett, David Havili and Anton Lienert-Brown who are all ball players.

There is a role for a physical centre no question, but I don’t think that has changed considerably in the last 15 years and the best ones are not in that mould.

This is the best center in Rugby ? Wow! Ok, now I see why RA wants Haas, Murray, Crichton ..etc
Actually , anyone who can defensively read a block play would be worth thier weight in gold :D

Wb1234

Referee
Off the top of my head Sonny Bill Williams, Jordan Rapana, Blake Ferguson, Craig Wing, Semi Radrada.

In any case, I think you misunderstand my point. You are implying that Australians aren’t interested in living and working overseas because you stated that Sydney and Brisbane are better

All I’m suggesting is that there are some Australians who are very interested in working or living overseas because there are plenty who are currently doing that. Seriously, I don’t even know what you are actually arguing with me about.

Again, just because you have no interest in doing that doesn’t mean other people have the same opinion.

They went for money not for the chance to play overseas

Wb1234

Referee
There’s two teams in Paris.

I’m not sure what planet you are thinking that Lyon, Montpellier, Bordeaux and Toulouse are villages. Heck Super League are targeting expanding to Toulouse themselves.

It seems likely that you just need to leave that bubble of yours….!

This bubble

BODISGOD

Bench

This is the best center in Rugby ? Wow! Ok, now I see why RA wants Haas, Murray, Crichton ..etc
Actually , anyone who can defensively read a block play would be worth thier weight in gold :D
Yup- you should probably watch a full game before commenting next time! His back up actually mugged off RTS last year in a game.

Wb1234

Referee

How many people know who he is in Australia

five ?

taste2taste

Juniors
Who said anything about being a star.

I would have no problem with living in Japan if somebody paid me to do it. It’s a great country. There are also some parts of Australia that are absolutely c*** and I have no interest in living in.

The point is just because you couldn’t see yourself doing it, or I could, doesn’t mean that everybody else shares our point of view. You shouldn’t just assume that everybody thinks what you think.
Plenty of people hate the travel as love it.
Mat Rogers cited the travel as the main reason he returned to league.
Haas missed the RLWC because he didn't want to be away from his family.
Yeo said most of the Kangaroos were counting down the days until they could return home.

But then there are players like Maloney who have been playing almost for free in to stay in France.

Wb1234

Referee
Yes it’s a lovely city but there is still a reason why many from there go to live abroad for a period. It’s a perfectly normal outlook for someone looking to broaden their horizons for a couple of years.
Not many rugby league players do

for a reason

indeed when the salary cap goes up perhaps many union stars will want to come and play in Sydney in our competition

BODISGOD

Bench
How many people know who he is in Australia

five ?
No idea but there’s a bigger world than Australia mate.

Actually getting out of the bubble is nice for people. I recall Sonny Bill Williams saying that even though he went into debt moving to Toulon that it was nice to live somewhere for a period where nobody knew who he was.

gUt

Coach
Ehhh rugby is still doing well and growing outside of Australia. No doubt the game looks like it’s on the verge of disappearing but it’s not the same story everywhere.

Rugby is dying even in England. It's a shit sport with limited appeal and it's going nowhere fast.