What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Pneuma

First Grade
Genuine question.... but.... what are the improvements Union have made to grass roots ?
Well in Queensland they’ve rationalised their community playing pool from 44000 registered players to 29000. Outstanding achievement. Huzzah!

Exsilium

First Grade
Genuine question, not trying to start a fight .... what are the improvements Union have made to grass roots ?

More money for sporting clinics, recruitment days and 'round robin' style competitions at rugby schools to generate interest.

Lots of GPS schools have 'Old Boys' attending schools and promoting the nostalgia of RU and the theatre of the sport.

They are also giving money to local clubs in exchange for younger players staying on after school.

Not a lot different to RL but they are trying to put the RU brand out there.

Pneuma

First Grade
More money for sporting clinics, recruitment days and 'round robin' style competitions at rugby schools to generate interest.

Lots of GPS schools have 'Old Boys' attending schools and promoting the nostalgia of RU and the theatre of the sport.

They are also giving money to local clubs in exchange for younger players staying on after school.

Not a lot different to RL but they are trying to put the RU brand out there.
Sounds spiffing! Getting the ‘old boys’ along!

Exsilium

First Grade
Well in Queensland they’ve rationalised their community playing pool from 44000 registered players to 29000. Outstanding achievement. Huzzah!

QLD isn't a huge RU state, which has never really changed.

NSW, ACT and NZ is the fruit bearer for RU and they are selling on opportunity to make grade.

Exsilium

First Grade
Sounds spiffing! Getting the ‘old boys’ along!

It sounds pretty boring but I remember when Matt Burke came to our training session and he gave the best performers a signed jersey and his own personal boots. I ended up with them and I was stoked.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The code war nonsense is all on the rugger bugger's heads.

Union are don xuixote tilting at the rugby league windmill. A gnat on an elephant.

There is nobody that they can target that will stop their downward trajectory.

This Hamish dork is like Kenny Bania, trying to hitch a ride on rugby league's success.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The biggest thing union had was the wallaby jersey. Now any plod from league who signs up immediately gets one. Every test they play now is just a warm up exercise for the world cup. No one gives a f**k about the other trophies.

Wb1234

Referee
Wow so they never got the old boys involved

you can’t make this up

afl and league have drained unions grassroots

heck in my old school the number of unions teams in year 12 was five now it’s lucky to be two

afl has Infiltrated these schools and those players are perfect for taking marks as well as jumping in a line out

Exsilium

First Grade
Wow so they never got the old boys involved

you can’t make this up

afl and league have drained unions grassroots

heck in my old school the number of unions teams in year 12 was five now it’s lucky to be two

afl has Infiltrated these schools and those players are perfect for taking marks as well as jumping in a line out

If you don't mind me asking, what school?

The old boys being brought back is a simple trick to play on the nostalgia of the peak moments of whatever sport.

A friend of mine just finished a Tennis clinic with the Poo and Pat Rafter. Despite both not having been a thing for a decade or more (Except for Rafter coaching), felt more connected to the sport because he looked up to these guys.

I played an Oz tag comp in the outer west, it was full of old RL players. It was great to banter with them and say you were amongst previous stars of the game.

If Nathan Cleary, Latrell Mitchell or any other modern day 'superstar' came to my school, I'd be wrapped and my love for the game would go up a notch. It's a powerful marketing tool.

Pneuma

First Grade
L
QLD isn't a huge RU state, which has never really changed.

NSW, ACT and NZ is the fruit bearer for RU and they are selling on opportunity to make grade.
Losing 33% of your player pool is significant when you are the second biggest provider of wannabes.

Wb1234

Referee
If you don't mind me asking, what school?

The old boys being brought back is a simple trick to play on the nostalgia of the peak moments of whatever sport.

A friend of mine just finished a Tennis clinic with the Poo and Pat Rafter. Despite both not having been a thing for a decade or more (Except for Rafter coaching), felt more connected to the sport because he looked up to these guys.

I played an Oz tag comp in the outer west, it was full of old RL players. It was great to banter with them and say you were amongst previous stars of the game.

If Nathan Cleary, Latrell Mitchell or any other modern day 'superstar' came to my school, I'd be wrapped and my love for the game would go up a notch. It's a powerful marketing tool.
Inner west Sydney

illas went to it so did tane edmed

Pneuma

First Grade
The biggest thing union had was the wallaby jersey. Now any plod from league who signs up immediately gets one. Every test they play now is just a warm up exercise for the world cup. No one gives a f**k about the other trophies.
Twenty five years ago I would attend functions where signed wallaby jerseys would raffle for over $2000. These days you’d be lucky to get $25

Delboy

First Grade
Travel being a lure is dumb! Look at any League players club or personal off season postings, they are in places from Texas, Rockies, Italy, Russia. Vietnam, Japan etc etc

They can actually afford a holiday and not tack on a couple of days when the Wobblies are playing a game where they rarely touch the ball. Typical elite toff statement that has little real relevance these days given the salaries of NRL players.

BODISGOD

Bench
As discussed ad nausseum on this thread 50% love the travel 50% hate it. For every James Maloney there is a Matt Rogers.

For example Nelson Asofa turned down rugby and the chance to see the world for the 2nd time in his career to stay home at Melbourne....but maybe Payne Haas will jump at the chance and accept a Top 14 contract to live abroad.
Again though, Rogers is different. In that scenario it was the fact that he was travelling all the time that wore him down. It is not unusual for biz travelling to become annoying.

Moving somewhere for 6 months or a couple of years is a bit different. The top players are getting £1m ($1.8m AUD) sterling in Japan right now. 6 months to play soft rugby, that sounds very appealing to a player mid career. Even the lower tier ones getting a half or a quarter of that get well paid to live somewhere different for a short stint.

Of course you’re right, there are people who just hate not being at home. Though it still might attract them. George Williams came down to the Raiders but then said he wanted to go home. Didn’t Bill Ashurst one day say to his team that he wanted to go home and they thought he meant to his home in Sydney but instead he was on the next flight back to England….he still spent two years at it.

Latest posts