What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League cliches

We hear them everyday.

Fans, commentators, players and journos - Trotting out repetitive sayings that don't go a week without being said. Its sad, its terrible, its something that is cringeworthy.

So what are the best ones? What are the most annoying ones?? For me, ill start with a few:

"Taking things one week at a time"
"Have a go ya mug"
"His been doing that all day" (After 5 minutes)
"It was a game of two halves"
"We need to show up ready to play"

Keep going!

Cheers,
Moffo

C

CanadianSteve

"go forward" and "on the back foot". I've heard these expressions in the few RL videos I've seen - do they qualify as cliches?

El Duque

Bench
Quite often when one of the channel 9 commentatorslittle favourites drops a simple ball they'll say "you won't see him do that again all year". This is quite often followed by the same mistake.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Steve: 'On the back foot' is a cricket term.

It means that the batsmen is negotiating an unpredictable delivery and has to step back to give himself more time to decide the best course of action.

Colloquially, when someone is on the 'back foot', it means they are on the defensive and this saying has carried over into other areas. In footy, it simply means that a team is scrambling to defend their line.

Interestingly, some of the best cricketers are at their best when 'on the back foot' and some batsmen have made these back foot shots their trade mark. So in reality, its notalways a defensive shot.

'Go forward' I would think is self explanatory.

C

CanadianSteve

Yes, I figured I knew what they meant, and they are very apt, descriptive expressions. Are they also cliches? I suppose expressionsbecome cliches when they get tired and over-used.

In North American sport, one of the most over-used is "step up", as in so and so is going to have to step up if his team is going to win, or our defense really stepped up today.

R

roostergirl

I like the ones that involve the timing of the game: "the game won't be won in 10 minutes" & "i think this will be an 80 minute ball game" no shit!!!! LOL

Latest posts