What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league in MacArthur Region Dead.

Just read this .
It's a DT article from when they were in full RL warfare mode So probably not that factual
Anyone from the area shed some light on it .

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...thur-region-dead/story-fngr8h70-1227599439862

WHAT was once the heartland of rugby league in Sydney has now been declared “dead” by East Campbelltown Eagles life member Daniel Draper.

He said in the past two years rugby league in the Macarthur region had lost more than 500 players.

“That’s enough players to fill 20 teams,” he said.

Draper blames a number of factors for the decline.

“Other sports are much more proactive than league in terms of being visible to junior clubs and schools,” he said.

“The Western Sydney Wanderers (A-League) and GWS Giants (AFL) come out here on a regular basis to do clinics and school visits, you hardly ever see the Wests Tigers out here.

“Wests Tigers have neglected the area, Western Suburbs Magpies have moved to Liverpool, and we have no facilities for rugby league in the area.

“Soccer is getting a great facility at Lynwood Park with synthetic pitches, an administration base and a great setup.

Who is winning the code war?

“Rugby league doesn’t have anything like that.

“Our players have to travel all the way to the other side of Liverpool at Warwick Farm to play representative football, that’s not fair to most of the Group 6 area.”

Former Campbelltown Mayor, Councillor Paul Lake, said rugby league’s governing body had let down the grassroots of the game.

“If numbers are down it’s because the Wests Tigers have not been present in the local area for a long time,” he said.

“If you had a team based in the area, that would certainly help.

“The NRL governing body have been concentrating more on the top flight of the game than the grassroots.

“Dave Smith (former NRL CEO) never had an interest in the game out our way.”

Draper said Campbelltown Council could and should do more for the game to bring back the Tigers and the Western Suburbs Magpies.

“If you have the choice of paying to use Campbelltown Stadium or getting paid $100,000 to play at ANZ Stadium, I know where I’d play too,’’ he said.

“The Tigers are going base their operations at Liverpool if everything goes to plan, why can’t Campbelltown Council convince them to use its centre of excellence.”

thorson1987

Coach
Draper does know what he is talking about.

Has been involved with the East Campbelltown club for as long as I can remember.

The Western Sydney Wanderers (A-League) and GWS Giants (AFL) come out here on a regular basis to do clinics and school visits, you hardly ever see the Wests Tigers out here.

That bit I'm not too sure on though.

My son only had Tigers players at his school this year, and iirc on that one day they had Tigers players at alot of the local schools.

Only time I have seen GWS people was last weekend at Light Up Camden, which is a Xmas festival.

Young bloke was trying his hardest to get people to sign up for a competition where you win free tickets to GWS games next year. Everyone I saw just kept saying not interested and I didn't see many names on the list when I had a sneaky look.

Have also never seen anyone to do with the Wanderers out here.

With regards to local playing numbers, senior grades in the Western Suburbs comp have increased over the past 10 years, going back before that to when I last reffed we only had a 4 team A Grade comp and Group 6 has also had years where they have lost teams, but now they have a decent 1st, reserves and 3rd grades with 2 divisions in U/18's.

My son started playing U/6's this year and there seemed to be around the same number of teams as there used to be, but I'm not too sure on the older age groups though.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Would like to see what would happen if the A-League season was played in the middle of the season with competition from the NRL, home Wallabies tests, AFL and Super Rugby. That's one of the advantages of playing in the summer.

roofromoz

First Grade
I haven't really been keeping an eye on it, but I want to sign up my eldest for the Camden Rams next year. He would qualify for the U7's, but I would be curious to see how strong the intake is based on this article.

thorson1987

Coach
I haven't really been keeping an eye on it, but I want to sign up my eldest for the Camden Rams next year. He would qualify for the U7's, but I would be curious to see how strong the intake is based on this article.

Juniors out in group 6 is usually quite strong, particularly clubs like Camden.

Just enjoy the early morning trips to Robertson.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If western Sydney is getting nothing from the NRL, no one is.

Crying-Baby-Natural-High-for-Some-Moms.jpg

Typical contribution from someone who knows and offers nothing about the game outside the nrl.

Western sydney is probably the only place on the planet that the nrl actually does its f**king job and throws more than a negligible amount of its resources into the game.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Former east c'towm player here. It's always been this way. The 500 player loss is always from the senior grades across the league. We used to have two teams in the same division. We were that stacked lol. The following year we could barely field a team. Most of the guys moved on to other teams like Mt Annan

thorson1987

Coach
Former east c'towm player here. It's always been this way. The 500 player loss is always from the senior grades across the league. We used to have two teams in the same division. We were that stacked lol. The following year we could barely field a team. Most of the guys moved on to other teams like Mt Annan

How long ago.

Always went as you went up in age groups teams would slowly disappear.

Then most people would go to group 6 for seniors.

Shit when I played U/18's in 05 we only had 2 teams (All Saints Liverpool who I played for and ESA).

We both played in the Canterbury comp that season and both sides had one half of the Magpies SG Ball squad.